Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone put this on a GT1000???
My friend had one on his monster w/DS1000 Dry clutch motor, but said he needed to keep the RPMs up around 4500 for the bike to be happy. So, he took it off, and now I can pick it up if I want too.
Maybe with my lower gearing (14:40) it will work out better than on his monster.
I don't want to have to do all that work and then have to take it back off...
Any Ideas/suggestions.
My bike is awesome now, just put on a K&N too....

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Sorry, no first hand experience, but my mechanic advised against the Nichols flywheel on a street bike for the above reason. The Duc Shop, and I'm sure many other places, can mill out your stock flywheel, significantly reducing the weight, but not as much as the Nichols flywheel, providing a more happy medium.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I installed a Yoyodyne flywheel on an SS (heavier than the Nichols but lighter than the DP unit I think).

Personally, I think this mod is over-rated. People talk about the engine "spinning up" quicker, which is true and is the biggest change you will notice, but really only under no load (e.g., blipping for a downshift). It also reduces engine braking so you are less likely to lock the tire when downshifting aggressively - maybe - depends how you ride. Revs also fall quicker between shifts so that is kind of double-edged sword.

Yes, the bike will accelerate a little bit faster in first gear (you may or may not notice the difference - it is small), and that difference is progessively smaller in higher gears in proportion to the change in gearing. You will also notice a slight handling benefit (quicker turn-in) in situations where the motor is spinning at high rpm. Again, these are all small changes. And, they are smaller on the DS1000 than on some earlier 2V motors because rotational mass was already cut back a bit with lighter cutch basket etc.

So, whether it is a worthwhile mod or not depends on personal taste and riding style. Personally, I wouldn't do it again. YMMV.

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
I went with a Nichols flywheel on my `93 SS - a bike with a heavier stock flywheel - and found the change valuable, but not without some cost in ridability. (See review here: www.duc.bz/DUC_Tests_NicholsFlywheel.htm )

For my own needs the change would be less desirable on the GT, where flexibility is often listed as among the bike's most desirable assets.

-don

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
What kind of riding do you do? If you spend most of your time in town having to deal with a lot of stop and go traffic, you might not like the lighter flywheel. If you do most of your riding in lightly traveled areas and don't have to mess with stop-and-go traffic, you'd probably love it.

Some people complain that motors with lightened flywheels, crankshafts, etc., tend to stall easily in traffic. I haven't really had that problem with my bike other than during the first few minutes after I start it up. During those first few minutes when it's warming up, I have to blip the throttle a bit to keep the motor lit. After it's warm, it's not a problem.

Things I've lightened on my motor include the crankshaft, the flywheel, and the clutch. I just got my bike back from having it serviced at 35K miles. I purchased it in May '06. It's spent at least 8 months of its life in the shop being modded/hot rodded. I ride it a lot. Some people will describe the changes that these modifications make as minor and difficult to notice. Perhaps it's because I spend as much time as I do on my bike, but the changes that these modifications made to my bike's performance and handling were quite noticeable. I love the way the motor spins up and how much easier it is to turn it into a corner, but I seldom have to mess with much traffic. The vast majority of my riding is in low traffic areas, or in high traffic areas at low volume times of the day.

Anyone put this on a GT1000???
My friend had one on his monster w/DS1000 Dry clutch motor, but said he needed to keep the RPMs up around 4500 for the bike to be happy. So, he took it off, and now I can pick it up if I want too.
Maybe with my lower gearing (14:40) it will work out better than on his monster.
I don't want to have to do all that work and then have to take it back off...
Any Ideas/suggestions.
My bike is awesome now, just put on a K&N too....

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Ducshop suggested against installing this on an air-cooled engine due to the nature of it's power delivery. Since all the power is produced lower in the rpm band.. you don't want the revs spinning up faster or you would find yourself at the limiter all the time. Having said that.. ducshop has a milled flywheel in their shop for sale.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Ducshop suggested against installing this on an air-cooled engine due to the nature of it's power delivery. Since all the power is produced lower in the rpm band.. you don't want the revs spinning up faster or you would find yourself at the limiter all the time. Having said that.. ducshop has a milled flywheel in their shop for sale.

Sorry, if they said that, it makes no sense at all, at least as written. Of course you want the engine "spinning up faster" - that is exactly what is accomplished when you increase hp. The *potential* to hit the rev limiter sooner is the goal of practically every engine mod. The engine can't increase its revs any faster than the rear wheel, so there is no such thing as an engine "spinning up faster" (in gear) unless it is tied to improved acceleration.

Maybe what they meant was that the lower to middle part of the rev range is where the bike works best, and so mods that have most of their benefit only at high rpm are not so helpful? Especially if they sacrifice any low-rpm drivability? That would be a sensible comment. Although, I agree with Dr. D - if the bike is in a decent state of tune, reducing flywheel weight on a 2V Ducati does not necessarily lead to stalling or other drivability issues.

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
Sorry, if they said that, it makes no sense at all
IMO it does. Not, as you note, with the bike in gear, but between gears where having a light flywheel makes the revs zip quickly and thus making smooth low-powered transitions require greater care.

Just the thing for fast acceleration, just not the thing for when you are in heavy traffic, on a poor surface such as my own crushed stone driveway, or if you don't want the turtles kissing when you have a passenger on board.

-don

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it was clear as mud... but it covered the ground

Thanks for all the tips, comments etc even the debate... but I'm left thinking....Why Bother?
BTW that's my 12 year old son on the Supersport with the slippas on...
He's huge; but we ride together on my GT and the thing is still almost as fast with him or without him.... the thing is a torque monster! with the 14: 40 gears it gets to 100mph so fast and you can't even open the throttle all the way in first or second gear without pulling the front end right off the ground... it is scary fast.

I wouldn't want to change that!:abduct::abduct::abduct::abduct::abduct::abduct:

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Been happy with the Nichols on a 08 1000S. Liked the lighter, faster, throttle response, works well with the Wasp kit and slipper clutch - not too touchy at low revs - maybe a little in situations such as starting off upslope.

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
I put it on my GT-1000 and love it and would never take it off. For me the bike starts easier, idles better, pulls harder. I dont feel there was a single negative. I am coming off an 848 so my opinion might be swayed, but it definitely made me happy and gave up a little of that "scooter" feel to the GT

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Thanks for all the tips, comments etc even the debate... but I'm left thinking....Why Bother?
Man, I don't want to come off like I'm trying to twist your arm into making a change that you might not like, but I love what lightening rotating mass has done for my bike. One of the bonuses that I don't think we mentioned yet is the positive impact that it had on shifting. My bike started out shifting really well. After losing a significant amount of rotating mass, it became silky smooth. Is there someone near you that's done the conversion that could let you ride his/her bike? IMHO, you owe it to yourself to try a bike that's been converted before you walk away from a relatively inexpensive mod that can have a nice impact on several aspects of your bike's performance.

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
well, I'm not sure what to say. I hope I haven't misrepresented Mark's opinion at Ducshop... and the only thing that has been stopping me from trying this mod is the install/labor costs which I imagine are pretty big. This is probably the last engine/powertrain related mod I could do to my hyper, so curious to hear more opinions.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
The install is not that big a deal if you know a few tricks. The hardest part is often removing the big nut that holds the flywheel on - it's pretty tight, and it's hard not to just turn the engine, even with it in gear and someone standing on the rear brake. Of course there is a "special tool" you can buy, but the easy way is to just stick a penny in the timing gears to jam the motor. Sounds brutal and crude I know, but it works and does not do any damage.

The hardest part is really just putting the gasket goo back on the side cover and getting it buttoned back up again. No big deal.

All that said, I did manage to f*** this job up when I did it on my 750SS. There is a big flat washer that goes behind the flywheel that can slip out of place during assembly - you need to stick it in place with a dab of grease, and then be careful not to dislodge it. I messed that up, and my motor eventually consumed that washer. I found it in about 8 pieces stuck to the sump magnet. No major damage, but could have been worse! Not sure if that washer is the same in the DS1000 motor.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is good

Thanks for continuing to weigh in, cuz SURE I want too !!
No ones twisting any arms LOL. I'm a big boy and I appreciate the input.
I do my own wrenching and I can get the flywheel for free.
:think::think:
So...I guess I should "just do it" and post back to give my own opinion....
but I'm liking the discussion.

This forum is more active than most others like the Supersport you guys are great
We do love our SCs

1 - 20 of 24 Posts