Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A great day in Middle Tennessee. Started cold and quickly up to 60's/70's. Perfect to see what the new to me 04 ST3 was up for.
I bought this a week ago....6000 miles, excellent shape, bone stock.
Advice from the board was ride it a while before you start mods. Good advice and so we're off.
First thing, she's a bit cold natured and warm-up produced a much better ride. Noted the clutch sound right away....different, but pretty cool.
I've been riding K1200gt's BMW's the last couple of years so the riding position is a bit different. I spent big $$$ trying to get the wind off me on those bikes without total success.
I'll be darn if i don't like riding in the wind better. The Duc, with its stock screen, puts that wind right on my chest and lifts me up and is quite comfortable. I'm 6'1 and have a 32 inch inseam. Lots of torso, but my helmet was in clean air and it was better than those BMWs ever were. I have a flip-up Caberg helmet and it's a bit noisy, but with my ER6i earplugs in, it was fine. I'm surprised!!
Biggest complaint is the mid/upper rpm throttle lag. Seems like the old turbo lag from the cars in the 70's. A big flat lag when quickly rolling on the throttle from 5 to 8 K rpm. It catches up to itself and then the power is there. Bad stock ECU map in 04? Will a Power commander solve this since i can't find a DP kit anywhere? (want one!) Doesnt the fuel trim on my 04 ECU only help the lower rpm richness?
I've got new Leo Vince's coming (only thing i could find) and guess i will try the airbox mod with a k&n filter. Will just installing these air in/air out mods help the flat spot without a PC?
Yeah the forks need a little tweek, maybe start with the preload. Ideas? trying to save a little $$$ if possible.
Overall....awesome!!! Found that a 1st gear throttle peg will produce a nice wheelie.......still fun @ 51!
Thanks to everyone for their advice and this board rocks. found a lot of good info with the search engine.

·
7,733 Posts
Great write up thanks. I totally agree with your newly discoverd preference for being in the wind, as long as that wind is clean. I have a Parabellum touring screen for my '87 K75, and it's been on for a total of 5 minutes in 10 years. I find my ST3's stock screen gives that nice clean blast of uplifting air, ie no "buffeting." Better in summer than winter mind you, but I'm not one to ride in freezing temps. I can't help but wonder if that "lag" you're feeling is just a case of being in too high a gear when rolling on, coming off that torque monster K. You're really not in the sweet zone if you're reving below 4000 rpm in town and 5 K on the highway. I found that I needed to gear down one more cog than I felt was right when gearing down for a corner in order to not get any lugging effect when rolling on. You want to avoid lugging the engine. You'll find it gets even better at 10K and I think mine got into another zone at close to 20K. That being said, early '04 ST3's did have a ECU recall, was yours changed?

Here's to plenty more great rides. :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i really dont think it was lugging.....i really tried to wring it out. flat spot still there.........:confused:

Also clutch pull a bit different. dont mind the noise but that pull is a bit stiff toward the end of the day..........maybe i need some of those hand workout spring things......

·
Registered
523 Posts
Has it had it's 6,000 mile maintenance? We are talking about a 5 year old bike. That's the time for cam belt adjustment and valve check/reshim. If the belts are the originals then it would be good to have them replaced. Also a good idea to check that it doesn't need the ECU and closer spring recall work done. Part of the 6,000 maintenance is re-syncing the throttle bodies, resetting the TPS, adjusting the air/fuel, checking/replacing spark plugs. If any of these are off a bit then the response won't be crisp; they are accumulative. 5,000rpm is in the middle of the power band so in any gear except perhaps 6th it should step out pretty smartly. The 2004 and 2005 models are fully adjustable for fuel/air mixtures. Also, they don't have O2 sensors so no need to fool the ECU. Over all it definitely won't act like a K1200GT but there shouldn't be a lag when doing "throttle up".
Bill W.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Subscibing to this thread.

Got a BMW K75s and really want a ST3s @ age 62. :D

Some drop a tooth at the front but me thinks adding two at the rear better but not cheaper.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 6000 mile service was done by the Ducshop in Atlanta. (at least i was told this by the previous owner........)
Will see if they have a record of work done. I have a local dealer in Nashville. I hate to pay to have work repeated.......but that may be the only way to know if it is up to "spec". mmmmmmmmmmmm.......

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
The two ST4s-es that I owned did not get fully broken in until 10,000 miles were on the odometer. After that they both smoothed out nicely. Your ST3 may also need more miles it to get completely broken in.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
ECU recall

I have a 2004 ST3 with about 25000 miles. I don't notice any hesitation even from 3000rpm. This is my first modern Ducati & I'm in love......

How would I know if the ECU has been changed? Mine has paper stickers over the factory part number & bar code.
I could check using VDSTS to see what the version is (I think). Anyone know what the newer ECU version numbers are?

Thanks

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have a 2004 ST3 with about 25000 miles. I don't notice any hesitation even from 3000rpm. This is my first modern Ducati & I'm in love......

How would I know if the ECU has been changed? Mine has paper stickers over the factory part number & bar code.
I could check using VDSTS to see what the version is (I think). Anyone know what the newer ECU version numbers are?

Thanks
Dealers can use the VIN to check on warranty work.
Bill W.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Congrats, I like the wind a bit too, just of the body. I lowered my BMWRS windsheild and it solved an age old problem. Now it doesn't even have a fairing but that's what the ST is for.

On the slow warmup, I don't launch until she hits 170 degrees, that's the word from mission control, as the rockers are suspect with those years. I don't know about yours.

The time lag could be a closed loop vs open loop ecu thing, mine is prior to closed loop and there's no hesitation. And definitely get the belts changed if they haven't been.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts