Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone encountered any noise coming from the front end of their bike? I can describe it as a creaking bed sound. My girlfriend seems to think that it is plastic rubbing against something. This sound has gotten progressively worse for the past few months. It started with a single creek during quick suspension action and now is a steady creak as if it was sexy time on an old bed.

I can try to record a video and post it on youtube if it will be helpful.

I am a fairly good DIY guy and generally do all my own maitenance. But, I am at a loss with this issue.

The bike is a standard model 08.

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
You're just going to have to start removing bodywork and other non-critical parts until the noise goes away, or becomes obvious.

My guess, based upon your description, would be hoses or cables rubbing somewhere. Try bouncing the front end with the bars at different angles and see if the noise disappears at some bar positions...

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have heard of noise coming from the front fenders. The fix is removing the bolts and puting in a rubber/nylon washer in to insulate it.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
is this noise only heard when the front brakes are applied?

if yes, suggest you look at the pads before you start taking plastic bits off ... imho, a lot faster and easier to inspect and fix than removing body bits and installing washers.

if not when brakes are applied, then start pulling plastic bits :rolleyes:

·
Registered
513 Posts
My streetrod develops a creaking sound when the steering head bearings become loose. In initial stages it is undetectable by hand rocking the forks.

.... Just put it down more softly when you wheelie!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is this noise only heard when the front brakes are applied?

if yes, suggest you look at the pads before you start taking plastic bits off ... imho, a lot faster and easier to inspect and fix than removing body bits and installing washers.

if not when brakes are applied, then start pulling plastic bits :rolleyes:
it isn't dependant on the brakes. I can hear it as I hit bumps while riding. I can really hear it as I rock the front up and down with the brakes squeezed.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My streetrod develops a creaking sound when the steering head bearings become loose. In initial stages it is undetectable by hand rocking the forks.

.... Just put it down more softly when you wheelie!
I thought of the steering head bearings. The bike has less than 5500 miles on it and I don't do that many wheelies.

·
Registered
592 Posts
if its a clunk under breaking and then another clunk when you gas it I bet you $100 that you installed some frame sliders and did not grease the bolt or you have a dry engine bolt.

took a ducati race tech a few goes to suss that one out for me. we were sure it was head bearings too.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if its a clunk under breaking and then another clunk when you gas it I bet you $100 that you installed some frame sliders and did not grease the bolt or you have a dry engine bolt.

took a ducati race tech a few goes to suss that one out for me. we were sure it was head bearings too.
it isn't really a thump but a a crack. kind of the sound that it would make as if your forks were slipping in the triples.

I took off all of the plastic on the front end with no change.

The sliders make a lot of sense. it does sound like it could be coming from the front fork sliders. I also have engine sliders. I will be greasing them tomorrow to see if that is the culprit. I hope so, because I am taking it to the dealer on tuesday if I can't find the problem.

·
Registered
865 Posts
it isn't really a thump but a a crack. kind of the sound that it would make as if your forks were slipping in the triples.

The sliders make a lot of sense. it does sound like it could be coming from the front fork sliders. I also have engine sliders. I will be greasing them tomorrow to see if that is the culprit. I hope so, because I am taking it to the dealer on tuesday if I can't find the problem.
My front axel bolt was loose. Try that... It was so loose that I could turn it will my fingers. It was making the noise during the ride the week before, a clunk and a small clinky clunk...so I decided to check everything... spent 20 minutes jacking around and still heard a clunk when I turned the bars back and forth... well I finally reach for the axel nut and it turned with my fingers...

·
Registered
592 Posts

frame slider not fork slider. no need to grease that. Trust me. pull out your main engine bolt, shove some grease on it an bung it back in.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
frame slider not fork slider. no need to grease that. Trust me. pull out your main engine bolt, shove some grease on it an bung it back in.
Pedro, you are the freakin man! You likely just saved me a couple hundred $$. I was set to take the bike to the dealer tomorrow for diagnosis. I thought for sure the forks were shot.

I used the stock engine mount bolt to force the frame slider mount bolt through the engine and frame. the slider sleeves had bubbled corrosion. I cleaned things up and applied some chassis grease. So more noise!

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and really making things easier on me.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Pedro, you are the freakin man! You likely just saved me a couple hundred $$. I was set to take the bike to the dealer tomorrow for diagnosis. I thought for sure the forks were shot.

I used the stock engine mount bolt to force the frame slider mount bolt through the engine and frame. the slider sleeves had bubbled corrosion. I cleaned things up and applied some chassis grease. So more noise!

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and really making things easier on me.
no worries..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts