Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 1998 st2 after being without a running motorcycle since I left Japan in 1992. My last one was a European model CBX (no, not the six cylinder American model), a 750cc Honda imported back to Japan.

Looking forward to getting this beast running right!

Tom

·
Administrator
12,892 Posts
Hi and welcome to Ducati.ms. :)

Please fill in your location information in the UserCP Edit Your Details section then enjoy the site.

·
Registered
230 Posts

Just got mine back together after some high comps, new cylinder linings, valves, belts and some other jazz.

As I'm sure you are aware the '98 ST2 features a rare single-phase electrical system. I highly recommend installing a charge indicator light to keep an eye on things. When my Reg / Rec went I slapped on another that shortly failed thereafter. The fix was to do another R/R and the stator at the same time. I also upgraded the major wiring and relocated the R/R to the top of the radiator under the upper faring.

Once sorted they should be almost as reliable as any other system, but you won't want to run any farkles off your electrical system to be safe IMO.

Ducati realized the weakness of the single-phase and went to 3-phase the following year.

On the upside, you get the best color, and fully adjustable front and rear ends.

Enjoy!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts