Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering the purchase of a Nolan N102 helmet for my Ducati ST2 with the likely addition of a communication system in the future. I really like the simple styling (no racy graphics) for touring purposes and the flip up front so I don't have to remove my glasses every time I apply or take off the helmet. I've read that today's flip up helmets are far superior to the original ones from years past so impact protection should be improved. Also, one nice feature is the separate dark shield that moves freely from the clear one so no more switching shields when the sun goes down or suffering from bugs attacking your face at night! Additional features and a variety of color options (I like the titanium and atlantic blue...of course!) can be found in the link provided.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=21442&department=101&Division=1

Anyone use this helmet or know of someone who does? Any input on strengths and weaknesses would be most appreciated. Thanks.

PS...It's made in Italy!

Thomas

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
regardless of modernization of design or improvements....I today will still not use a mudular flip-up helmet due to the fact that in a frontal impact...the chin bars are likely to spread causing the faceportion to cave in and give way....it is no longer a connected circle...it is a broken circle and likely to give...meaning the integrity is not that of a full face helmet....think of modular helmets as a 3/4 helmet with a facial deflection more intricate than that of a screen only on a typical 3/4 helmet....that being said...if you are still okay with it....go for it!

as far as my touring helmet....due to laziness...I have not done my write-up...but I will be on my Schuberth S-1.....quiet!...comfortable...good airflow!...and a convenient drop down shaded visor integrated....not cheap...but worth the bucks in my opinion!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
zooom said:
regardless of modernization of design or improvements....I today will still not use a mudular flip-up helmet due to the fact that in a frontal impact...the chin bars are likely to spread causing the faceportion to cave in and give way....it is no longer a connected circle...it is a broken circle and likely to give...meaning the integrity is not that of a full face helmet....think of modular helmets as a 3/4 helmet with a facial deflection more intricate than that of a screen only on a typical 3/4 helmet....that being said...if you are still okay with it....go for it!

as far as my touring helmet....due to laziness...I have not done my write-up...but I will be on my Schuberth S-1.....quiet!...comfortable...good airflow!...and a convenient drop down shaded visor integrated....not cheap...but worth the bucks in my opinion!
Thanks zooom, good info...this is why we post. With that said, I'd still like to hear from others, particulary on the safety/impact resistance of modular helmets to get their take. For what it's worth, my current lid is an AGV Demon Top (full face)...it's a good helmet, it's just that the modular/flip up helmets struck my curiosity. I too was concerned about frontal impact resistance which was why I looked for reviews on-line for the Nolan N102 and posted here. Zooom...I can't wait to read your write-up on Schuberth S-1, I'll do a web search and check it out myself as well.

Best,

Thomas

·
Registered
18 Posts
nolan

hey amigo...just a quick note to tell you that i have this helmet...love it..nice to be able to just flip it up and ..be understood. chicks dig it too. by the way if you are worried about the front of the helmet being smashed into your mug...the only thing another type of helmet might do is make you recognizable at your farewell party. if you hit something that hard..faaaaggeeeit!! :D :alien:

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
motomaj said:
by the way if you are worried about the front of the helmet being smashed into your mug...the only thing another type of helmet might do is make you recognizable at your farewell party. if you hit something that hard..faaaaggeeeit!! :D :alien:
LOL! Thanks for the input and I'm glad to hear your lovin' your Nolan. I still haven't purchased a new helmet yet and I'm not counting out the Nolan N102 quite yet...time will tell.

Ride safe amigo!

·
Registered
62 Posts
BlueST2 said:
I'm considering the purchase of a Nolan N102 helmet for my Ducati ST2 with the likely addition of a communication system in the future. I really like the simple styling (no racy graphics) for touring purposes and the flip up front so I don't have to remove my glasses every time I apply or take off the helmet. I've read that today's flip up helmets are far superior to the original ones from years past so impact protection should be improved. Also, one nice feature is the separate dark shield that moves freely from the clear one so no more switching shields when the sun goes down or suffering from bugs attacking your face at night! Additional features and a variety of color options (I like the titanium and atlantic blue...of course!) can be found in the link provided.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=21442&department=101&Division=1

Anyone use this helmet or know of someone who does? Any input on strengths and weaknesses would be most appreciated. Thanks.

PS...It's made in Italy!

Thomas

Thomas, check this out...
http://www.mawonline.com/nolan.htm#Helmets full face

·
Registered
209 Posts
Nolan Helmet

I have the newer x1002, which has the fiberglass shell and the newer release mechanism, and the flip down sun screen. I had the N102 before that, so you probably already know my opinion on this type of helmet. I like the fact that you can pull up your chinbar to talk to people. In touring, you sometimes need a little help from the locals, and opening up your helmet makes you alot less threatening. I also like pulling into a roadside coffee stand, order up my double espresso, slam it down and roll on with out getting off the bike, or finding a place to put the helmet. The X series is an extension of the X-Lite helmets, and offer a better shell than the injection molded version. The latch bits are metal, so chinguard integrity should be better than some of the other flip ups. I really like the flip down sun shield. On those days that I can't find my sunglasses it works out dandy, and for those evenings that you end up riding right into the sun, the combination of sunglasses and the shield make it viable. If your commute includes a ride into the sun, this helmet is the perfect choice. The new helmet has better detents for the face shield also, so the first position is just barely open, which is where I ride it most of the time in warm weather.

The down sides are;
It seems to fog up real easy. That's why the supply the pop in fog shield, and the breathe diverter shields, which I haven't installed yet.
It also seems to have a low window, meaning that it sits pretty low on my head. I really have to crane my neck to see a traffic light in front of me. It becomes more of a problem when I ride my Sport with clip ons, but isn't so bad on the ST2. I have this problem with some other helmets too, so maybe I just have a short forehead. Like all products that fit your body, try them on so you can see if it fits you.

Otherwise, comfy, and quiet enough. I wear earplugs all the time anyway.

Phil
98ST2

·
Registered
403 Posts
In your considerations, take a look at the Caberg Justissimo. Integrated internal sunshield like on the Schuberth (not personally a fan of the Nolan's external sunshield), but quite a bit less expensive yet probably a better helmet accoring to several reviews. Caberg is so proud of how the Justissimo compares to their flip-up competition, they actually reference four different magazine comparisson tests with stickers right on their shield. Try one on, though (don't know who would buy a helmet WITHOUT trying it on!). While fit is generally good, the chin bar does sit close to the mouth and chin. People with chins that stick out farther than others sometimes complain about it. Caberg does this on purpose though, so that the angle of impact dispersion is less. Long chin that sticks out far equals more leverage on opening mechanism. Here is a review from a website with lots of great stuff on helmets...

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/caberg-justissimo/

·
Registered
2 Posts
I´m using the N102 and I like it. by the way, anyone knows where to find in America the n-com communication system for the Nolan N102?
Thanks

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
duce said:
I´m using the N102 and I like it. by the way, anyone knows where to find in America the n-com communication system for the Nolan N102?
Thanks
duce:

I hope your still out there as it's been awhile since your post.

I just began to research Nolan's N-Com communication system for their helmets. From what I've read online, only certain models are accepting of the N-Com unit. Furthermore, the helmets have to have the designated N-Com removable plate on the left side where the unit installs into the helmet. I don't believe any of the Nolan helmets imported to America have the specific N-Com cut-out plate section.

The communication system comes in two varieties; the "Basic Kit" (wired system), and the "Bluetooth" kit (wireless system). the N-Com designated helmets are obviously built to receive these systems and installation is said to be very straight forward.

I know that the Nolan N-Com helmets can be purchased through Great Britain and other European sources but again, I have not found any suppliers of Nolan helmets in America that yet carry the specific models with the N-Com designation. I believe they will come within the year (I'm not sure where I read that).

http://ncom.nolan.it/Index_ENG.aspx

http://www.nolan.it/home.asp

I hope some of this helps.

PS...Thanks to Phil and Nathan for their replies. I'm looking into both the Schuberth and Caberg Justisimmo helmet as well.

Cheers,

Thomas

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been using the Nolan flip face helmet for a while now and like it alot. The chin bar does come close to my chin but does not bother me. Being able to flip up the chinbar is a nice feature when getting gas or waiting for a light or traffic when the temp is high. However my next helmet will be the Caberg, I like the integrated tinted visor, one less thing that I have to carry on my bike. Go here for a review of modular helmets, scroll down near the bottom http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval.asp
www.helmetharbor.com has pretty good prices and I had excellent customer service from them.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I saw a Nolan ad and I just bought an Arai RX7. Sure wish that I saw that ad first. There were so many features and the double sheild is interesting. Maybe in a year or two I can splurg and have two helmets in use.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts