Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got pulled today by Plod for.......
My number Plate not being readable at 20m......:D

I passed him/it,doing 60mph in the opposite direction in a national speed limit zone,he must have spun the pigmobile around and given High-Speed pursuit so that he could caution me for the life-threatening offence of "Number plate at the wrong angle Sir " :eek:
I really think that the psychological tests to become a policeman should be reviewed if this is the type of offence they're pursuing.or perhaps they're being instructed by accountants??
I hope the force gives it a commendation......;)
Asshole of the Month Award....

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
hahahaha!!,, sorry to hear the story, and I agree with you,, I'm sure you were endangering somebody's life though. Probably the copper's :), by envy in the library.

I have to say I am glad the US has small number plates and knocking on wood, I hope it stays that way.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I got pulled today by Plod for.......
My number Plate not being readable at 20m......:D

I passed him/it,doing 60mph in the opposite direction in a national speed limit zone,he must have spun the pigmobile around and given High-Speed pursuit so that he could caution me for the life-threatening offence of "Number plate at the wrong angle Sir " :eek:
I really tink that the psychological tests to become a policeman should be reviewed if this is the type of offence they're pursuing.
I hope the force gives it a commendation......;)
Asshole of the Month Award....

You know it amazes me when someone breaks the law or modifies something on their vehicle, they know its illegal and yet they never take responsibility for it when they get caught. Don't act like a victim man, just man up and take the hit, pay the fine and move on. Its not his fault for doing his job. He doesn't make the laws. It really just makes you look like the "Asshole of the month." IMHO.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You know it amazes me when someone violates a vehicle code or modifies something on their vehicle, they know its illegal and yet they never take responsibility for it when they get caught. Don't act like a victim man, just man up take the hit, pay the fine and move on. Its not his fault for doing his job. It really just makes you look like the "Asshole of the month." IMHO.

That's what Goebbols said "just following orders,Dude.But at least he had the decency to poison himself with cyanide.:eek:

I ain't acting like a victim ,man,:cool:
I just find it rather a petty thing to be bothering with,don't you??:confused:
Isn't there more important 5h1t in the world going on?:confused:
They're just tax collectors with stripes.:mad:
I don't have a problem with most police,just the officious ones,this is the thin end of the wedge,man, and if we let them cajole us into accepting the minutia ,where will it end????:mad:
A long,gradual wearing down of the populations independance,but I guess as a Yank ,you'd know that??:eek:
ps.I'm contesting it.:abduct:

·
Registered
465 Posts
That's what Goebols said "just following orders,Dude.

I ain't acting like a victim ,man,
I just find it rather a petty thing to be bothering with.
Isn't there more important 5h1t in the world going on?
They're just tax collectors with stripes.
I don't have a problem with most police,just the officious ones,this is the thin end of the wedge,dude, and if we let them cajole us into acceoting the minutia ,where will it end????
I agree, its petty but it is what it is, just a fix it ticket, not really that big of a deal.

And that "officious" officer could be the coolest guy in the world (I know a lot of them) when not "doing his job." The fact is you just don't like that he gave you a ticket. If he had warned you, you'd be on here saying how cool he was.

Anyway, good luck with the fight.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I agree, its petty but it is what it is, just a fix it ticket, not really that big of a deal.

And that "officious" officer could be the coolest guy in the world (I know a lot of them) when not "doing his job." The fact is you just don't like that he gave you a ticket. If he had warned you, you'd be on here saying how cool he was.

Anyway, good luck with the fight.
No diss, but I bet he lives for this kind of 5h1t!!He's probably at home now masturbating over his tickets.:eek:
He probably even sleeps in his car cause he likes the smell of sweaty victims.
Let's face it ,Traffic Cops are even despised by the REAL CRIMEFIGHTERS.

All he had to say was.."Get it Sorted" then he would have earned my respect,not my dissdain.:sleep:It's not about the crime,it's about the generation of cash.Probably on dble time 2day he was assigned to make a number of "kills" so that the force don't go into the RED.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have a buddy thats a cop and he doesn't write hardly any tickets. He says that it sucks that their required to because thats the only reason people hate the Police. If all they did was come save you when you were being raped or robbed then everyone would love them, like the Firefighters.

In the end, seems you were lucky that you were doing the speed limit and didn't get shagged for something serious.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
May be he pulled you over to take a better look at your bike...........:D
Yeh,I can see where you're coming from there Big L.;)

Probably cos he couldn't get close enough through the traffic or get a "lock on me with the Radar"when he was chasing me:D

I Feel the Need.......

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a buddy thats a cop and he doesn't write hardly any tickets.

In the end, seems you were lucky that you were doing the speed limit and didn't get shagged for something serious.
That's because they have"Descretion"
This one didn't use it...:mad:
I got nicked a couple of years ago for a small plate,fair enough,hands up, take the pain...
but,"The Wrong Angle."
I'm not letting this one go boys......
Pride cometh Before a Fall.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
That's what Goebbols said "just following orders,Dude.But at least he had the decency to poison himself with cyanide.:eek:
Actually, Goebbels was amongst those giving the orders.

You'll lose.

The following is an extract from the UK regulations on this very matter, Paras 5 (Sub paras 5a, 5b) & 6 are the relevant ones in your case.

Statutory Instrument 2001 No. 561
The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001

Fixing of rear registration plates: vehicles registered on or after the relevant date
5. - (1) This regulation applies to vehicles, other than works trucks, road rollers and agricultural machines, first registered on or after the relevant date.

(2) A registration plate must be fixed on the rear of -

(a) the vehicle, or

(b) where the vehicle is towing a trailer, the trailer, or

(c) where the vehicle is towing more than one trailer, the rearmost trailer.

(3) Where a vehicle (or, in a case where the plate is required to be fixed on a trailer, that trailer) has been constructed so as to satisfy the requirements of the relevant type-approval directive, whether or not it is required by law to satisfy them, the plate may be fixed in the space provided in accordance with those requirements but if it is not so fixed it must be fixed in the manner required by paragraph (5).

(4) Except as provided in paragraph (3) the plate must be fixed in the manner required by paragraph (5).

(5) This paragraph requires the plate to be fixed -

(a) vertically or, where that is not reasonably practicable, in a position as close to the vertical as is reasonably practicable, and

(b) in such a position that in normal daylight the characters of the registration mark are easily distinguishable from every part of a relevant area having the diagonal length specified in paragraph (6).

(6) The diagonal length of the relevant area is -

(a) in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is at least 57 millimetres, 22 metres,

(b) in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is 50 millimetres, 21.5 metres,

(c) in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is 44 millimetres, 18 metres.

·
1,642 Posts
you know I have to agree with hedetrimmer on this one. That law seems a bit,,, power wanting. I mean when you think about it, the reason they probably have that law is because they need to be able to identify you when driving down the road, so they can do stuff like check to see if it's stolen bike, or report you when you are running from them, or to just mail you a ticket when they see you break a law and can't chase you down
.. really it's something I would have a hard time classifying as a "fix it ticket" because those types of tickets came from being pulled over for a faulty head light or motor that smokes too much,, or some other problem with your vehicle that may actually cause it to operate in an unsafe manner,, IE it may cause you to be a problem to OTHER motorists, and the ticket helps protect people from unsafe vehicles.
That law seems to have been written purely for the sake of the law enforcement. So they are giving a guy a ticket for not having his papers in order.. set up a road block and you have a police state.. and that's just an abuse of power if you ask me.
Police should be there to help you when you need it and to keep real problem causers at bay. not to persecute the average joe for ,, having his plate at too acute an angle.

Also, Tickets are not why I tend to mistrust the police. Actually I reserve judgment until I see something they do, but they are going to constantly be judged in my eyes. I have seen too many times when they are just getting their power on, to trust all of them without question.
I think a lot of them are nice people, I have a friend or two that are police, and they are nice too, but so is everybody in the right situation.
When I see an officer practice discretion in their actions, It gains my respect. If they write me a ticket for 20 over or for running a stop sign,, I don't hate them, I just think "damn they caught me!" I have a hard time not laughing sometimes. But when the officer holds me for 30 minutes convincing me that I have the right to say 'no' to his wanting to search my vehicle and explaining my rights to me and asking me why I'm saying "no", when it "just won't take that long", that's an abuse of power. Once a female cop asked an overweight female friend of mine "how much do you weigh?" .. it wasn't a relevant question. it was asinine and it gives other officers a bad name. At the end of the day, I think many cops (at least here in the states) need to reevaluate their role in society, the people aren't their enemy and shouldn't be treated as such. I understand they are 'doing their job' but I've read the job description.

What you SHOULD have done is walk the officer 20m back and say .."ok now read the first line for me please" of course he may have billy clubbed your smart *ss :)

·
1,642 Posts
Actually, Goebbels was amongst those giving the orders.

(5) This paragraph requires the plate to be fixed -

(a) vertically or, where that is not reasonably practicable, in a position as close to the vertical as is reasonably practicable, and

(b) in such a position that in normal daylight the characters of the registration mark are easily distinguishable from every part of a relevant area having the diagonal length specified in paragraph (6).

(6) The diagonal length of the relevant area is -

(a) in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is at least 57 millimetres, 22 metres,

(b) in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is 50 millimetres, 21.5 metres,

(c) in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is 44 millimetres, 18 metres.
Use this as your arguement, Say that reasonably to prevent interference with the wheel of your vehicle you had to tilt it up a little to keep the plate from being damaged when the suspension is at full travel... you could have a chance

·
Registered
465 Posts
Use this as your arguement, Say that reasonably to prevent interference with the wheel of your vehicle you had to tilt it up a little to keep the plate from being damaged when the suspension is at full travel... you could have a chance
This will not work. The very act of modifying it is what caused the so called "need" to tilt it. There is no GOOD excuse for modifying the stock location. In fact I can almost guarentee your wasting your time contesting it at all.

That being said, this is the first mod I will do when I receive mine! :D

·
Registered
395 Posts
I think its only fair- you made him cream his pants over your bike, and he sent you home with a bullshit ticket. :D

I'm not being even remotely helpful here am I? :think:

·
Registered
90 Posts
This is interesting. In Australia,your plate had to be at an angle, but the issue with yours would be that the Australian law dictates that the fender has to extend to the same length as the wheels. Something like that.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Good Deed

Thank you all for your thoughts on this one.:)

Yes,I know I'm not gonna beat it,but I just thought I'd make him do some work for his wages and watch him squirm a bit surrounded,as he was by the bad bikers congregated at the spot where he stopped me.:mad:
Now he'll have to do all the paperwork etc to put a case together.:D

If you just let them issue you a ticket cos "it's easier" you are definately sending the wrong signal to the law enforcement community.That we, the public will just accept these fines for minor infractions of the law without question because the more we allow them to get away with,the more they will do it.

"The More Laws,The LESS Justice"

Marcus Tullius Cicero Ancient Roman Lawyer, Writer, Scholar, Orator and Statesman, 106 BC-43 BC

By doing this I feel that I kept him off the road for half an hour so my other biker brothers could roam free without hindrence...:rolleyes:

My Good Deed for the Day,if you will.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Face the facts, Trimmer. You're an incorrigible scofflaw. Frist the license plate then soon you'll be doing wheelies and doubling the speed limit. That will lead to rape, robbery and mayhem. Unless you repent, you are doomed for prison. :D

Seriously, you are going to fight this ticket because you want to hassle him? He gets paid for going to court and you'll be the one paying him. In the States, you end up paying more when you lose the case, instead of just paying the ticket.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts