Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my first ducati. So I'm new to the Forum. It's a 2008 hypermotard 1100s that just rolled 8000 miles. I prefer to do all service myself so I went over the bike and replaced all the basics. Air filter. Spark plugs. Chain and sprockets. Tires. Both timing belts. Battery. Ect. I was doing a routine oil change when I noticed small nickle sized bits of metal magnetized to the drain plug. Any suggestions to what these might be? Shes benched until I have a better idea of what I'm dealing with. I attached a picture. Thanks all!
Wood Grey Beige Font Pattern

·
Registered
767 Posts
Agreed
I'm assuming it's magnetic & very hard.....Can you put a dent in it with a pair of ***** you know side cutter pliers? If you can't put a good mark in it that's definatly hardend spring steel from your shift spring

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was able to make a small mark about half way around the ring. More of a scratch than anything. And yes. It is magnetic. What could cause a catastrophic failure like that? Didnt seem to affect shifting at all. I was worried it was a piston circlip. I'll crack open the clutch housing tonight and see if I can find the culprit. Much appreciated.

Gold Amber Wood Flooring Floor

·
Registered
872 Posts
It's an early design flaw perpetuated in every Ducati that uses it....you want to remove the other side cover... opposite of clutch basket...

·
Registered
375 Posts
Nice thing is you don’t have to split the cases! New gasket and a spring will get you rolling again!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Screw the gasket use yamabond #4 hylamar sealer

Or if your feeling rich buy Ducabond (it's the same shit just expensive)

Reactions: DarrellF

·
Registered
650 Posts

Or if your feeling rich buy Ducabond (it's the same shit just expensive)
Yamabond is pretty awesome. Used it on a jetski motor I rebuilt. Used my vacuum tester to make sure it held pressure and forgot about it for a few hours. Held pressure like no-bodies business.

·
Premium Member
2,926 Posts
I use the ThreeBond that is the exact same thing as DucatiBond, ---The number is TB1215

Reactions: chris_f

·
Registered
767 Posts
All the above work perfectly & the best part is when you take it apart next time.....and you will it cleans off with a rag & lacquer thinner in minuites NO MORE RAZOR BLADE NICKS just apply liberally to a clean cotton cloth lay it on your gasket surface & leave it for 10 or so minutes then wipe repeat as necessary.

BTW it works absolutly great on pipe threads and a hellovalot better than Teflon tape

·
Registered
872 Posts
This should have been a recall...it's painfully obvious that the spring will rub itself in half...any bike with the old style spring is vulnerable...

·
Registered
403 Posts
What are the symptoms of this spring being broken (other than finding parts of it) - OP states that the bike seemed to run and shift fine.
What years of bike had this design spring - would by 2010 848 likely have it?
Not terribly concerned - it seems to shift fine, and haven't found any pieces in any oil change (or when I've had the side cover off multiple times to replace stators) - just mildly curious...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My local Ducati shop had the parts. The mechanic said its a common issue and gave me an updated spring? I guess there was a recall on it. Gonna switch them out this evening. Got Threebond to reseal. The only symptoms I have is the bike likes to drop into neutral when shifting from 1st to 2nd and vice versa.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
What are the symptoms of this spring being broken (other than finding parts of it) - OP states that the bike seemed to run and shift fine.
What years of bike had this design spring - would by 2010 848 likely have it?
Yes you have same shifter. Can be symptom free or you may get a stuck shifter.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had the experience that the change from sealant <-> gasket changes the position of the camshaft sensor aka pickup. Had to re-shim mine.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Got her cracked open. And it was indeed the return spring. My only problem now is properly adjusting the fork for smooth shifting. Is there a trick to it?
Prior discussion of topic and tool, best of luck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts