Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While riding home today on my 1995 900SS, the battery light came on.

Additionally, the aftermarket voltage meter that I installed, which always glows in the green, was now in the yellow zone. Even revving the engine had no effect. (See photo attached. Voltage meter is on the far right of the dash. Headlight is on when this pic was taken.)

I pulled the bike into the garage, and let it run while pulling out my cell phone to take a pic of this, and... the bike just shut down.

I was easily able to get it started again.

I noticed that if I turned my headlight off (aftermarket HID installed 2 years ago) the green light would flicker on idle, but if I revved the engine, it would go off, leaving only the yellow lights.

I do have a voltage meter to check connections but... honestly, I'll need you to explain what to do as if I was five. No joke!

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stator resistance reading

Thanks for sharing the Bike Boy link. Super helpful.

Question:

My Haynes manual says the resistance reading for my stator should be between .2 and .4 ohms.

My multimeter is giving me a reading of .6 –*.7.

What is this saying about the condition of the stator?

Incidentally, the diode tests for my rectifier / regulator indicated I needed a replacement, and that's been ordered.

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
Thanks for sharing the Bike Boy link. Super helpful.

Question:

My Haynes manual says the resistance reading for my stator should be between .2 and .4 ohms.

My multimeter is giving me a reading of .6 –*.7.

What is this saying about the condition of the stator?

Incidentally, the diode tests for my rectifier / regulator indicated I needed a replacement, and that's been ordered.
I wouldn't worry too much about your stator until you have the new RR (which by your symptoms, is what I would have picked to have failed). That resistance is near enough. I would check the wires that run up from the stator - pay particular attention to the connectors, as these are prone to corrosion, and then they heat up and can melt insulation.

While you're at the electricals - it might be an idea to clean (nice and shiny, and sand the paint off the frame where they're attached) up all the ground connections (battery - frame, frame - engine).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All good information. Thank you everybody very much.

My new regulator/rectifier arrived today and wouldn’t you know it; the bullet connectors aren’t quite the right size, so I’m going to be cutting and splicing and crimping my way to happiness. (I know that it’s the right model. But it’s a newer design, so I’m not entirely surprised.)

Another question however: the two yellow wires leading up from the stator; is there a positive and a negative? When I connect them to the regulator/rectifier since everything is yellow, does it matter?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you. Electrical is voodoo and Greek to me. Appreciate the clarification again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts