Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With everyone back from our journey it's time to reflect and share with all the Ducati.ms members some of the highlights of our adventure.

Saturday morning about 10:45 Ted arrived at my place and John pulled up shortly after. We headed inside for a few minutes to talk about the ride and grab a some last minute items. The doorbell rang just as we were getting ready to get on our bikes and there was Carlos who surprised us by joining the fun. We headed out to rendezvous with the Stockton crew in Jackson, have lunch and then start the real adventure. Lunch at Mel and Fayes was tasty but I think everyone was ready to head east. It's only about 10 miles out of Jackson that the weather quickly cools down. In this case we went from the high 80's to the mid 70's in just a few minutes. Although the weather and roads were perfect we made time to stop at some vista points and lakes for photos along the way. Heading down Carson pass there was a CHP hiding in a turnout waiting to pluck someone coasting down the hill far too fast but since he reliably hangs out in that area almost everyday we kept our speed within a "safe" range. We made a stop in Markleeville for gas then it was up over Monitor pass. If you have never been over this pass it is a real treat. There is almost no traffic (in fact we stood in the road for 10 minutes) and the descent into the Walker River valley is like being in a glider. Long sweepers and straights with views that amaze. We headed south on 395 to Bridgeport and arrived about 4:30pm. After settling in at the Ruby Inn motel we all gathered and continued south for views of the sunset at Mono Lake. Really great stuff there, from the ride to the views to the brine flies. We got back to Bridgeport just before dark and of course it was time for our next feeding. We worked out some dinner at Rhinos which has good pizza and full bar so you just can't go wrong. The 19 year old waitress was good at up-selling but we still ended up only spending $14 a person including adult beverages. We wrapped up the night by hanging out in the 15 person hot tub with Quan sporting his Calvin Kleins because he forgot his suit (see photos for confirmation).

Sunday morning John was up at some ridiculous hour holding a bikini bike wash (just kidding about the bikini) and more then a few people were surprised to have spotless windshields when they noticed their bikes later. We headed out for breakfast and then it was time to gas up and roll to Sonora Pass. Again the weather was perfect and the views were something else. There is a Marine Corps training center on the way up Sonora and those guys were working really hard training. We saw a line of Hummvees rolling by, guys with machine guns and troops training all over the hills and rivers. The next thing we saw was hunters... It is the start of hunting season and there were hunters EVERYWHERE! If you could say there was a deficit to this trip it was the stream of trucks and trailers moving slowly on what would have been perfect motorcycle roads. We would pass three and then there would be three more. Not far over Sonora Pass we stopped at a resort that has been in operation since 1917 called Kennedy Meadows and it was worthing seeing. They have been providing lodging and pack mules for campers, hunters and fishermen into the high Sierras for almost 100 years. You have to go a mile down a little road to get there and would never know it existed unless someone told you (in our case a US Forest Service Ranger). Our next and final scenic stop was the Donnell Lake lookout which provides spectacular views of a dam and reservoir built in a steep valley. For our final stop of the tour we had lunch in old Sonora at a great place called Diamondback's and then the group said goodbye and went our different directions.

Here are some photos of the adventure! For Ted's and my gallery you can watch a slideshow or click on a picture to look at it. If you click on a photo a second time it will be super large!

Jeep Tour:

The Group

Mono Lake at sunset:

My photos are here:
http://www.sealec.com/faulk/bridgeport09

Ted's photos:
http://www.sealec.com/ted/album85

Quans photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

·
Administrator
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A few more highlight photos:

·
Registered
375 Posts
This past July a group of us did a 4 Sierra Pass ride and Bridgeport was our first stop. We stayed at the Bridgeport Inn...interesting place. Your pics are bringing back some good memories. :)

·
Go for it!
461 Posts
This past July a group of us did a 4 Sierra Pass ride and Bridgeport was our first stop. We stayed at the Bridgeport Inn...interesting place. Your pics are bringing back some good memories. :)
We stayed at Bridgeport Inn also. Not sure if you got the group discount, but next time call the manager and ask for group discount. It will save you a few bucks.

·
Administrator
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We stayed at Bridgeport Inn also. Not sure if you got the group discount, but next time call the manager and ask for group discount. It will save you a few bucks.

I think you stayed at the Ruby Inn... but maybe you and Carlos had a second room we didn't know about LOL. :D

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
It looks like you had fun. I had wanted to join you guys, but there was that little matter near Weaverville last May which changed my plans.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Looks like a fun group and sounds like you sought the enjoyment where it could be found. One thing, though, were I along I definitely would not be the "early to rise and wash the bikes" guy, but I would be very appreciative. :)

Kudos and thanks for the write-up.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Go for it!
461 Posts
Sierra Passes - Must Ride!

This trip was planned since January by Scott. The wait was killing me, especially on Friday, the day before our overnighter trip. It was like on Christmas Eve where I must wait another day to open presents. Finally, that day had finally arrived.
Four riders, including me, from Stockton rendezvous in Jackson with the Sacramento group. It was like a reunion even though we regularly meet for weekend rides. As DucShep stated in another thread that we all share the same passion of riding our moto; the company that has many different personalities which make us laugh; being out in the open roads to enjoy the California beauties.
After lunch at Mel and Fayes, we began our trip eastward towards Kirkwood ski resort, Carson Pass and Monitor Pass. I love riding through the alpine country. The pine scent and the fresh mountain air re-energize my soul. These passes are incredible. The roads serpentine like a sidewinder snake. It was exciting and exhilarating. A few bonuses from the Monitor Pass are hardly any cars travel on this pass and the majestic view of the mountain range. The road condition of these passes was perfect considering the snow accumulation each winter season. We stopped at many scenic points for photo ops and breaks, especially for the superbike riders. Unfortunately, pictures don’t do justice. Gotta be there to see in the breath-taking views.
We finally arrived in Bridgeport in late afternoon. We checked in our rooms and chilled for a bit before heading to Mono Lake for sunset photos. Very interesting lake and its formations. Another intriguing about Mono Lake is its local insect, the Brine Flies. These flies will not come nearby or touch you. They fly away and hover about 12 inches above the ground surface. We spent about an hour before heading back to the motel.
The night fell darker and it was time for dinner. We walked across the street to Rhinos. It was a packed house with locals, hunters and bikers. Very happening place. We ordered a few appetizers, drinks and three LARGE pizzas. The food came out and I thought we ordered too much. After chit chatting and eating, we managed to polish all the food off the table except for one slice of Canadian bacon and pineapple. I guess we worked up an appetite after riding 250 miles. After dinner, I suggested ice cream. We went across the street to the ice cream shop and noticed that a few of Bridgeport businesses are diversified. We saw one business offered seafood, chicken, char-broiled burgers, laundromat and showers. Believe it or not, another business offered similar services plus massages. Not sure if you will get a happy ending. One-stop shop J. I guess these businesses must be diversified in order to stay afloat.
As the sun was peaking above the peaks, John was up and polished his bike in the mid 40s weather. It was hilarious to watch John from my toasty motel window. John even had enough time to clean Ted’s GS windscreen. That’s gonna throw Ted’s ridding off the mark because there wouldn’t be any more referenced marks on the screen to judge the road. Needless to say, John had the cleanest and brightest bike in our group.
After breakfast, we toured Bridgeport jail house, community center and historical machineries included hay bailers to generators dating back in the early 1900s. It was fascinating to look at the details of designing and engineering that went into these machines in those pioneering days.
Finally, we saddled up and headed towards the grand daddy of Sierra passes (well one of them), the Sonora Pass. It’s the second highest highway pass in the Sierras at 9624 ft with 50 miles plus of blind corners, nice sweepers, serpentine twisties, majestic mountain peaks and valleys, and 26% grade in some locations. Just awesome! The weather was perfect. There were plenty of deer hunters which hunting season just started. Luckily for us it wasn’t duc season LOL. I know, I know, kinda cornie J
All nine of us rode through Sonora Pass safely and stopped at Old Sonora town for lunch. We ate, recapped, planned our next year’s trip and rested. This stop also was our departure to heading home to Stockton and Sacramento. We greeted byes and departed.
In all, it was a thrilling experience for me to ride through many of California’s amazing roads in the Sierras with great friends to share. What I described here won’t do much for you, so go out there and ride the Sierra passes.
Here is a recommendation: starting west heading eastbound on Hwy 88 towards Kirkwood, Carson Pass, Monitor Pass (State Route 89), Tioga Pass (Hwy 120 through Yosemite from east to west) and Priest Grade. That will give you more than 400 miles of incredible twists and turns for a lifetime memory.

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
I am a member of the South Bay Riders' Forum (SBR) and they had a ride to Bridgeport the same weekend. The town must have been full of motorcycles.

·
Administrator
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was Street Vibrations in Reno so there were lots of Harleys but we didn't see many other sport bikes.

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
I recognize John and Scott. Can anyone photoshop names of the photos?

·
Registered
525 Posts
I can’t wait to see Carlos’s videos. Hope those can be posted for all to see how beautiful the Western US is outside of the big cities.

Dino, At least this time I didn’t have to see your naked ass riding away on my bike. 1989 was great when there were no helmet laws and we were young, dumb, & full of ----.

·
Registered
299 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,752 Posts
Thanks for letting Dan and I tag along. Sonora Pass was a kick-in-the-ass!!

Chris, very cool to have seen you after all these years and look forward to riding with you again soon.
Don't know if anyone is interested, but here are the pics I took out in Bodie

http://dino2000.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Bodie-09/9717179_anxhS

Ciao, Dino
Hey Dino,
Awesome pictures of Bodie, really nice photography. I want to go there someday, but after hearing its a dusty dirt road to get there, I'll go in my truck. Thats the advantage of having an adventure bike. See you on some future ride. Oh, your right, that campsite you guys had looked fantastic, grass and all. Where is that place anyway, I might do that next time, as long as its clean and has showers, I can save a buck too.

·
Premium Member
8,752 Posts
This trip was planned since January by Scott. The wait was killing me, especially on Friday, the day before our overnighter trip. It was like on Christmas Eve where I must wait another day to open presents. Finally, that day had finally arrived.
Four riders, including me, from Stockton rendezvous in Jackson with the Sacramento group. It was like a reunion even though we regularly meet for weekend rides. As DucShep stated in another thread that we all share the same passion of riding our moto; the company that has many different personalities which make us laugh; being out in the open roads to enjoy the California beauties.
After lunch at Mel and Fayes, we began our trip eastward towards Kirkwood ski resort, Carson Pass and Monitor Pass. I love riding through the alpine country. The pine scent and the fresh mountain air re-energize my soul. These passes are incredible. The roads serpentine like a sidewinder snake. It was exciting and exhilarating. A few bonuses from the Monitor Pass are hardly any cars travel on this pass and the majestic view of the mountain range. The road condition of these passes was perfect considering the snow accumulation each winter season. We stopped at many scenic points for photo ops and breaks, especially for the superbike riders. Unfortunately, pictures don’t do justice. Gotta be there to see in the breath-taking views.
We finally arrived in Bridgeport in late afternoon. We checked in our rooms and chilled for a bit before heading to Mono Lake for sunset photos. Very interesting lake and its formations. Another intriguing about Mono Lake is its local insect, the Brine Flies. These flies will not come nearby or touch you. They fly away and hover about 12 inches above the ground surface. We spent about an hour before heading back to the motel.
The night fell darker and it was time for dinner. We walked across the street to Rhinos. It was a packed house with locals, hunters and bikers. Very happening place. We ordered a few appetizers, drinks and three LARGE pizzas. The food came out and I thought we ordered too much. After chit chatting and eating, we managed to polish all the food off the table except for one slice of Canadian bacon and pineapple. I guess we worked up an appetite after riding 250 miles. After dinner, I suggested ice cream. We went across the street to the ice cream shop and noticed that a few of Bridgeport businesses are diversified. We saw one business offered seafood, chicken, char-broiled burgers, laundromat and showers. Believe it or not, another business offered similar services plus massages. Not sure if you will get a happy ending. One-stop shop J. I guess these businesses must be diversified in order to stay afloat.
As the sun was peaking above the peaks, John was up and polished his bike in the mid 40s weather. It was hilarious to watch John from my toasty motel window. John even had enough time to clean Ted’s GS windscreen. That’s gonna throw Ted’s ridding off the mark because there wouldn’t be any more referenced marks on the screen to judge the road. Needless to say, John had the cleanest and brightest bike in our group.
After breakfast, we toured Bridgeport jail house, community center and historical machineries included hay bailers to generators dating back in the early 1900s. It was fascinating to look at the details of designing and engineering that went into these machines in those pioneering days.
Finally, we saddled up and headed towards the grand daddy of Sierra passes (well one of them), the Sonora Pass. It’s the second highest highway pass in the Sierras at 9624 ft with 50 miles plus of blind corners, nice sweepers, serpentine twisties, majestic mountain peaks and valleys, and 26% grade in some locations. Just awesome! The weather was perfect. There were plenty of deer hunters which hunting season just started. Luckily for us it wasn’t duc season LOL. I know, I know, kinda cornie J
All nine of us rode through Sonora Pass safely and stopped at Old Sonora town for lunch. We ate, recapped, planned our next year’s trip and rested. This stop also was our departure to heading home to Stockton and Sacramento. We greeted byes and departed.
In all, it was a thrilling experience for me to ride through many of California’s amazing roads in the Sierras with great friends to share. What I described here won’t do much for you, so go out there and ride the Sierra passes.
Here is a recommendation: starting west heading eastbound on Hwy 88 towards Kirkwood, Carson Pass, Monitor Pass (State Route 89), Tioga Pass (Hwy 120 through Yosemite from east to west) and Priest Grade. That will give you more than 400 miles of incredible twists and turns for a lifetime memory.
Quan,
I couldn't have said it better. You nailed it, especially the part the pictures didn't do the scenery justice. Being there did. Next year a repeat but adding Tioga Pass and Yosemite into the mix.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey Dino,
Awesome pictures of Bodie, really nice photography. I want to go there someday, but after hearing its a dusty dirt road to get there, I'll go in my truck. Thats the advantage of having an advent a nite re bike. See you on some future ride. Oh, your right, that campsite you guys had looked fantastic, grass and all. Where is that place anyway, I might do that next time, as long as its clean and has showers, I can save a buck too.
John,

Thanks for the kind words. I just recently got into the photo thing and I'm having lots of fun with it. Shooting mostly soccer for the kids team.

The campsite was Doc & Al's. 8 miles from town, 19.00 a nite and a beautiful lawn to pitch on. Fire pits in every site, good bathroom and showers. I prefer the tent when i'm riding, no limitations that way.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts