Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 98 st2 with the gas pissing out the key hole condition. after searching the threads i find zero clicking when i close the cap no matter how hard i press. i will need to pull the cap, clean things up, clear the vent and lengthen the cap spring to get the click back. my question is in the parts break down there are no replaceable o rings or gaskets, so i do not need to order any parts? basically just break down the cap and reassemble, no parts required?

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
There are no replacement parts listed. You have to replace the whole cap. The black sealing/mating surface that fits up to the fuel tank is spring loaded and can become corroded and stick. My buddies super sport had the same problem. I would try some wd-40 on it before trying to disassemble it. If you do dissemble the cap be wary of a very small ball and spring that acts as a tension spring for when you flip the cover open. I all else fails I have a new replacement oem cap if needed. I have attached a couple of pictures.Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i suspected there was surprise waiting in ambush. wd-40 it is, thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
the wd40 got the cross bolt to fully extend. the gasket and spring move up and down but when i close the cap there is no resistance, so it seems like the gasket has taken a compression set and is no longer seating against the tank lip. unless i can find a way to add gasket material or extend the stop it looks like it might be time for a next cap.
edit: i found that by pressing down on the front of the tank cap with my thumbs after closing it, the cap will pop up when i turn the key to open. maybe it's fixed.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so i got the cap clicking when i close the cap but gas is still coming out the key hole. the main gasket is sealing. i took the 2 philips screws off and removed the top piece with the cross bolt. under that cover is a steel washer and below that is the o-ring that seals the key hole. anyone know what size it is or do i just bring it to the local bearing/seal supply house.

·
8,278 Posts
Dave
I have included a picture.
The arrow shows a spring loaded retainer that you compress to remove the lock. there are no seals in there, only lots of springs and such.
The other line shows the vent raceway integrated into the cap assembly.
I don't think that that is your problem, there must be a vent line pinched or clogged. I will remind you that I have a new stock cap with a key should you need it
Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
all the in tank hose was replaced by the dealer in july, i had them replaced since they were in there to do some recall work. during some hot weather. a few weeks ago, i filled the tank and the expansion caused gas to come out the overflow under the bike, so that is working. now when i shake the bike back and forth with a near full tank, gas comes out the key hole, nowhere else. the key seal is independent of the main tank cap seal, and extends deeper into the tank.

·
8,278 Posts
now when i shake the bike back and forth with a near full tank, gas comes out the key hole, nowhere else.
Well don't do that:D

Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i try to avoid bumps and keep the bike level but stuff keeps getting in the way and the fun factor disappears. it looks like you removed the seal around the swivel point for the key/cross bolt interface, i think that is where the leak is coming from, does the seal come out without destroying it?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the leak is for sure the key, i spayed some wd40 down the key slot with a paper towel below and the wd40 passed right through. further, i wiggle the key and get lots of movement at the lower pivot. i found a nylon washer in the junk box that is thicker than the stock washer and a slightly larger od. i packed the area where the seal meets the key pivot with silicone grease and pressed the nylon washer in the housing. put the cover for the cross bolt back on and no more leak. the thicker washer puts a load on the seal, so i no longer get a click when i press down on the cap, more like a thump, but no more leak when i shake the tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts