Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have planned to change the original flywheel to the the very light one by Nichols
Stock flywheel weighs more than 4 pounds. Nichols flywheels weigh 9 to 12 ounces,
depending on the application. They are CNC machined from 6061-T6 aluminum . There is 4 trigger plates at the surface for picups ( P8 ECU at SPS 996 ) Has there been any that known is it good or bad at bike. Could it be "too " light . has someone one for sale or swap ? thanks macci .:smile2::confused:http://www.ducati.ms/forums/images/Ducati_ms_2015/icons/post_face_embarrassed.png

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I've got a 12 ounce on my 916 and love it, very steetable, no stalling issues. Better throttle response and nice weight saving.
If you still want better throttle response fast throttle cam is a nice cheap mod.
Electraeon Fast Throttle Cam for Ducati motorcycles.
There's been alot written about this mod, search not working for me, probaby just my browser :)
They don't come up for sale very often used but you might be lucky.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
issues that come from light flywheels imo are more about the owner than the bike, but they do exaggerate poor low speed tuning.

i have ridden sps with that flywheel and i wouldn't call it a problem, but we had to pull one out to try to placate an owner who really had the wrong bike.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
I wish you luck in your quest.

In 12 months when you've had no response email Nichols, <[email protected]> website appears to be under repair but they're very helpful, you should be good just emailing.

Yoyodyne have a few listed, also good guys to deal with.
https://www.yoyodyneti.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=flywheel&Submit=
+1 for the Yoydyne - exquisite manufacturing: bought one for an SS I had years ago but managed get taken out from behind before fitting it - sold it to the buyer of the remains...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts