Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By way of introduction, I am considering replacing my 2003 R1150RT w/ an ST3. I have found a 2005 ST3 w/ 4000 miles locally for sale from the original owner for $7000. The bike is bone stock, excellent condition, never downed, and well-maintained. I have reason to believe it has been always ridden responsibly.

Having never owned a duc, the wet clutch sorta seems to diminish the magic. Should it? Is there any gotchas for this year/model of which I should be aware? The lack of aftermarket exhaust and other goodies makes me a little cautious about this out of production bike.

I have always wanted to become Ducatista. I now have an opportunity but I don't want to make a mistake blinded by emotion. If there are better choices, I'd love to hear them. I've waited this long....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Greetings

Greetings and welcome, I too moved from BMW to Ducati - I had an '81 R100RS, related but quite different from your RT; however, the switch was painless in fact it was delightful. I bought an '04 ST3 and have been very pleased with the way the bike handles, the speed and the riding style. I wanted a bike that was similar to the old RS in weight and had a bit of a lean forward riding position.
There are upgrades available for these bikes; however, I find that for the most part I do not have any desire to modify the bike. You may find it different going from a shaft bike to a chain - prior to this bike it had been a long time since I fiddled with a chain but over all this is not a big issue as chain technology has changed. As for your question of whether to buy or not to buy .... it depends on what you want in a bike, the weather protection on the ST3 will not be the same as your RT but the ST3 will make you smile during and after your ride. Working on the bike is easy and relatively
straight forward and like this forum there are places to get help or needed information. If you wrench yourself there are a few different tools required.

Have fun with whatever decision you make.

Mike,

'04 ST3
'75 Buffalo

By way of introduction, I am considering replacing my 2003 R1150RT w/ an ST3. I have found a 2005 ST3 w/ 4000 miles locally for sale from the original owner for $7000. The bike is bone stock, excellent condition, never downed, and well-maintained. I have reason to believe it has been always ridden responsibly.

Having never owned a duc, the wet clutch sorta seems to diminish the magic. Should it? Is there any gotchas for this year/model of which I should be aware? The lack of aftermarket exhaust and other goodies makes me a little cautious about this out of production bike.

I have always wanted to become Ducatista. I now have an opportunity but I don't want to make a mistake blinded by emotion. If there are better choices, I'd love to hear them. I've waited this long....

·
7,733 Posts

I have a 2005 ST3 and feel they are the best sorted model year of the desmotre range running/engine wise for 2 reasons. Firstly, it has a wet clutch which, IMO, is what you want. I am not a big dry clutch fan for reasons of service requirements. (Don't confuse this with a BMW automotive type dry clutch, this is a multiplate MC clutch) Wet clutches will simply be easier to own and operate and will work smoother and last much longer. Do dry clutches look and sound great and add character? Yes they surely do, but they have their drawbacks so don't be *too* easily seduced. Secondly, if you do the right thing and add aftermarket slips ons, the open loop EFI will not need be tuned in on a dyno, using expensive replacement ECU's or PC etc add ons which so many closed loop models have had to undergo to get them to run right.

The major down side of any ST3 is the suspension. You must upgrade the fork internals and the shock and add a way of raising the rear to get the most out of it. The "s" models have better suspension from the factory, lighter 5 spoke wheels, and an aluminum swingarm, and also a ABS system. But they cost more. The down side of the S models is even with all the reduced unsprung weight, the bike is 7lbs heavier, and the ABS pump takes aways some storage space and complicates servicing the rear shock. A ST3 with upgraded suspension will handle very well, accelerate and brake faster re lower weight, give better storage capacity, and be easier to service. The money you could save between an S and non S, could buy you both, the needed suspension upgrades, and a tasty set of pipes, lowering the weight even more. :) I won't get into an abs discussion, as I'm not an adherent to the beliefs that accompany the proponents. Oh, and the 2005 still has the electronically adjustable head lamps too. :)

Bottom line is, they are all good bikes, 2004 through 2007. Just get one, and learn to live with it. You probably won't be disappointed. It'd be like going from a trusty mule, to a spirited Arabian. :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Buy the Duc!! Keep the BMW and let's buy some KLR's!! :D
WTF??
I really want to ride that gravel road off the Dragon!

More Motrin, please......oh, and a royal pickle pucker (thank-you Maggie Valley)

Your Ridin Bud,

Bubba :cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts