Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon lads,
Yesterday morning the weather was fine. at 8:30 I turn the key on, she fires right up, but I see no light. The low beam is gone, I switch to high beam, nothing. All I have are rear light and position lights. I flash (signal) and there is high beam flashing light. I decided to take my ride and when I came back, I checked fuses, bulbs, connectors and the left handlebar switch. Nothing seems to be wrong.
I'd appreciate if someone with circuitry knowledge, would tell me how could I measure with a multimetre if current goes through the switch to the bulbs, or any other suggestion.

Thanks
stelbo

·
Mr Leakered
8,824 Posts
I'm not sure if the flash to pass is on a different circuit, but there is a fuse under the left dash panel for the hi and lo beam. I'm not sure what model you have.

Have a good one.

·
Ducati Designs
1,124 Posts
Check the lighting relay (under nose fairing, near left side of headlight). It is triggered by the dash, so also check the big dash connector. Dashes have been known to fail as well, particularly if they get wet inside and corrode. The high-beam-flash is a separate circuit, bypasses the relay.

pg
DD

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you both very much. I will try to check tomorrow morning and let you know.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats an interesting MY as I thought 2005 was the latest for the 4s ??[/QUOTE]

The bike's first registration was in Feb 2006, so I call it MY 2006.

To come back to my ''issue'' I found the relay that PG talked about, and tomorrow i will try to check with someone capable if it's working or not. Any way I will buy one, I googled the part Nr and it's a Fiat Punto black relay 03-06 MY, Part Nr. 46520411 232006/12V 20A. I tried myself to check with a multimeter if it's good or not, but I didn't know what exactly I was doing. When I checked the connector that the relay is attached upon, the meter was showing 12.4-12.9V the value depending upon wether the Key was On or Off. When I touched all the points of the relay with the pins of the meter there was no indication at all. I guess that there has has to be some sort of electricity passing through the relay, to show some value.

·
Registered
8 Posts
To come back to my ''issue'' I found the relay that PG talked about, and tomorrow i will try to check with someone capable if it's working or not. Any way I will buy one, I googled the part Nr and it's a Fiat Punto black relay 03-06 MY, Part Nr. 46520411 232006/12V 20A. I tried myself to check with a multimeter if it's good or not, but I didn't know what exactly I was doing. When I checked the connector that the relay is attached upon, the meter was showing 12.4-12.9V the value depending upon wether the Key was On or Off. When I touched all the points of the relay with the pins of the meter there was no indication at all. I guess that there has has to be some sort of electricity passing through the relay, to show some value.
That relay is very common; any auto part store is likely to have them. It's a 4 pin micro relay. Wells Vehicle Electronics p/n 19378 is one example.

You can to a couple of things to test a relay. With a multimeter, you can test for continuity across the coil on the control side -- should be around 70 ohms for that relay.

If you have a 12V power source (say a motorcycle battery, or even a tender) you can put power across the control pins and listen for the clicking and then test for continuity across the power pins.

Or, hit your FLAPS and get a replacement. It costs about 10-12 bucks, and if that's not the problem, well, you have a spare for when it does fail. :)

Reto

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PG, what an accurate diagnosis. It was that relay, after all. I replaced it and everything is in order now.

Rali, thanks a lot for your idea, on how to check the relay. I hope that I won't need it in the future, but it's nice to know how to do it.

Thank you all for your contribution.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts