Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After thinking about it for about 2 years, I finally bought a Nichols flywheel for my 1997 SS/SP. It came yesterday and it's now installed. Very well made and not too hard to install. Pretty good instructions (only a couple of mistakes in the instructions). I tried it out, and while the warning in the instructions about being careful of wheelieing may have been exaggerated a bit, the bike definitely pulls harder and the front end gets light at about 5000rpms in 1st-3rd gears (and that's at 6000' elevation). It also flicks from side to side more easily. I'm happy with it :).
Joe

·
Registered
176 Posts
Congrats on the upgrade. I did the same with my 750 sport - waited a couple of years trying to decide. It ended up being the best bang for the buck. Got the same improvements that you reported. The only down side is that when the battery gets a little low on charge, it's harder to start in the morning. Not a big deal, though. I just charge the battery with a Battery Tender and it clears up the cold starts.

·
Registered
825 Posts
My 900SS has a lightened flywheel, a lightened crank, a lightweight clutch & titanium rods. If you whack it open in first gear, you best be ready to make a quick decision! It's fu%#*n insane. Oh yeah, Marvic magnesium wheels help too!
Gregg

·
Registered
123 Posts
joe b what where the mistakes in the instructions I just order 1 today for my 91 900ss does it have any low speed effects or extra vibration. I'm in the process of doing valve job and 11:1 je pistons and dyna coils and ignition tech sparker4. I do not have fcr carbs yet I wanted to ride it to see performance difference before fcr carbs my cv carbs have a factory pro jet kit installed

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
joe b what where the mistakes in the instructions I just order 1 today for my 91 900ss does it have any low speed effects or extra vibration. I'm in the process of doing valve job and 11:1 je pistons and dyna coils and ignition tech sparker4. I do not have fcr carbs yet I wanted to ride it to see performance difference before fcr carbs my cv carbs have a factory pro jet kit installed
There may be a bit more vibration but it's hard to tell. Somewhat easier to stall when letting the clutch out in first gear, but I just give it a little more RPMs.
3 mistakes in directions:
1. The directions to replace the 2 allen head screws holding the alternator stator in the side cover, with their included replacements, were given twice, in Steps 15 & 17 (no big deal).
2. It's easier to remove the inductive pickup backing plate with the pickups still attached, instead of removing the 2 pickups from the backing plate. This also makes resetting their gap easier when you reinstall them.
3. In Step 11, it says to remove the dowel pin that orients the flywheel to its steel center piece. If you try to press the dowel out the wrong way, it will break its retaining clip, which is hidden from view when you try to press it out. It's easier and safer to just tap the splined steel center piece out of the flywheel after the 7 allen head screws that hold the two together have been removed, and leave the dowel alone.
I also found that I was able to remove the flywheel retaining nut from the end of the crankshaft by doing as the Haynes manual says, which is to put the bike in 6th gear and hold the rear brake while unscrewing it (no impact wrench was needed).

I also have Marvic mag wheels, 11:1 pistons and Keihin FCRs. Wheelies in first gear are just a twist away :D. In fact, I think I will go back to 15/37 sprockets when I wear my chain out (I now have 15/39). I still maintain that the FCRs are the biggest bang for the buck, way better than even properly jetted Mikunis.
Joe

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
My 900SS has a lightened flywheel, a lightened crank, a lightweight clutch & titanium rods. If you whack it open in first gear, you best be ready to make a quick decision! It's fu%#*n insane. Oh yeah, Marvic magnesium wheels help too!
Gregg
Gregg,

Have you got the Superlight Marvic wheels, the 2-piece ones? Joe-B, you've got these too? I bought a set myself for my '93, and they should be finished (being repainted and polished) next week. I'm really curious about what to expect with these wheel on my bike, which has 41 FCR's and Dynacoils. My mechanic has the heads off due to the dreaded broken head stud, and I just got the new studs and a bunch of other parts (new tensioner bearings, o-rings and gaskets) and he should have it done in a couple more weeks.

·
Registered
158 Posts
greggkirby

SWWWEEETTT belt covers.. DIYs or did you buy em? I'm looking to replace just my upper since I run full fairs....

·
Registered
825 Posts
They're from.............

greggkirby

SWWWEEETTT belt covers.. DIYs or did you buy em? I'm looking to replace just my upper since I run full fairs....
...........LT Snyder/Desmotimes.
Gregg

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gregg,

Have you got the Superlight Marvic wheels, the 2-piece ones? Joe-B, you've got these too? I bought a set myself for my '93, and they should be finished (being repainted and polished) next week. I'm really curious about what to expect with these wheel on my bike, which has 41 FCR's and Dynacoils. My mechanic has the heads off due to the dreaded broken head stud, and I just got the new studs and a bunch of other parts (new tensioner bearings, o-rings and gaskets) and he should have it done in a couple more weeks.
My Marvics are Penta 1s (aftermarket) bought from Yoyodyne. They make a big difference in acceleration, suspension response and speed of turning. Great modification.
Joe

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
...........LT Snyder/Desmotimes.
Gregg
He doesn't do those any more I believe. I see you have a JMC swing arm though. I just installed one on my bike, but I have the regular chain tension adjusters, not the eccentric type. It took many months to get that thing. Dang I was pissed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts