Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I read through the forums and replaced the two relays under the seat,my problem being everything lights up when key is turned on kickstand up no fuel pump or starter, checked fuses the 3 amp right switch fuse was blown didn't have a 3 amp fuse on hand so put a 5 amp fuse in when i put the kickstand up the bikes systems clicked and buzzed so i shut it off, my question is aside from me being stupid and putting the 5 amp fuse in place of the 3 amp what might be causing my issue, i have all dash lights no starter or fuel pump.........help thanks

·
Registered
158 Posts
What kind of bike? Check your grounds. When you have a bad ecu or engine ground you will here the relays making crazy noises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jahjah

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Putting a larger fuse in does not create a problem. All that does is remove the protection that may have been set to protect a device or based upon the size of connecting wires. You might have a stalled out or shorted fuel pump. I would disconnect the fuel pump and see if the other weirdnesses go away before pulling it. And of course, follow Ductech's suggestion. BTW, if you refer to a fuse diagram, you will know a little more about what you are doing instead of blindly replacing fuses, especially with bigger ones.

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
If you blew the right switch fuse, I'd start looking for a wiring / short / corrosion problem in that circuit. That circuit includes the side stand relay, right switch itself and a few connectors. Ultimately, the circuit provides power to the ECU and fuel pump relay you replaced if all is well. There is also a inline 20A fuse for the fuel pump relay that can be a problem, but that wouldn't cause the 3A fuse to blow. Maybe the main fuse at the top of the fuse block, but not the right switch fuse.

Blowing a fuse indicates a large current draw beyond what the circuit is rated for. If the 5A fuse you used didn't blow, you likely don't have dead short somewhere, but there is still something pulling a heavier load.

I'd start by unplugging related connectors and checking for water or anything out of place. You have to look at the pins, of course, but also get inside the back shell looking for anything. Also look along the harness for places it may be chaffed or pinched and making contact with the chassis.

If you have the owner's manual, there is a fold out schematic at the back of it. Otherwise, look online. They used to be i the ST forum, but the Dropbox location they were being hosted is currently down.

Edit: Here's a link to a thread with the schematic hosted as a picture in post #7. http://www.ducati.ms/forums/56-superbikes/68237-2001-996-neutral-switch.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts