Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I bought an '04 999 with a full Termi exhaust and I'm going through inspection on the 26th. The fact that the catalytic converter has been eliminated raises concerns, has anyone passed or failed with a similar situation? I appreciate any input. I really don't want to go through inspection and fail or have to locate an OEM system, purchase and install, just to pass inspection.

-Jonathan

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
That is a bummer. CT does not do motorcycle emmisson testing. Interested to see a response from a NJ registered bike. I would think any full termi duc registered in NJ would make a good example. If you get no hits in the superbike area try a general question or in sports classic section.....termi's are pretty poplur their and maybe you can find a NJ owner. Might also want to call a NJ Ducati dealer and see what they say

·
Registered
790 Posts
Like State Inspection?
I've never been questioned riding around the bike without inspection and I have been pulled over a few times I'm also referring to my old bikes in a decade. I guess it's alright to have one though..
** personally, I wouldn't sweat it.
Cars are different story. Gotta have an inspection sticker.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm in Jersey too. I have to get mine inspected sometime next week but unfortunately I don't have a full system lol. Should they give you a hard time, and it really means that much to you, I know someone who can look the other way on emissions. :alien:

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
If you need an OEM system, I'll trade you... :D
Don't trade anything w/ this guy!:D.......we go riding together:)....I have a full on my 03' 999 and no problems here in PA. I would imagine if new emission standards go into effect to include MC we would still be OK!
Just don't go riding thru NY city!:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Can you ask the place you bought your bike (assuming its a dealership) to inspect it (also assuming they are an inspection center).
My dealer (Cross country in Metuchen) is an Inspection Center and I have full termis, no cats etc.
I don't see a problem come inspection time.
Some HD dealers (Edison HD is one) are also state inspection centers and you could try there even if you have to pay for it. At least they most likely will pass you.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Hey folks,

I bought an '04 999 with a full Termi exhaust and I'm going through inspection on the 26th. The fact that the catalytic converter has been eliminated raises concerns, has anyone passed or failed with a similar situation? I appreciate any input. I really don't want to go through inspection and fail or have to locate an OEM system, purchase and install, just to pass inspection.

-Jonathan
Question: Do motorcycles go thru the inspection "station" as the cars go thru?? or do you have to take a bike to a dealer. I think you go thru a "station"' 'right ?....also be sure you're helmet is in order, if I remember correctly in NJ they check those too for DOT and SNELL stickers believe it or not!:eek:
The reason for the "station" Q is here in PA we take our cars and bikes to an approved PENDOT inspection location which could be a auto, bike dealership as well as a private garage /service station.

·
Registered
790 Posts
(Not sure about new bikes.) In NJ they check your blinkers/headlights/brake lights (rear and front) That's it.
Done on the side of the station under a tree..I've done it many times on my used bikes, but I usually don't bother. . . Like I said before, the Police never or haven't yet in a decade have asked me where my inspection sticker was during the times I've been stopped. Again, I guess it's good to have, unless it's so much of a hassle.. On a car, has to be done no matter of the hassle.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the stock system as well as the pipe and slipon that comes with the 999R as well as the stork R as well as race ecu.

PM me if interested

·
Registered
40 Posts
on second thought, i have never taken a motorcycle through inspection in NJ, I've never been hassled by cops or even asked bike has been inspected.

I really dont think you need it in NJ.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Full Termi'd NJ inspection question

I appreciate the responses. I've talked to a couple people at work and they're convinced that I shouldn't have any trouble even with a fairly bald rear tire. We'll see, I also wanted to make special mention of the offer to trade a full stock system for a full Termignoni. The bike was purchased out of state and I worked in auto dealerships for most of my adult life. Times are tough and I'll take my chances with Parson's inspection stations. Push come to shove, I'll flash some skin. Thanks again -Nahtanoj

·
Registered
78 Posts
F#&K inspection! Ride that bitch. They're not going to inspect it better than I can. Besides, The bike was designed to pass EURO III emissions (I think) which wasn't required here anyway. I'm in 'Jersey too (unfortunately) and have never inspected my '06 999. Although, it has become more of a track bike than a road bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Full Termi'd NJ inspection question

I'm pretty sure the race ECU wasn't meant to pass any kind of emission standard. I have been riding it, mainly brief jaunts on the cusp of nighfall. My main concern is the giant red bike with the loud exhaust burning up the backroads of a rural one horse town might attract the attention of Johnny Law. -Nahtanoj

·
MR. Twill
325 Posts
i have a dealer right near me who ower me favors and gives me all my stickers for $20 each

don't be sill and semantical just take it to a dealer as they don't do emissions or exhaust testing, lights and horn and 1 left hand mirror

1 - 15 of 15 Posts