Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

No horror movie has ever frightened me as much as this video

6K views 46 replies 28 participants last post by  Rainman 
#1 ·
This is so scary I can barely watch - 180+ MPH through the villages into the sun...
watch it full-screen

#6 ·
My mind cannot even comprehend the ability required to ride that fast, remember the course with unerring accuracy, going wfo when you can’t even see clearly. I kept watching the speedo rise and go blank over and over. How can he process the information at that speed , I can only be in total awe.

#8 ·
That's the 37.75 mile Isle of Man course.
Been there. Rode it.
It was scary at 30.

#9 · (Edited)
People have been critical of places like the IOM and Pikes Peak through out the years, but racing there is what life is all about for the folks that choose to compete. Man and machine vs the course and himself. Sometimes the results are tragic, but there isn't much you could say to those riders that would keep them away from racing there. Life to the fullest......and the footage is awesome!

#13 ·
by the rev's he's over 200mph a couple times... I wonder how the R would contrast to the S or Speciale at IoM.

wheelies over 170mph... shakes head.

A bike like that would be a complete waste for me - I'd never use more than 20% of it's capabilities. He was short shifting into second at 75mph... at around 11,500. I could ride anywhere in my state and get a 'take your license' level speeding ticket IN FIRST GEAR.

#15 ·
That's this guy:

He's competed at World Superbike level, GPs (before MotoGP) and BSB as well as Isle of Man. He's 47 years old now, and still faster than most. From his bio:
Michael is the son of 7 times Isle of Man TT winner and 4-times world champion in the TT Formula two series Tony Rutter.

Michael’s first year of racing was in 1989. Rutter has tried his hand at everything from short circuit racing to roads racing, British Superbikes to Grand Prix, he has done it all. Not only that he has also been pretty successful in whatever he’s turned his hand to.

Rutter has won the Isle of Man TT and Classic TT 5 and 2 times respectively.
Both Michael and Tony raced Ducatis and Michael is in the process of restoring of his dad's old Ducati race bike for the classic TT. There's a running story about it in the British bike magazine Practical Sportsbikes/Performance Bike.

As for the video.....yeah, scary. Quite so. Ever seen the "Black Prince" video? ZX-11 ride on the ring road around Paris, during rush hour. It's kinda ancient...I saw it in the UK back before there was such a thing as Youtube....or really, the internet as we know it.

#16 ·
Stupid fast for a std road bike.....

I've been to the TT and it was an amazing experience, nothing prepares you for the speed, we watched the superbike race from the end of Cronky Voddy straight and they tip into the corner WOT, MR on the Panigale rolled off, which makes sense on a road bike, some of the fast race bikes have more in suspension that that panigale is worth so....

Shame the whole lap isn't there, would love to see how far off the race pace he is on it, bet it's not that much, not many Ducatis survive the TT, an 888 finished third once, a supermono won once, that's about it i think....

#19 ·
Shame the whole lap isn't there, would love to see how far off the race pace he is on it, bet it's not that much, not many Ducatis survive the TT, an 888 finished third once, a supermono won once, that's about it i think....
One name. Mike Hailwood. 1978. Winner, Isle of Man TT. On a Ducati. ?

#25 ·
It’s really worth your time to watch this. It’s a live presentation which is meant as an introduction explaining how road racing works in that part of the world.

The guy doing the presentation is Dr. John Hinds, A.K.A. the “Flying doctor.” As he explains in the video, it’s difficult to get ambulances and/or helicopters into the terrain where these races take place, so they have small teams of first responders who ride sport bikes and carry their gear in backpacks. Check it out, it’s really fascinating stuff. If you’re not familiar with the Isle of Man TT or other motorcycle road races in the U.K. and Ireland, then this video does a good job of showing some aspects of the race scene you aren’t likely to see anywhere else.

Reactions: SO FUN and redpato
#26 · (Edited)
Now that you’ve watched the video above, follow it up with this one. As some of you are probably aware, Dr. Hinds was a much beloved figure in road racing and his passion for the sport was infectious. Tragically, he made his last ride a few years ago while doing the job he loved so much.

Road racing is a very old sport, and it‘s taken super seriously in that part of the world. And when I say seriously, I’m not just talking about the racers or race teams, this sport has very deep roots in the communities there, and whole towns close down for the racing season. Even the children are involved from a very early age as they still use old fashioned race boards instead of electronic billboards, and the children and local teachers keep these updated. The local medics and firefighters, like Dr. Hinds, do their part and ride along behind the racers. Like I said, they aren’t kidding around.

And yes, everyone is absolutely aware of exactly how dangerous road racing is. Hell, spectators are routinely injured or killed at these events! That’s all part of the mystique. If you can claim a MotoGP championship win, that’s awesome stuff and people will rightfully cheer you. But if you can claim a championship win at the Isle of Man TT or major Irish road races, then you‘ve joined a very small and elite group of people indeed.

RIP Doc.

#27 ·
Last year we went to Ireland to watch the Northwest 200. Such a great event, older than the IoMTT. The surrounding communities do get deeply involved. Neat to see the medics on bikes following the racers.

#29 ·
Note the box beneath the seat on his bike .... that's not the airbox ... that's not electronics ... that's where he stuffs his massive brass balls when he's on the bike .... otherwise he'd have to sit on his massive brass balls. What's that? Church bells in the distance? No ... that sound is his massive brass balls smacking into each other as he rides.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.