Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering Nichols flywheel for my Hyper (I already have the termi slip on exhaust).

What are pros and cons of having a lighter flywheel?

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
If you do a search you will find that your question has been answered many times over.

I love mine. :D

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys! I searched the forum and I actually found many useful answers. Glad to hear you guys are happy with Nichols flywheel! I'll go talk to these guys today and see if I can get one.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Nichols has good knowledgeable people and they make a quality item. I love my Nichols flywheel. Be sure to get their flywheel nut as the stock one is questionable. If you go in take a look at some of the damaged engine parts from the stock nuts coming loose. When it comes time for my major service I am taking my Hyper to them for the work.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
francesco ... everyone likes nichols, and their flywheels are great ... but not for everyone's riding style.

ciao a presto fratello.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
What do you mean not for everyone's riding style?
  • not everyone likes a motor with faster spin-up into the power-band.
  • not everyone likes a bike that accelerates quicker.
  • not everyone likes a bike that has less gyroscopic effect from the flywheel, so it turns in faster.

if your one of those people, then don't install a nichols flywheel.

if you like the above listed effects, then install a nichols flywheel.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I haven't found one negative about my light flywheel. Only very fun positives!

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
  • not everyone likes a bike that has less gyroscopic effect from the flywheel, so it turns in faster.

-more chatter in the already rough drive train when feathering clutch+throttle at low speeds
-inability to maintain idle on cold startup

+revs up faster: goes vroom vroom rather than varoooooom varooom
+more responsive at any rpm
+when the bike is moving the first two negatives don't apply

·
Registered
85 Posts
-more chatter in the already rough drive train when feathering clutch+throttle at low speeds

What about the increased engine braking upon closing the throttle? From what I've read, with the Nichols flywheel, it's quite drastic. I guess a slipper might help. I'd really like to know from someone who's tried several to get a better understanding.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I was afraid 9 ounces would be too light, so for a less dramatic change, I didn't get the Nichols. By the advice of a mechanic at PI, and also in respect to the Evos flywheel weight, I had the stock flywheel shaven down (at Dad's shop, not Ducshop) to 2.5 pounds. Now, the bike leans over quicker/smoother/easier, and while cornering, the bike feels optimally nimble and more apt to Mi command. Response/engine braking feels "proper" ;D ... Idle/low-rpm handling I found unperturbed.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts

Hahahaha....well put and oddly true

Dave

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
the idle issue is a symptom of a combination of throttle bodies and air bleed screws not adjusted properly. get them adjusted, and the cold idle will not be an issue.

don't know about the chatter in drive train being a negative ... most owners like clutch chatter noise :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,721 Posts

Do you have one???

Because the rest of us that have answered this question actually do so I guess I was just trying to qualify your response.

So???

Dave

1 - 20 of 47 Posts