Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to throw this out there, I am a first time bike owner and am going to get a brand new 09 monster 696 the week of 5/18, I can hardly contain myself. I have been wanting one of these for years and I finally decided to do it. Cheers.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I know it is exciting to have all that power underneath you, but take it easy and try not to go over the deep end. Congrats on the purchase. stay safe!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's where I'm going to get it from. Matte black is hotness. I signed up for a motorcycle saftey class the weekend after this one, that will be my first time on a real motorcycle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Frame sliders are "pegs" that attach to the frame of your bike and are there to help stop/reduce damage in the event of going down. I really HATE to say this but since this is your first bike there is a little bit higher chance that you will drop it at some point. If you have frame sliders, which are cheap, you have a good chance to not damage anything if you drop it, say, in a parking lot.

http://www.motovationusa.com/mvstore/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=92

·
Registered
395 Posts
For a Ducati as a first bike I'd go all out and install sliders on the frame (no one will ever see it on a black frame), both axels and handle bars as well……….
Do a search for sliders on this forum to see some pictures.

P.S.

Congratulations on the purchase.

·
Registered
182 Posts
IMO Monster 696 is too big for a new rider. It's pretty light so it should be forgiving but not the best choice. I'm guessing you have a lot of money to burn though M Coupe so just put sliders on it and get some good gear :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
My very first bike was an S4r. If you're responsible, you can learn on anything.

·
Registered
312 Posts
My very first bike was an S4r. If you're responsible, you can learn on anything.

Good advice, I think it has to do alot with maturity, and knowing your limits, and your bikes, and not pushing them until you can match your bike.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Good choice...

It's an expensive bike to drop, so I am guessing you'll be careful and safe. Do the posing HD-style riding for a year or so, and you could go from there.

MSF course is a good choice too... do the advanced course once you get a few hundred miles under the belt.

Always anticipate the traffic, there are little to no close calls when it comes to motorcycle riding on street. Anticipate everything, just imagine that everyone on the street is trying to run into you.

Have fun and post some pics.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm 32 and fairly responsible (definitely not a crazy kid anymore) I've wanted one of these for many years. I can't think of a better choice for me. Should be picking it up a week from tomorrow. So excited.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The 696 was my first bike and it can be a good starter bike if you are careful.

However, before you get it, be mindful of the maintenance costs. As a new bike owner I wanted a Ducati for many reasons, but as I put on the miles and the maintenance charges added up, it became more expensive than I realized.

I am averaging about $0.15 per mile in maintenance and parts so far. $250 for oil change, $900 for maintenance every 7500 miles.

Another tip: get a few miles on the new tires to make them less slippery.

Congrats.

·
Registered
410 Posts
In a related story:

"Parting out new barely used Monster 696, dropped once, bent frame"...

Just kidding!

I'm 32 as well. My 748S is my second bike- had a 250 ninja in high school - '94-'99. Dropped it once.

And my 748- well, managed to have only one toyota corolla try and ram me. I won.

·
Registered
33 Posts
+1 on first bike point. Statistics is POWER! I became statistics. First year is REALLY dangerous. If i had to do it all over again, i would get a cheap used bike and maybe save me a spleen, left lung, couple bones and time in hospital + totalled 696. But nobody listens till it happens. I didnt

Before

After

1 - 20 of 29 Posts