Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scored some Nonfango rails and top box rack on Ebay but it came without instructions. Anyone have these please or some pointers

·
Mr Leakered
8,868 Posts
I have some detail pics around here somewhere. I think it was in the thread that inlinejohn (I think) had going about the top case rack that he was fabbing?

Lemme know if you can't find it. I can send you a link to my pics if I can find them.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers tonered, I would search for it if i had the first idea how to search on this forum

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
If you look at the tabs on the brackets, one side sits more flush than the other. You get the flush side to sit up against the flush side of the bag-bracket-tabs. They basically bolt to the same 2 points up on the frame, and the bolt(s) pass thru both tabs.

They can only be installed one way...

Reactions: Johnny and tonered

·
Mr Leakered
8,868 Posts
No worries. I got your back.

This was the thread that I was thinking of, but my pics are not in it:
https://www.ducati.ms/forums/40-sport-touring/390154-givi-top-case-mounting-rails-dyi.html

It might give you some ideas though.

Here is a link to pics that I took back in September 2010:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Y4GCbntbi2EkTpKV8

Posts in that timeframe are on Page 205 these days, but that is only when the last post was made. The stupid search doesn't allow a post date range.

Anyway, from those pics, you should be able to get it. The tricks are to completely remove the four rubber grommets. The top case rack goes inside of the antlers. The linked pics will show the orientation of that one bolted on angle bracket. If you use some baling wire, you can easily thread the turn signal wires inside of the antlers. Be sure that the lower bolt on the left antler does not stick out further than the back side of the nut or it will hit the swing arm.

Lemme know if you need anything else.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to you both. My issue is that I intend to use the Nonfanfo rails that fit to the ST with the panier brackets in conjucntion with a GIVI top plate. At this stage I don't know how to fit either system let alone a hybrid of the two!

·
Mr Leakered
8,868 Posts
You're welcome.

The Nonfango antlers fit either the Nonfango or Givi top case mount that was originally purchased through Ducati. The part number that you note in the title is the Ducati part number that works.

You can see this if you lay an antler against the mount rail. The bends in the brackets line up and flow together. You can see this in my pics also. I have Nonfango cases and the top case mount made by Givi. I use a generic Givi top case (E460).

The only mount that cannot be used with the antlers is the Givi mount that you buy directly from Givi. I believe it has straight rails.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Hey Tony,

Do you use the original bolts that just did the antlers? Or do you need longer ones when you add the rear rails?

I have an older rear set-up that I bought, but have not tried to fit it yet.

·
Mr Leakered
8,868 Posts
Hey Tony,

Do you use the original bolts that just did the antlers? Or do you need longer ones when you add the rear rails?

I have an older rear set-up that I bought, but have not tried to fit it yet.
I installed mine in the dealer parking lot in 2008 when I got it, since the box was larger than expected. I used the existing hardware with no problem, only having to remove the rubber grommets for the space needed to pass both brackets through.

You should be able to see if you have a few threads showing past the frame clips under the seat. That is all the additional grip length that you would need.

hi all,
You need longer bolts to fit the top case rails.
Sorry, but I didn't need longer bolts.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Thanks Tony and BJ.

I'll use caution when I proceed.

Reactions: tonered

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I installed mine in the dealer parking lot in 2008 when I got it, since the box was larger than expected. I used the existing hardware with no problem, only having to remove the rubber grommets for the space needed to pass both brackets through.

You should be able to see if you have a few threads showing past the frame clips under the seat. That is all the additional grip length that you would need.

Sorry, but I didn't need longer bolts.

Have a good one.
Just had too much time on a trip thinking about this. With only two bolts one per side what is to stop the rack twisting from the parallel?

·
Super Moderator
5,382 Posts
The brackets are beefy. Once bolted on there won’t be any twisting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Mr Leakered
8,868 Posts
The brackets are beefy. Once bolted on there won’t be any twisting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly. I had that thing over loaded some many times, I can't even count. What I run into more often is that with loaded cases and stuff strapped to the rear seat (like a cooler full of beer), the front gets a bit light for twisty roads.

Also when the ST is on the Park-n-Move, I routinely push down on the rack to lift the front wheel for pivoting the bike around the garage. This takes something around 70lb to do.

Have a good one.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok so I had a good look today and still can't see how each side has one bolt and the centre bolt at that. My Nonfango system appears to have the centre bolt fixing and adjusting the angle of the rack while each arm is fixed by two bolts on both sides and these are either side of the main centre bolt.

The Centre bolt is not long enough to go through the rack and the antler

Pictures from Right to left show Nonfango antler end // then Nonfango plate // then Givi offered to Nonfango antler end.

If I want to fit the GIVI I think I need to get the Universal adapter plate.

Attachments

·
Mr Leakered
8,868 Posts
Hey, Johnny.

I think I had things crossed up. The thread title notes the Givi top case rack part number. I took it to mean that you were fitting Nonfango side case mounts (antlers) with a Givi top case mount. Your pics look nothing like the Givi top case mount that I have, so I am guessing that it is the Nonfango top case mount?

You can see what the Givi rail to plate connection looks like in the second link in Post 5, above.

At any rate, Nonfango top case mount will still install behind the antlers with no problem. Usually, you install the plate for the case once you have the rails installed on the bike. So looking at your pics, I think you need to rotate the plate 90deg for the two holes line up for each slot and are installed with additional fasteners?

Some wider pics might help also?

Have a good one.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey, Johnny.

I thought the part number was a Nonfango top box rack with antliers. That is the listing I have from Italian ebay where I go the kit. I came in a Ducati box but with no instructions.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Support-...-Ducati-St2-St4-Code-967015STAG-/264005393218

The Pics show this Nonfango antlers and brackets that came with the above. These can only mount parallel to the length of the bike so I can’t twist them to fit. I shall be very mush trusting to luck if I want to fit the Nonfango antlers and bracket with the GIVI adapter plate rack.
I have one rail on with the pannier rail in place which was relatively easy. Getting the plate to fix so I can get a GIVI case on is going to be the kicker. Otherwise I may have to have a Nonfango case

Pics to follow

·
Mr Leakered
8,868 Posts
You want to attach a Givi case to a Nonfango mount? I have no idea there.

As best as I can tell, the two holes that I am pointing at might be where you attach the Nonfango plate to the Nonfango rails. That is about all that I got. You might have to wait until someone that had a Nonfango top case mount sees this thread?

Have a good one.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Cheers Tony,

Checked out adapter plates etc but by far my best option looks to be to drill a GiVI monokey at least for two of the four fixing bolts. Then add some countersunk screws.

I can't work out yet where the spacers go bu hey um.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Wow. The stinkin' steel brackets din't change (did they, really?) I don't think so. So there should not be a huge difference going from the old non-fango setup to the newer stuff.

Hey, I have a bridge that I can sell to you...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts