Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 ST3
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have a 05' ST3 with almost 70K miles on it. Lately I have noticed that when I am first taking off (releasing the clutch and accelerating) that there is this weird grinding/screeching noise coming from what sounds like the bottom of the bike. I'm not sure if this is a clutch that is starting to go out or a transmission issue. It goes away after the first 2 times I leave a stop and it runs perfectly fine other than this weird noise.
Thanks in advance for the help!!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Is your clutch function as usual , have you checked clutch plates, fluid , O-rings on clutch rod .... I am no expert but there several here that will no doubt chime in when you offer more info ... good luck !

·
Registered
2005 ST3
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is your clutch function as usual , have you checked clutch plates, fluid , O-rings on clutch rod .... I am no expert but there several here that will no doubt chime in when you offer more info ... good luck !
The clutch works perfectly fine, no slippage or chattering. I recently replaced the clutch slave cylinder but it was making the noise even with the old one. I flushed the fluid when I did the slave. I have not taken it apart to check the plates, but it sounds like I might need to go in that direction. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Is it at the exact moment when the clutch is getting fully engaged? Our dry clutch bikes sometimes make a quirky groan at that moment. This would be the first time I've heard about it on a wet-clutch DUC.

Are you revving the engine a lot when taking off? If yes, try a lower RPM launch.

·
Registered
2005 ST3
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it at the exact moment when the clutch is getting fully engaged? Our dry clutch bikes sometimes make a quirky groan at that moment. This would be the first time I've heard about it on a wet-clutch DUC.

Are you revving the engine a lot when taking off? If yes, try a lower RPM launch.
It is pretty much at the moment when the clutch is being fully engaged. I am not revving the engine very high at all when I take off. Could it possibly be the chain? It looks a little suspect.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had a similar problem in the past with a car (a 2010 Ford Fusion): noise while idling cold, then the noise would disappear once the engine wormed up.

The problem was a broken rubber engine bushing. With the engine expansion once it was warm the small gap left by the broken bushing was "occupied" and the engine fully touched/leaned on its support, removing the "tickling" opportunity generated by the engine vibration hitting the support without the bushing.

Could it be something similar on your bike? I don't know the ST's so not sure there are any bushed parts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts