Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all!

i just bought this 900ss from a member you may recall. it is a beautiful machine and i am in love.

two questions:

1. any sources on lowering rearsets? i am a long guy and i think if the foot pegs were about an inch lower i would be more comfortable.

2. fuel economy. i did a 130 mile ride last night, 2/3 of which was in the local canyons here in the area around salt lake. when i filled the tank today, it only took two gallons! is it possible that the machine got 60MPG?!

thanks,

darell

Attachments

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
1. not that I have ever seen
2. 60 mpg sounds very high, maybe 40 if cruising.
btw congrats on the bike.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
60MPG seemed super high to me, as well. maybe i read the petrol pump wrong. i'll continue to keep track and see what happens.

·
Registered
570 Posts
1. Lowering rearsets was discussed on here within the last week or so, as well as a few other times. Ducati Designs and Desmotimes both have options, as well as going out and buying adjustable rearsets like acculigns. Try the Search feature on the site, you'll probably find answers to that and most of your other questions.

2. My 900 normally gets around 40 or 45 MPG. Depends on how hard you run it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1. Lowering rearsets was discussed on here within the last week or so, as well as a few other times. Ducati Designs and Desmotimes both have options, as well as going out and buying adjustable rearsets like acculigns. Try the Search feature on the site, you'll probably find answers to that and most of your other questions.

2. My 900 normally gets around 40 or 45 MPG. Depends on how hard you run it.
doh! the search feature!

·
Registered
284 Posts
I am 6' 1" and find the rearsets exactly where they should be with the Woodcraft versions. I do not think they lower the OEM position but....

More importantly my last trip on my 1995 900 (944 big-bore kit) and Nichols Dual Spark Head was 1609 odo miles. The times I was keeping track between tanks I did a consistent 59 - 60 mpg normal cruising. And I do mean 3.4 gallons every 200 miles. I too was impressed since I just got this thing and this was the first time I rode it with all of the modifications. Keep in mind though that I was following a normal break-in rev limit protocol. Your numbers do not suprise me.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am 6' 1" and find the rearsets exactly where they should be with the Woodcraft versions. I do not think they lower the OEM position but....

More importantly my last trip on my 1995 900 (944 big-bore kit) and Nichols Dual Spark Head was 1609 odo miles. The times I was keeping track between tanks I did a consistent 59 - 60 mpg normal cruising. And I do mean 3.4 gallons every 200 miles. I too was impressed since I just got this thing and this was the first time I rode it with all of the modifications. Keep in mind though that I was following a normal break-in rev limit protocol. Your numbers do not suprise me.
looking up specs, i saw numbers from 25MPG to 45MPG. i have to admit that, while i wasn't constantly keeping the bike at redline, i wasn't taking it overly easy either. on top of which, 80 miles of the ride was in canyons.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I got 45-50 mpg with the Mikunis, now I get 50-60 with Keihin 41 FCRs. My ST3s gets 60-65 mpg! Be careful about lower footpegs. Those bikes don't have enough cornering clearance as it is and you will soon be grinding footpegs and shift and brake levers if you go lower, especially when you take it to Miller for a track day:D. See you there Aug 8th if you want to see a cool track 900 SS/SP (mine;)), and of course have an amazing time with no cars, Winnebagos, cops, deer, gravel, guard rails, oil patches, etc., etc. Canyons are fun but track days are better than sex (maybe)!
Joe

·
Registered
152 Posts
I also get up 60mpg with 41 FCR's on my 94 CR. My wife has a 95 CR with stock carbs and I always use less fuel than her when we are riding together, her bike has to work harder to keep up to me!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got 45-50 mpg with the Mikunis, now I get 50-60 with Keihin 41 FCRs. My ST3s gets 60-65 mpg! Be careful about lower footpegs. Those bikes don't have enough cornering clearance as it is and you will soon be grinding footpegs and shift and brake levers if you go lower, especially when you take it to Miller for a track day:D. See you there Aug 8th if you want to see a cool track 900 SS/SP (mine;)), and of course have an amazing time with no cars, Winnebagos, cops, deer, gravel, guard rails, oil patches, etc., etc. Canyons are fun but track days are better than sex (maybe)!
Joe
yeah, i think i realized this today. i'll leave it as it is.

the stance is fairly comfortable for me, if i could just alleviate a little pressure on my right palm and replace the seat. 3+ hours on this bike and my butt was killing me. oddly enough, my left hand is fine, its just the right palm that is pinching a nerve or something.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Me too, right hand only. I have a bit of carpal tunnel issue and it's hard to relax/stretch the right hand and wrist and still grip the throttle! Try gripping more with knees to take all weight off hands. Sargent saddle...well made, nice features and as comfy as they get. Also shake hand out/stretch wrist a few times in the first part of the ride; that helps me some. I also have CycleCat bars/risers which are somewhat higher and help a little.
Joe

·
Registered
284 Posts
looking up specs, i saw numbers from 25MPG to 45MPG. i have to admit that, while i wasn't constantly keeping the bike at redline, i wasn't taking it overly easy either. on top of which, 80 miles of the ride was in canyons.
The mileage numbers are what they are. The speedometer/odometer discrepancy of +5-10% does lower the mileage by the same percentage but after a 190-200 mile run I put in between 3.2 - 3.4 gallons of fuel. The guy I was with on his 2003 BMW K1200GT used a tad over 5 gallons to cover the same distance. It is just simple math. FWIW, My carby is equipped with the Keihin 39 FCRs. Your 99 CR I do believe is fuel injected? I am not arguing, I just know what 200/3.3 is.

I am really looking forward to a few hundred miles on the Blue Ridge Pkwy seeing what a 50 mph pace does.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My '96 SP w/ jetted stock carbs, open air box, Leo Vince cans & 15/39 gearing regularly gets ~48 mpg during spirited riding. I try to ride a fast "Pace" - fast curves, reasonable (60-80 mph) straights on the winding foothill roads around here. No info re: city or freeway milage, sorry (not really!:). TT

·
Registered
322 Posts
i recently bought a 98 fe with a set of kehin 41s and forza exhaust. 15-39 gearing. my first 5 tankfuls i have got 65- 70 mpg.mostly riding with some hard riding buddys.this is at 7500-8000 ft.and jetted to rich.:abduct i was going to convert over to fuel injection but my injected supersport averaged 45mpg. well, i ain't changing anything.:D

·
Registered
175 Posts
my 2007 seems to get 55 mpg consistantly with normal everyday riding. (some higher speeds, some quick starts, etc. but not what anyone would call racing) never goes much above that, although it sometimes goes as low as 50 mpg.

rear sets i cant help you on but looks like you've figured out they may not be a great idea anyway.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Sure

hi all!

i just bought this 900ss from a member you may recall. it is a beautiful machine and i am in love.

2. fuel economy. i did a 130 mile ride last night, 2/3 of which was in the local canyons here in the area around salt lake. when i filled the tank today, it only took two gallons! is it possible that the machine got 60MPG?!
Entirely possible. On long rides on the Colorado plains to Kansas, etc. I have done 58mpg quite often on my 1994 900ss, so 60 is not out of line.:eek:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i just filled it again. it took 2.0 gallons with 95 miles showing on the trip odometer. all but about 10 of these miles were in the canyon. i am pleased, to say the least, with that economy and range on the motorcycle.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Fellow noob here as well and I just discovered the only thing that does not work on my '95 CR - the gas light! Ran out of gas and was lucky enough to cost down a big hill (I live in S.F.) to a gas station. My previous bike (old BMW) got better mpg but I would never go back!!!!

·
Registered
518 Posts
actually the pegs are from Ducati Designs. And they lowered mine about 1 inch and 1/4 back. (30 MM size). they are 360 degress adjustable, so I just sweep em back when I feel like a spirited ride, but for the long rides 1 inch lower is HUGE. especially for the top and behind knees.

the are cut inderneath and are spring loded and breakaway so even if you drag em no worries.

I suggest em. I dont know how fast you go, but cmon, for the street? how fast do you need to go every ride? sometimes a lil comfort is more important.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts