Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
^ having trouble finding it on their website. i'm sure it's at their store, but is it findable on their website?

thanks in advance!

edit: found it.....was hoping for an SP edition.

nice though!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yup... That one is beautiful. Though if I were to get an early 90s desmo I think I'd go for an 93 888 spo.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I don't know, those hand grips don't look stock to me. I won't even mention the tires! :p

I don't know how you can keep stock mufflers on that bike. An 851 with pipes on it can strike fear into the hearts of the strongest of men!
Actually Scott, those are the grips that came out of the crate in April of 1990. They look bumpy and weird in the picture but not like that at all. The exhaust is a fantastic work of art, cored out and sounds like a big block V8! Got an original non messed set of exhaust set aside for original config. Ya', the Pilot Powers are and upgrade:eek:, which reminds me, new set needed!!!

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
thumbs up! i'd love a SP2 though.....if anyone has one for sale, pls let us know.
I thought none of the SP bikes came to the states. For example, the SPO is just a tarted up standard 888 and not a patch on a SP5

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I sure like that era bikes...Man, maybe someday I'll get one. I just want to hear that baby...

·
Registered
12 Posts
My first Ducati was a '91 851 and I still miss her! The bike was a nightmare to live with but given a second chance I would have her in the garage again. Took about an hour to get the fairing off, battery went flat in traffic, clutch slave cylinder failed twice but had the stock pipes de-baffled so on the over run it sounded awesome - set off car alarms at 100 yards.

The weird thing with Ducati's in earlier years is that at the end of production runs they became parts bin specials. My 91 had 92 spec forks and seat cowl, and shock straight from the factory. My 2000 996SPS is similar, there were 2 in the shop, both new 2000 bikes both different specs - mine had more carbon as standard, race kit pipes and ECU as well as standard parts, stand etc where the other didn't.

·
Registered
396 Posts
My first Ducati was a '91 851 and I still miss her! The bike was a nightmare to live with but given a second chance I would have her in the garage again. Took about an hour to get the fairing off, battery went flat in traffic, clutch slave cylinder failed twice but had the stock pipes de-baffled so on the over run it sounded awesome - set off car alarms at 100 yards.
I have found that once you work out a few minor "kinks" the things are dependable as hell. I have made a few long distance rides and have been impressed with both the reliability and the relative comfort, 600+ miles a day on the last long ride. Ya', setting off car alarms is a blast huh? And yes I would miss her too!!! There is a mysterious something about these earlier four valvers, a pure joy to ride. :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi, I'm just visiting from the SportClassic forum, I thought that I'd add the fact that I have a '92 851 Strada that I bought new back then. I've lived with this bike and it has had no major problems other than replacing the sprag clutch which I have learned how to do myself to save $$ and to have the satisfaction of the process. I used to ride this bike from LA to Monterey for the races once or twice a year, and did a Reg Pridmore CLASS track riding school on it, as well as countless Sundays up on the Angeles Crest. The 851s and 888s have a raw raucous exhaust note and sound overall more mechanical than the current crop of Superbikes. I took it out for a spin yesterday after spending all day running errands on my GT 1000, and the difference is astounding. The GT is so easy, like driving a car (not really), and the 851 feels like a mini bike with a V8 in it!

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi, I'm just visiting from the SportClassic forum, I thought that I'd add the fact that I have a '92 851 Strada that I bought new back then. I've lived with this bike and it has had no major problems other than replacing the sprag clutch which I have learned how to do myself to save $$ and to have the satisfaction of the process. I used to ride this bike from LA to Monterey for the races once or twice a year, and did a Reg Pridmore CLASS track riding school on it, as well as countless Sundays up on the Angeles Crest. The 851s and 888s have a raw raucous exhaust note and sound overall more mechanical than the current crop of Superbikes. I took it out for a spin yesterday after spending all day running errands on my GT 1000, and the difference is astounding. The GT is so easy, like driving a car (not really), and the 851 feels like a mini bike with a V8 in it!
So cool!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Ha! Funny coincidence, the guy who owned the 851 that's at Hattar Motorsports traded it in for a GT1000 Sport Classic. Go figure. The 851 is absolutely immaculate, runs fantastic, and sounds --- well it's an 851 so it sounds like pure Ducati sex, just as it should. It's stock right down to the exhaust pipes, but they can't hide that early 4-valve signature sound. Speaking of signatures, the bike has Doug Polen's signature on it, not that most of us would really care, but what the heck. At $8500 I'm surprised no one has snapped this beauty up yet. It would be a fine addition to anyone's collection.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts