Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Official Retired Person
7,545 Posts
Welcome, Mike. I think you are going to enjoy the GT. Make it your own!

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
What are you planning to fit, cast wheels or tubeless spoked? The easiest method (while keeping the tubes) is to have your wheels rebuilt with aluminium rims.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I would like to get rid of the tubes all together. Maybe the Cazzadoras, I maybe I spelled that wrong.

Whats out there for direct replacement? OZ?

·
Registered
993 Posts
Carrozzeria , OZ, BST (carbon), Alpina (spoke) , Kineo (spoke) and maybe some others make direct bolt on tubeless wheels for a SC. They are all somewhat expensive. Some are a LOT expensive. The most cost effective cast wheels are a used set of Duc ST4 5 spoke wheels. They only require the addition of a small spacer on the front. The rear is a direct bolt on. One thing for sure, a lighter set of wheels is by far the best performanvce mod you can do to your bike especially on a GT with the steel boat anchor wheels. As many of us here who have done this keep preaching, you will not believe the profound improvement in handling, acceleration and braking that dropping 15-20 pounds of unsprung rotating weight will have on your bike until you do it. It is astonishing. Do it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Carrozzeria , OZ, BST (carbon), Alpina (spoke) , Kineo (spoke) and maybe some others make direct bolt on tubeless wheels for a SC. They are all somewhat expensive. Some are a LOT expensive. The most cost effective cast wheels are a used set of Duc ST4 5 spoke wheels. They only require the addition of a small spacer on the front. The rear is a direct bolt on. One thing for sure, a lighter set of wheels is by far the best performanvce mod you can do to your bike especially on a GT with the steel boat anchor wheels. As many of us here who have done this keep preaching, you will not believe the profound improvement in handling, acceleration and braking that dropping 15-20 pounds of unsprung rotating weight will have on your bike until you do it. It is astonishing. Do it.
ST4 wheels huh? I may have to research this. I totally get the lighter wheels make it handle better. I Road Race and I added lightweight wheels to my old race bike and wow!!

·
Registered
'07 Ducati GT1000
22 Posts
I put ST4S wheels on mine, direct swap with an ST4S axle. It is a night-and-day transformation for the bike.

·
Registered
'07 Ducati GT1000
22 Posts
I switched out to ST4S wheels, front axle, rotors, and 4p2p front brakes. The rear wheel is direct swap with no modifications. The front wheel with ST4S axle requires a spacer for the rotors with the stock rotors. With the kit as I listed no further modifications were necessary -- Solo Moto in Greenwich did it for me, not sure where in CT you are!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I switched out to ST4S wheels, front axle, rotors, and 4p2p front brakes. The rear wheel is direct swap with no modifications. The front wheel with ST4S axle requires a spacer for the rotors with the stock rotors. With the kit as I listed no further modifications were necessary -- Solo Moto in Greenwich did it for me, not sure where in CT you are!
I am branford. I am currently looking for ST wheels now ha!

·
Registered
993 Posts
When I swapped to the ST4 wheels I put on 4P4P calipers off of a 999 and the stock S1K rotor offset was correct. No rotor spacers. I also used the original axle and that did require a small spacer that I bought from a guy on this forum. It was years ago and I can't remember his name. I'm sure if you search back in the past posts you'll find a thread with all the information. Otherwise it was a direct bolt on and a major upgrade.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the forum. Looks like a great bike, thanks for all the pics. I hope you enjoy it.

Sorry as I'm about to hijack this thread a bit ;)

@spartanheed seat looks sweet!

The easiest method (while keeping the tubes) is to have your wheels rebuilt with aluminium rims.
Do you have any leads on where to do that? I searched for a while around here (Seattle, Washington USA) and found nobody who did that...

I did find one guy who builds moto wheels, but he was mainly catering to the cruiser market and not so hip to the weight reduction idea.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts