Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a ride today and was looking forward to it 'cos bike has been at mech. for ages having leaking seals and slave cyl. replaced.
30 mins. in to the ride and can't change gears so limped home in 3rd.
So looks like the gear selector spring. Damn well not happy; should of bought a Honda!

Good news is of course it's a cheap and easy fix. And I didn't really mean what I said about buying a Honda.

Cheers.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Blinkin' heck, GRSS, your Duc is certainly testing you! Be strong and don't mention the "H" word again...

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
G'day grrss

I've got a 64 Honda C72 Dream in the shed I'll swap you for the SS. :laugh: It gives me as much grief as the Ducati. The Honda has a flat battery at the moment and trying to find something suitable as an alternative is a hassle. The Suzuki I have is in the same state, flat battery, and the SS is STILL giving me grief. Coupled with all that I'm finding it hard to get into the shed to fix it all up. :crying:

I just gotta win lotto so that I can became a full-time back-yard mechanic. I keep looking at Katanas and tell myself I need another one of those again - well it never hurts to keep dreaming.

Good luck with that spring. When I had mine apart I actually found part of mine stuck in a crevice, so I guess mine has been replaced at some time.

Regards

Muddy

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha yeah Rob, it's certainly testing me, but I knew there were be some issues to sort when I purchased it, just because of age and mileage.

Muddy, I'll pass on that swap thanks :smile2:

It'll be fixed as soon as I can get it to mech. and he's ordering parts tomorrow.
Anyway checked the tea leaves this morning and they have assured me this is the last problem for a while.

Cheers.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey Muddy, GRSS

Looks like all three of us are out of action for one reason or another...
My reason is both cosmetic and physical. Had a low speed drop when I touched the front brake in gravel at the side of the road. Broke LH indicator, twisted clip-ons, broke clutch lever, scratched fairing and... scratched tank! As for me, I broke my collarbone. On the mend now and just starting to plan repaint of the SS.

Cheers

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ouch, broken collar bone from a low speed drop! You must have landed awkwardly. Gravel and front brake go together like oil and water, never good. But collar bones are generally fast to heal; I'm still healing 14 months after my smash, and may never heal completely according to ortho. surgeon.
Scratching the tank is a bummer but on the bright side you're gonna have a nice stone chip free paint job.

We'll all have to organise a ride one day later this year.

Cheers.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ouch, broken collar bone from a low speed drop! You must have landed awkwardly. Gravel and front brake go together like oil and water, never good. But collar bones are generally fast to heal; I'm still healing 14 months after my smash, and may never heal completely according to ortho. surgeon.
Scratching the tank is a bummer but on the bright side you're gonna have a nice stone chip free paint job.

We'll all have to organise a ride one day later this year.

Cheers.
Sounds like your incident was considerably worse than mine. Wait till you're old, there will be daily reminders, especially in winter, of your prior misjudgements...

Yep - when the stars all align and all three bikes and riders are up for it, let's do it.
Cheers

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Went for a ride today and was looking forward to it 'cos bike has been at mech. for ages having leaking seals and slave cyl. replaced.
30 mins. in to the ride and can't change gears so limped home in 3rd.
So looks like the gear selector spring. Damn well not happy; should of bought a Honda!

Good news is of course it's a cheap and easy fix. And I didn't really mean what I said about buying a Honda.

Cheers.
Look on the bright side - better than stuck in neutral.

Honda - I had a CBR250RR for a while and still wish I had not sold it.
For those unfamiliar with that model. 250cc, 4 valves per cylinder, circa 18,000 rpm screamer, supposedly 45 HP.
Lightweight and fun through the twisties.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Sounds like your incident was considerably worse than mine. Wait till you're old, there will be daily reminders, especially in winter, of your prior misjudgements...

Yep - when the stars all align and all three bikes and riders are up for it, let's do it.
Cheers
Hey Rob, really sorry to hear about this - hope you recover real well and real soon. We'll definitely take that ride someday.

Regards

Muddy

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Look on the bright side - better than stuck in neutral.

Honda - I had a CBR250RR for a while and still wish I had not sold it.
For those unfamiliar with that model. 250cc, 4 valves per cylinder, circa 18,000 rpm screamer, supposedly 45 HP.
Lightweight and fun through the twisties.
Wasn't one of these was it? :wink2:

Honda 250-350 Six-cylinder

Sound of 6 cyl Honda 250

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All sorted; easy fix. Mech. reckons a freak incident as he hasn't seen it before, in over 30 years.
A pin had snapped, not sure exactly what part but in the general area of the commonly breaking spring.

Cheers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts