Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After reading many of Liam's (Fast Bike Gear) posts about coils and leads when using an Ignitech, I decided to try some Nology coils. I ordered mine directly from Liam. (Note that if you live outside of NZ, the Fast Bike Gear e-commerce site may not work for you. Contact Liam via email with orders.)

Last year, I built an aluminum battery box when I installed pod filters. The new battery box incorporated the CA Cycleworks coils I'd been using. You can read about it here if interested....
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supersport/433529-ss-900-carby-battery-box.html

My Nology install was fairly straight forward due to the dedicated battery box. With the OEM airbox, you'll need to fabricate a replacement for the cad-plated bracket that holds the coils and igniters, as the coil mounting points are different. In the 1st pic, you'll see that I used the double threaded posts from the OEM bracket to mount the Nologys.

The OEM (and CA Cycleworks) coils have different sized (+) and (-) blades; both blades on the Nology coils he same size. I wanted to maintain the OEM harness and spade connectors, so I used a Dremel and file to reduce the size of the Nology (-) blades - easy peasy :). 1mm removed, and good to go.

I used my existing CA CW leads. This involved soldering and crimping the coil end of the lead to the Nology connector. Anyone with basic soldering skills should find this easy.

Fyi, you'll see in the 3rd and 4th pics the aluminum strap I made to hold the master fuse to the back of the battery box.

Here's what the install looks like...

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Hi,

Nice, super clean install... Wish I could dump the breather box on mine but without it I would never pass inspection...

Gray

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, was it worth it? Is it an improvement? The short answer is that I don't know yet. I'll have a better idea when I get the bike on the dyno this weekend. I can say that the motor feels smoother at sub-3000 rpms than before, but this is only an impression. I'll share additional details as I get them.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

Nice, super clean install... Wish I could dump the breather box on mine but without it I would never pass inspection...

Gray
Thanks! We complain about the regulation we have to put up with in the states. By comparison, though, I think we get off pretty easy :D.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I just ordered some Nology coils in Germany. Will have to wait 10-14 days for delivery as the coils were out of stock and have to be ordered in the US...

I don't have any idea yet how and where to install these coils since I'm gonna combine them with an Ignitech ignition.
I hope I can use the stock coil/kokusan-bracket (modified to fit the nology's) but I never saw a Nology/Ignitech combination on the (modified) stock bracket. ( I have the stock airbox)

As soon as I receive all the parts (coils and ignition) I can start measuring and trying.

Anyone here with the same Ignitech/Nology-set up in combination with the stock airbox?
Any idea wether I can modify the stock bracket for this set-up or should I fabricate a complete new one?
I don't even know if there's enough room to house the coils and the ignitech. Maybe I should install the ignitech somewhere else?

·
Registered
180 Posts
The ignitech fits nicely in the tail. I just put some Velcro on the black plastic right in front of the little tail storage compartment
Great info!! Thanks!

Is the standard wiring loom (which comes with the ignitech) long enough to mount the unit in the tail or should I mention that I'd like to install the unit in the tail when I order the Ignitech?

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you order directly from Ignitech, you can request a longer loom. Specific to the Nology coils, if I recall correctly they have the same mounting points as the OEM coils.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
So about this Ignitech unit .... does it replace the stock "igniters" of the '96 900SS/CR? At $135.00 USD it's actually a bargain when compared with igniters I've had to buy for other bikes (for example, 30 year old used ones for Honda V4 bikes are over $200 each, and TWO are required).

I ask because I've gone through igniter issues with 1980s/1990s bikes in the past ... primarily the problem of non-availability of stock units due to them becoming no longer produced. I figure if I'm going to keep a few things like coils and igniters on hand as spares, it might serve me to look into going aftermarket ... I mean if I'm spending the money anyway, why not go with some sort of upgrade, y'know?

Always trying to look ahead.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
So about this Ignitech unit .... does it replace the stock "igniters" of the '96 900SS/CR? .
No, that's extra.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
No, that's not what I mean ... what you posted is essentially the "crank trigger" of a system.

These air cooled Ducati engine ignition systems are wasted spark type right? If ~yes~ then ....

** Crank triggers send a timing signal to each igniter.
** Each igniter then fires sending a lower voltage to each ignition coil.
** Then each coil discharges into each spark plug.

So my question is, does one Ignitech unit replace both igniters?

Let me do some research on the stock system so I can use the Ducati nomenclature language to describe what I mean (possibly "ignition boxes"). Then I can pose the question properly.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yes the ignitech gets rid of the two black Kokusan igniter boxes and replaces them completely as a standalone unit. It connects to the crank sensors and the ignition coils.

·
Registered
180 Posts
For better or worse, it also gets rid of the wasted spark.
You do need the FBG Hall Effect Pick Up Mounting Kit to get rid of the wasted spark.
The ignitech alone doesn't do that. It's crank driven and gets its signal from the stock pick-ups. So it gets a signal for each revolution, inlet stroke as well as exhaust stroke.
The FBG-kit is cam driven (1/2 speed of the crank) and that's what you need to get rid of the wasted spark.

The main advantage of the ignitech is that you can create your own ingition curve. And it can be connected to a TPS so you can create a "3D" ignition curve. And it's cheaper than two Kokusan-units. And it can be connected to a quick-shifter, a shifting warning light, a rev-limiter,...

The main thing to keep in mind is that with an ignitech you can only have one resistor in the spark-plug, spark-cap and spark-plug leads circuit. So if you use a "R"-spark plug, you have to use a cap without a resistor and leads with as little as possible resistance. If you wanna use a spark plug cap with a build-in resistor, you'll need spark plugs and leads without a resistor.
Besides that, the ignitech is plug and play. (if you mention you type of bike and year when ordering the unit)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Yes, that's it.
It's a nice little extra on the ignitech but the problem is that I've never seen a TPS for the stock Mikuni carbs...
Nope, you'd need to swap to FCR´s and then Liam can sell you his TPS kit as well - gotta go the whole hog & FCR´s are one of the most essential - I´ll get my coat...😆😆😆

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Nope, you'd need to swap to FCR´s and then Liam can sell you his TPS kit as well - gotta go the whole hog & FCR´s are one of the most essential - I´ll get my coat...😆😆😆
And Liam would be .... ?????

·
Registered
159 Posts
Liam Venter of fastbikegear.co.nz - he's made some pretty neat ignition accessories for these bikes, and also wrote the definitive guide to the ignitech ignition and how to set it up.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts