Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did Oroville to Fortuna and back today. had a friend stop by on her way to do the redwoods/lost coast area. she was nervous about riding 36 by herself and asked me to show her the way over to Fortuna. never have I spent as much time under 3,000 rpm. very different when you are leading a full dressed Harley ridden by a timid rider. the fastest we ever went was 65 and that was on the highway between Oroville and Chico. by the time we got to the good portions of 36 our speed was down to 45 in the straighter portions and 25 round most of the curves. we pulled over to let cars pass us about 5 times at least.
topped off the tanks in Red Bluff and again in Fortuna. 2.5 gallons going west. headed back after lunch and topped off back in Red Bluff coming home. 3 gallons this time and 40 minutes less coming back at a moderate Ducati pace. well worth the extra 1/2 gallon of gas for the fun it gave me.

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,444 Posts
Jan you are a true man of charity... I don't know if I could have gone that slow.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I assume you covered the name plate and faced away from the road as they passed you. You're a better man than me, I would have been afraid of just falling over in the curves.

·
Premium Member
8,732 Posts
To bad you couldn't fashion a sign and hang it on her back, "student driver". I guess it was time to look at the scenery, we miss that part of riding alot.

·
Still needs a life.
12,600 Posts
Hwy. 36 video

Now that the warmest, driest summer I can remember in the PNW has finally concluded, my buddy Randy is getting around to posting some of the videos from our Spring Break trip to Weaverville last May.

I thought those of you who have never ridden Hwy. 36 would like to see what a saint Jan is for passing up the opportunity to rip these twisties in order to help a beginning rider.

Here we are riding Hwy. 36 through the mountains east of the Hwy. 3 junction, heading eastbound to Red Bluff. I am the second rider ahead of Randy with my yellow AWACS trunk shining in the sun. The next day I crashed. :>(
Part 1: http://www.nwmotorcycletouring.com/Video/Video/VID_SB09Hwy36P1.html

Here is the famous Chicane portion in the foothills west of Red Bluff. This may be our westbound return run judging by the trees and deep cuts towards the end of the video. Crank up the sound and hold on to your stomachs.
Part 2: http://www.nwmotorcycletouring.com/Video/Video/VID_SB09Hwy36P2.html

·
Administrator
12,444 Posts
Hey Bill the linky no worky... (let me know if you want me to edit the post).

·
Administrator
12,444 Posts
That's the ticket! Very nice :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Everyone can now see what sacrifices Jan made to take this road at cruiser speeds.
That's some superb video. Bill, do you happen to know what camcorder was used and how it was mounted? I would like to get some action video like that.

btw, the video wouldn't play for me until I right-clicked on it and hit "play/pause".... don't know why...

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Bill, thanks for sharing these great video's. Some of my favorite forum posts are in this section. Maybe I should ask Santa for a helmet cam........

FWIW, I rode up to Santa Clara and back the weekend before last, and still discover new roads in central Cal. On the trip up I took 33 up past Ojai, then 58 west back over to the coast. 58 is an undiscovered great place to ride, tight in spots, sweepers in others, and beautiful everywhere. Only a few spots that could use maintenance. This was mid-day on a perfect Saturday, and in 70 miles I don't think I saw 5 other cars until I started getting closer to US 101.

Sunday I rode back on US 1 until Morro Bay, got there early and had another fantastic ride.

·
Registered
792 Posts
... I rode up to Santa Clara and back the weekend before last... Sunday I rode back on US 1 until Morro Bay, got there early and had another fantastic ride.
Yeah, but it was probably on one of those Bavarian things, right?

Just kidding, motos is motos.

When I was in school at Cal Poly, SLO, I'd get up bright and early and ride Hwy 1 up to Monterey, arriving around 8:00 at my favorite B-fast spot. It was rare to see another vehicle the entire way from Cayucus to Carmel. The fog was thick and the air was cool, but with an electric vest and a hot cup of coffee at the other end the ride was great.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Yeah, but it was probably on one of those Bavarian things, right?

Just kidding, motos is motos.
Guilty as charged :( ...actually the 1150r is a decent mount for this type of ride, but certainly not a Ducati. I'm thinking I need some soft bags that fit my SS for the next trip. And a couple more days. Going up I averaged 57 mph, 53 on the way back. This includes meal stops, gas stops, and the 1/2 hour I was splitting traffic from Sunset Blvd to LAX. jeez is that tiring.

I have another one of these trips in mind for spring, hopefully with a couple more days to spend north of the bay.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts