Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On watching the Donnington MotoGp the other day I wondered, why do riders (esp Rossi) lift or stretch their inside leg off the peg when getting ready to go into a turn?

·
Registered
76 Posts
i've heard commentators say that when asked, rossi himself cannot really explain why he does it. the riders just say it feels natural.

·
9,757 Posts
As you know, if you want cornering clearance you need to reposition your inside foot so that your toe is resting on the foot rest as opposed to the arch of your foot (if you rest the arch of your foot your boot will obstruct cornering clearance).

Now, as you approach the corner, you brake hard and downshift a few gears before tipping the bike in. The problem is that when you brake as hard as the pros do, the g-forces involved make it difficult to reposition your foot, and as a result you're inclined to just let your leg dangle as soon as you're done downshifting, and reposition your foot as soon as the g-forces abate.

It is more common for riders to do this on the shifting side than the rear brake side.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Its a motorcross technique for coming into corners hard and using the leg to help balance and protect the inside of the corner.

Rossi was not the first roadracer to use it, in fact if I recall Troy Bayliss had used it years before Rossi on special out of control occasions.

Lots of riders try to emulate Rossi because why not... But Rossi, Stoner, Hayden, Vermulen, Bayliss, etc... those guys do it because of the motorcross skills and as Rossi put it, because it just feels natural.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
9,757 Posts
Its a motorcross technique for coming into corners hard and using the leg to help balance and protect the inside of the corner.

Rossi was not the first roadracer to use it, in fact if I recall Troy Bayliss had used it years before Rossi on special out of control occasions.

Lots of riders try to emulate Rossi because why not... But Rossi, Stoner, Hayden, Vermulen, Bayliss, etc... those guys do it because of the motorcross skills and as Rossi put it, because it just feels natural.
I've read that explanation as well. Seems to me though that if other guys are doing it they're not just copying Rossi et al's style. It must have some sort of practical function. Even Pedrosa does it now.

Didn't Keith Code spout a blurb on it here recently?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
Best reasoning I've heard is it lowers the center of gravity under heavy breaking and helps keep the bike more stable on corner entry. They don't do it on the right handers due to the rear brake.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm a total noob who doesn't race or do trackdays (yet) and I find myself wanting to do this (I think.) I haven't watched much GP but from what you are describing, it sounds like something I instinctively want to do. Kinda like I'm preparing to put my knee out because I subconsciously know it goes out and at the same time, I pull my toes up onto the peg. I do it less now that I bled my rear brake and try to use it more.

·
Registered
0 Posts
one of the commentators said it was to help to shift the riders weight when approaching a corner at high speeds. how true that is...who knows.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
I'm a total noob who doesn't race or do trackdays (yet) and I find myself wanting to do this (I think.) I haven't watched much GP but from what you are describing, it sounds like something I instinctively want to do. Kinda like I'm preparing to put my knee out because I subconsciously know it goes out and at the same time, I pull my toes up onto the peg. I do it less now that I bled my rear brake and try to use it more.
Ehh, ya probably gotta watch more GP followed by some Motorcross and check the comparisons.

Normally, you kinda slide over the seat and get your knee out, as your entering the corner, if you do it too early the bike can become twitchy. Thats why the guys who hang their legs off, don't change their body positions immediately, leg first then as the foot goes back onto the pegs, lean off the bike.

Its a pretty interesting ballet.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I heard at Laguna it had something to do with flatulence.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its why Ben Spies uses his elbows... He found out that riding with a greater mass increased the chances others wouldn't be able to make a safe pass. Obviously it doesn't slow him down either.
Are there blocking rules in MotoGp or WSBK (e.g. F1)? I thought elbows out Spies was just his style...not that I really think they're a bunch of boy scouts;)

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Are there blocking rules in MotoGp or WSBK (e.g. F1)? I thought elbows out Spies was just his style...not that I really think they're a bunch of boy scouts;)
Spies admitted the elbows out came from trying to make himself large as possible on the bike, so nobody would attempt to pass. You'll notice, when Stoner gets elbow, he doesn't stick his elbows out, he's leaned over so much it just touches the ground. Spies sticks his elbows out way before the corner. He ain't that big of a guy... Xaus has an excuse, the fucker is huge... Spies does it because he likes it.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Spies admitted the elbows out came from trying to make himself large as possible on the bike, so nobody would attempt to pass. You'll notice, when Stoner gets elbow, he doesn't stick his elbows out, he's leaned over so much it just touches the ground. Spies sticks his elbows out way before the corner. He ain't that big of a guy... Xaus has an excuse, the fucker is huge... Spies does it because he likes it.
That was a joke, he doesn't do it to block riders. He knows that any pro rider would just hit his elbow and knock him off the bike if it came down to it. It was how Kevin Schwantz trained him to ride. And at 5-11 he is only 1.5 inches shorter than Xaus. They are both big for riders, but they aren't that big.

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
Kevin didn't train him to do that, he did it before he really started working a lot with Kevin. I think it mainly came about from having nowhere else to put them on his 125. It definitely isn't to block other riders, homey don't play that. He'll make himself hard to pass by riding, listen to the race two Brno interview.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts