Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ducati Multistrada V4 S
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Noob here and new to Ducati.

Been riding for a long time but by no means an expert. Had many bikes over the years and just purchased my first Ducati, a Multistrada V4 S, Full package with spokes in Aviation Grey.

Despite one strange warranty fault and currently returned to dealer, I was loving the bike for its first few hundred Km's.

Looking forward to being part of the forum, learning more and sharing my experiences.

Cheers
Shiz

·
Registered
363 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Good luck with getting the fault resolved. My 998 (when purchased new back in 2002) had a couple of problems, mostly stalling, that required a few trips back to the dealer. They got sorted and I had 6 very enjoyable years with that bike until I sold it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome 998-MDG

Good to know your issues were sorted and you had good run from your bike, it gives me more confidence it's only something minor and I have nothing to worry about.

Cheers
Shiz

·
Registered
363 Posts
Thanks for the welcome 998-MDG

Good to know your issues were sorted and you had good run from your bike, it gives me more confidence it's only something minor and I have nothing to worry about.

Cheers
Shiz
Pulling up to a red light after some spirited riding on Palomar Mountain on a hot day and having the bike regularly stall was, at times, making me lose the will to live. LOL
On a few occasions I regretted buying the 998 but that, in hindsight, was silly. As long as you have a competent shop looking at your bike I think you'll be fine. Good luck!

·
Registered
2021 Multistrada V4S Radar & Travel Pack
244 Posts
G'day Shizza,

I also have the V4S MS Radar and Travel pack.......(y)Bought mine way back in March 2021..... well I stole it, because it was supposed to be their demonstrator..... until I tossed lots of cash at them and jumped the queue......... :LOL:

Mine was subject to the engine recall, due to a suspected batch of faulty valve guides, but Ducati Aus decided to give me a completely new bike instead of making me wait until the new engines arrived from Italy........ that was nice and considerate!

Anyway, 2nd new bike was duly run in and has had no issues except for the center stand bending and working it's way off the right side mounting bracket (keep an eye on yours.... it may be ok but mine was more than half way out of the bushing after 8 months). The stand and damaged alloy mount were replaced under warranty!

I can't think what issues yours might have been corralled for, so when you pick the bike up, ask them for info...... it might be a help to another V4MS owner, but so far there haven't been too many complaints - one that springs to mind is a potential 'non starting' issue that turned out to be a loose connector on the ride by wire cable that plugs into the right hand switch gear...... simply push it in and hear it click and it's all good, but that's about the only gripe I've read about.

So far I've racked up 15.3k kms since April2021 and the V4MS is a ripper. I absolutely love the adaptive cruise control and sorely miss it when driving my car....... There's plenty of power, and the fuel economy gets a bit better as the kms go over 3000 and the engine wears itself in - so don't be too kind to it when new, keep to the rev limits initially, but don't baby it. I only got 13k/ltr av when new, but now average 17-18 on day rides and if on CC on the highway, it gets 19k/ltr av...... so I've gone from struggling to get 300kms a tank to easily getting 350kms a tank. You can shorten that plastic filler neck if you are competent with a hack saw and Allen key;) - makes it easier to fill up without burping the tank.

The side cases are easy to install but the frame latching mechanism can get very dirty from road spray and that causes it to become very stiff..... a good wash with that in mind will keep them sliding easily (and some Innox spray).

This is one bike that lives up to all the hype and the test reports. It's a big tall skyscraper of a mount but it can hoon around corners like a supersport...... just use Auto preload so the pegs don't scrape...... it's easy to adjust your default damping settings once you work out what you want. Once the motor loosens up the gear changes are super smooth and you will want to be in Sport full power!

That reminds me....... the headlight on mine was way to low and I ended up having to wind it up by 10 flats on the hexagonal adjuster bolts...... no wonder a lot of car drivers were pulling out in front of me in the first month or so.....go for a few night rides and adjust that headlight up ....... the DRL's are pretty bright for city riding, but I prefer two main beams on for highway speeds and distances.

Welcome to the forum from Brisbane :D....... good choice of bike....... AMCN Bike of The Year 21 and now I see it has won a title in Europe too...... (y)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
G'day Shizza,

I also have the V4S MS Radar and Travel pack.......(y)Bought mine way back in March 2021..... well I stole it, because it was supposed to be their demonstrator..... until I tossed lots of cash at them and jumped the queue......... :LOL:

Mine was subject to the engine recall, due to a suspected batch of faulty valve guides, but Ducati Aus decided to give me a completely new bike instead of making me wait until the new engines arrived from Italy........ that was nice and considerate!

Anyway, 2nd new bike was duly run in and has had no issues except for the center stand bending and working it's way off the right side mounting bracket (keep an eye on yours.... it may be ok but mine was more than half way out of the bushing after 8 months). The stand and damaged alloy mount were replaced under warranty!

I can't think what issues yours might have been corralled for, so when you pick the bike up, ask them for info...... it might be a help to another V4MS owner, but so far there haven't been too many complaints - one that springs to mind is a potential 'non starting' issue that turned out to be a loose connector on the ride by wire cable that plugs into the right hand switch gear...... simply push it in and hear it click and it's all good, but that's about the only gripe I've read about.

So far I've racked up 15.3k kms since April2021 and the V4MS is a ripper. I absolutely love the adaptive cruise control and sorely miss it when driving my car....... There's plenty of power, and the fuel economy gets a bit better as the kms go over 3000 and the engine wears itself in - so don't be too kind to it when new, keep to the rev limits initially, but don't baby it. I only got 13k/ltr av when new, but now average 17-18 on day rides and if on CC on the highway, it gets 19k/ltr av...... so I've gone from struggling to get 300kms a tank to easily getting 350kms a tank. You can shorten that plastic filler neck if you are competent with a hack saw and Allen key;) - makes it easier to fill up without burping the tank.

The side cases are easy to install but the locking mechanism can get very dirty from road spray and that causes it to become very stiff..... a good wash with that in mind will keep them sliding easily (and some Innox spray).

This is one bike that lives up to all the hype and the test reports. It's a big tall skyscraper of a mount but it can hoon around corners like a supersport...... just use Auto preload so the pegs don't scrape...... it's easy to adjust your default damping settings once you work out what you want. Once the motor loosens up the gear changes are super smooth and you will want to be in Sport full power!

That reminds me....... the headlight on mine was way to low and I ended up having to wind it up by 10 flats on the hexagonal adjuster bolts...... no wonder a lot of car drivers were pulling out in front of me in the first month or so.....go for a few night rides and adjust that headlight up ....... the DRL's are pretty bright for city riding, but I prefer two main beams on for highway speeds and distances.

Welcome to the forum from Brisbane :D....... good choice of bike....... AMCN Bike of The Year 21 and now I see it has won a title in Europe too...... (y)
Thanks for the reply and welcome DaveAu. You are such a lucky man getting a deal on the demo then a full new replace - half ya luck would be nice.(y)

I like the advice and info you offer, I was kinda lucky enough to get to put 450 km on her before going back to the dealer. I picked it up on NY eve and rode her home in the rain, was the best wet ride I've had.

Those first km's were awesome the bike was even better than I expected. I was a little surprised it has a little bit of engine vibe after so many reviews reporting them to be silky smooth but kinda think that is consistent with the firing order and being a 90 V, I have had a couple of V's (Suzuki SV and Harley Nightrain) and earlier parallel twins and they were defiantly worse for vibes, had to do comparison when I've just come off riding a Triumph Sprint RS that was super smooth, I did jump back on the Suzi briefly to bring things back into perspective. And I did find once she gets up around 4k rpm the vibes are gone and the grins are coming in big time :D So no complaint really it seems to give it character.

I agree with your run-in advice, it follows my same knowledge as a mechanic and the advice the dealer gave was also pretty much same, stay under 5500 rpm for the first 1k, defiantly don't baby it, use the power and don't sit at steady revs for to long, try and vary engine speed and load (y)

Will definitely keep an eye on the C/stand had read a few others had similar issues but not all bikes, and good to know about the pannier latches too.

The fault mine has appears it maybe either the quick shifter or traction control but not confirmed yet. I appeared the day after I got it home, when I turn the ignition on the DQS shows and error then when started the dash flashes "Traction Control Error" and shows faults on the Rear radar, DTC, DQS and DWC and the bike go's into limp mode (max 21kmh @ 2500 rpm). Talking to the dealer we both suspect a loose connection somewhere in those circuits or a dodgy sensor. I did manage to resolve the fault a couple of times when cycling the ignition and trying things like turning off the radar DTC and DQS off, still could not isolate which helped resolve it but did get a couple of rides in ;) Have done a stupid amount of internet searches but haven't been able to turn up anything with similar issues, closest I found was some early 17-18 Paingale V4's had some DQS problems that Ducati issued notice for repair/replace but I suspect they should've sorted that and shouldn't happen in the Multi's ???

So the bike is currently stuck at Sunstate MC in Hervey Bay waiting for transport back to the Maroochydore dealer - Bloody COVID and staff shortages aren't helping but the dealer is tryin the best they can and are promising to look after me, they have been pretty good so far.

Anyway itching to get it back, will update when I find out more of what went wrong

Cheers and look forward to maybe seeing ya on the road somewhere, would definitely be keen to catch up for a ride sometime, I'm often down Brissy way.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Cheers ShizN'Giggz,

:LOL:..... Gotta clear the record before the gossip goes viral......

My bikes were both brand newbie's, only the 1st one was "intended" to be the dealers demo, but as soon as I saw it on day 1 of the release I was hooked..... no test ride, just straight out blind lust :love:, had to have it.

And they sold it to me!.....ANNND they remind me everytime I visit the shop....:ROFLMAO:

Luckily, I was right as I have no regrets, unlike other impulse buys......I do miss my 1290SDGT o_O, except when I ride on wet slushy roadworks or loose gravel roads.....

I think your gremlins will turn out to be software. My KTM was fine, but on the forums there were tales of woe from all around the world. The shop techs will reflash (after checking for any obvious assembly errors) the ecu and you'll be back in the game.

All the software generation bikes ( all brands) need a tech savvy tech o_O, so keep an eye and an ear on the selling dealer's for clues to their understanding of the tech. That will be the weakest link.

I've made several minor tweaks to mine, that probably make mine almost a Pikes Peak.... +3mm up with the fork tubes through the clamps and rotated the handle bars down past the 'Road' mark so I can fit my Givi 3D tank bag without hitting the bars......;).. and it actually feels better for average build me.... 5' 9.5" 32" legs.

So that saves me money in that I don't have to buy the Pikes Peak....:ROFLMAO:

Sure is hot and unpredictable.... weather & COVID surge.....

(y)PS... Might bump into you on a combined DCOQ run.......

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again Dave,

Lovin the tips and vote of confidence on my gremlins. With all my keyboard research I was surprised how few issues these bikes actually have.

I do like the PP :love: but but for me wasn't really going to gain anything over the V4S and its ADV ability, think it would have been nice if they had of given it a full power Panigale V4 or a super powered up Multi GT V4 since they put the SSSA and 17" front on them, give it a bit more Super Sport prowess, now that would tick my boxes if I was after something a bit more 'go nuts'.:whistle:

Cheers for the info on your adjustments too, good to keep in mind as I get a bit more time in the saddle, I'm a pinch taller at 5'12" ;) (never quite made 6') and 34" leg and seemed to find the default road position pretty good but still early days for me yet. I like your adjusting the fork tubes up and will be keen to see how the bike responds to it. I do plan on a bit of mild off road riding, probs not going full Fink or single trail die hard but at least some fire breaks and occasional trails but will really be mostly spirited weekend road rides and touring.

Have you heard when AU dealers will have the multimedia software update available? press release stated Jan 2022? hoping mine might get it while they are gremlin hunting, keep forgetting to ask each time I talk to them.

Sorry for being a Noob but .... DCOQ run ? .... guessing a QLD Duc club type run and keen for more info

Cheers
Shiz

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yes to all points.....from me :D.....must be something in the water, that we should agree on most things :LOL:.

Not heard any more on the nav update. I haven't used mine as my phone doesn't fit into the pocket, but if the update makes it work well, then I'll have to crawl out from under my log and start to use it. I find myself getting lost as I forget roads I haven't used over the COVID years :LOL:.

DCOQ is the Duck Owners Club of Qld and there are north coast riders that join us on ride days on all sorts of interesting Doocati's.... (y) . I'm only a newbie to the club, so each ride is like a while new crowd of people....but I have known some of the original members since the late 70's.

I hope the guys nail that issue quickly so you can get to know and trust your V4.

Mine"s a RED one, so that must be why I don't have any gremlins :LOL:.......;)

PS I think you can google the club or contact them on farcebook.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update.

Bike has been plugged into the Duc computer, Mech has logged and cleared a massive list of error codes, put the bike through 4 heat cycles and a couple of short rides and no further issues.

Next morning full cold restart cranked about 8 times which they report is too many, then fired a few times before starting rough and threw a whole bunch of fault codes again, mech stated kinda good they now have a fresh error event to work off and should help with their diagnostics.

Annoyed it's brand new and having these issues but glad it's done it while back at the stealer and they are logging the issue and fault with Ducati.

Will post more as I find out whats going on

·
Registered
244 Posts
Wow, but good to see they are onto something. Hope any new parts don't take 6wks to get here from Italy!

PS, maybe your V4MS has COVID :devilish:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another frustrating update

Another week down and my COVID infected V4MS condition has deteriorated .... So the mech tells me over the week the bike has not started at all and they are no closer to working out what has failed. They then informed me they still have not raised the tech case with Ducati :mad: this is after advising me on 3 occasions thats what they need to do and would like be provided repair or replace advice, following a rant from me the tech case has now been raised (so they tell me).

.... losing confidence in my stealer's service and ability to follow through.

I did call the manager back a couple of hours later, he did claim the tech case has been raised with Ducati now, hoping this will get some action. I stated to him that I do not want to get stuck in some try this try that, oh maybe this trail and error repair scenario and due to their poor service and how long it has taken them to do Nothing they have a couple of days to provide me one of the following options, A) firm repair advice and return on a specific date, and must be within a reasonable time. B) a replacement new bike. C) full refund - I have already contacted another stealer and confirmed replacement exact model and options is available.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Ducati Au are not in KTM's league here.

When my Kato's dash cracked, they sent a new one from stock in Perth WA.... also, when my tech confirmed one Brembo rotor was warped, they sent two new rotors pronto. But that was 5yrs ago, so maybe things have changed at team orange too. Still, it's consumer law, so you have the right to demand this. It's a brand new bike yet is not fit for purpose.

I hope your dealer agent can cut through the smoke screen and get what is needed from the importer. I think it's probably fair that they try to Id the fault, or get the National Service manager to bring up a bag of parts to swap out.......

Hope it is resolved in your favour quick smart.

I know it leaves a sour taste when this happens (a mate has taken a car dealer to court but it has dragged on for 6/7 years....), so I hope they get you sorted and on the road without needing the big stick.

(y)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ducati Au are not in KTM's league here.

When my Kato's dash cracked, they sent a new one from stock in Perth WA.... also, when my tech confirmed one Brembo rotor was warped, they sent two new rotors pronto. But that was 5yrs ago, so maybe things have changed at team orange too. Still, it's consumer law, so you have the right to demand this. It's a brand new bike yet is not fit for purpose.

I hope your dealer agent can cut through the smoke screen and get what is needed from the importer. I think it's probably fair that they try to Id the fault, or get the National Service manager to bring up a bag of parts to swap out.......

Hope it is resolved in your favour quick smart.

I know it leaves a sour taste when this happens (a mate has taken a car dealer to court but it has dragged on for 6/7 years....), so I hope they get you sorted and on the road without needing the big stick.

(y)
Yeah thanks for the vote of confidence Dave, cant wait to get back on the bike (or a new one) :D

Gotta say I'm yet to experience how good or poor Ducati warranty is, my issue with getting things resolved currently lies with the dealer's complete lack of communication with Ducati, hoping things might move a bit quicker now they have actually progressed it to Ducati 🤞

Speaking of smoke screen's I see in an older post of yours you ordered a WRS smoke touring screen, how do you find it? I have been looking for one and also hoping to get smoked wings to match.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Cheers Shizzy, I won't pour oil on your bbq, but even my mechanic at the dealership said (quietly to me) that Ducati were really hard to deal with for my grabbing Brembo,s...... However, there was no issue whatsoever with the failing center stand....couldn't have been more helpful......so see how it goes eh ;)

The WRS screen is quite good, but all the Ducati screens are really quiet due the vent slot in the center. When I was wanting to order, there was no stock and long backorders, so I went to WRS and had the screen delivered in no time.

My WRS "Touring" is P/no DUO17F - it is similar in size to the stock V4S screen (just not V shaped at the top) though the description implies it is longer (it has more length at the headlight, but is roughly equal at eye height.)... So make sure you order the right size for what you want.

Ask Ducati parts counter staff for a price & avail quote.....the website is confusing. So if money is no object, and there is stock in Aus, the Ducati screens are the best...... the WRS isn't far behind and much cheaper (but watch the freight charges when/if ordering....).

(y)

Reactions: ShizN'Giggz

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fault update.

The stealer has finally talked to Ducati which gave them a bunch of fault finding tests to be done, tech said it seems to be mostly based on the fault codes submitted and is a fairly extensive list of plug pulling, inspecting and voltage and resistance measuring, reckons it will take 1-2 days to get through it all. Like me he seems to believe it is still just a dodgy plug/pin or even a broken wire, here's hoping they find the problem in the process.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts