Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took off this morning and found a half block from home that I had the error code "No Key" even though I had just started the bike and had the key in my pocket. I returned home and tried several times to start the bike but could only do so by using the pin code. I never saw a "Low Battery" message but went and bought a new battery anyway. The bike appears to work ok now. The keyless ignition continues to make me nervous. I would really prefer a key. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
You should be able to use the "passive" portion of the key by holding it right by the dash. My guess is the battery was just fine. I've had the same thing happen depending on the location of my cell phone. I had started the bike and then received the "no key" error. I pulled out the key and put it right by the dash and the error went away. I put the key back in my pocket and the error returned. I moved the key away from my cell phone and the problem went away.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The "No Key" error code has saved me more than once when I have left the key hanging out of the seat lock and ridden away. I do like the keyless ignition but do wish we had a backup ignition to insert the physical key just in case

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
When my key battery died recently, without a low batt warning, my fob was useless. I could use the red key pressed up to the front of the windscreen or the PIN to start the bike.

Then, with the new battery, I left the fob in the seat lock overnight. The next day the MTS wouldn't fire with the fob, after I took it out of the lock. This had never happened before with the old battery.

I started it with the PIN and rode. The next day, after the battery rested (?) it worked fine. None of this makes much sense to me. I guess it's better than if Lucas made Ducati electrics.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Strange timing for this post

My key just did the same thing today and I had to start it with the PIN. Thank God I remembered how to and what the PIN was. I assumed my key battery was dead but then it worked a few times after. Hmm. Maybe I should have the dealer replace the battery when it goes in for its 7500 mile this week.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Mine has given me a "no key" code since new, at times while under way .... never gave much though about it. Mind you, its only occurred about a dozen times .... and never stranded me -electronics ..?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I get the low battery warning once or twice a week, and have learned to ignore it. Doesn't seem to matter if it's a brand new battery or not. Shame really: a bit like "The boy who cried wolf". :think:

·
Registered
85 Posts
this a problem with your key, you should have it replaced

This low battery warning happened to me as well. Even within a day after replacing the battery. My dealer infromed that this was a common problem with the 1st sets of keys. My key was replaced and it never happened again for over a year. Then that key really died. Would not work as a passive or active key and again it was replaced under warranty.
So besides practicing the PIN start procedure (that is not hard but impossible to work out once stranded) you should get your key replaced.

·
Premium Member
12,415 Posts
I Like the old back up system...
Take a screwdriver and set it across a couple of terminals and with a few sparks it turns over and runs...
The good old days and then there were the kickstarts...or push starts...
Glad we have advanced to the electronic age???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts