Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

I'm new to Ducati and the Ducati Forum but very active on the Norton Access forum. I have 5 bikes at the moment I'm not exactly a newbie. I have a 1948 AJS M18, 1966 Norton Atlas, 1972 Norton Commando, 2000 Harley Police bike, 2003 Bonneville.

I am picking up a 1974 Ducati 750 GT on Monday. I'm so excited!!!! I've never owned, ridden or even sat on a Ducati before so I'm a bit daunted about driving 800 miles after forking out a lot of cash for a bike I purchased online. It is titled as 1974, and the engine number is 753556. The previous owner has had the bike for 36 years and recently restored/customized it. Apparently everything has been updated and refreshed. This is BY FAR the most expensive bike I've ever purchased so I'm excited and nervous.

I'm still researching but that engine number looks like it could be a 1973 or a 1974. Any ideas?

I am looking forward to getting to know the forum members here. Thanks so much!

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
9,420 Posts
I have no idea as to the answer to your question, but that is one beautiful looking bike. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
That is a cracking looking bike and I love 750 Ducatis. Sorry to point something out, but you may need to change tyres - the PO has fitted larger tyres, which is why he has fitted the 900SS front mudguard, and they are too large for the rims.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I am picking up a 1974 Ducati 750 GT on Monday. <snip> It is titled as 1974, and the engine number is 753556. <snip> I'm still researching, but that engine number looks like it could be a 1973 or a 1974. Any ideas?
First of all, welcome to the Forum and many congratulations on your purchase. It looks like the bike has been well cared for over the years, and it's certainly distinctive!

To your question:

According to Ian Falloon* - and who knows better? - the bike would have been built in 1973, as part of what he calls the 'Second production stage'. These bikes had engine numbers 752500 thru to 753700 (approx.) and frames numbers 752100 to 753500 (approx).

This would fit with the leading axle front forks. Again according to Ian, these became centre axle in 1974.

* The Ducati 750 Bible. An essential purchase for all owners, IMO. Lots of info.

Ciao

Craig

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Yeah, what he^^^ said.

Typical explanation is the bike was labeled a '74 based on when it was sold, not when it was built. But my own GT was titled a '73 when in fact it had all the details of a late '74, so games do get played over the years.

In the end I don't think it really matters. The bike has been changed from stock anyway and IMHO those mods make more difference than what the year on the title says. Mine was the same way.

Have fun with the bike. They certainly do have their charm, though I ended up selling mine a couple years back. I didn't ride it enough to justify keeping it. In a roundabout way that sale led to me buying an 851 which is scratching my "old bike" itch quite well for the moment so I don't really miss the 750.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! I'm very excited!!! Picking it up tomorrow.

The previous owner said that he's wanted to "refurbish" rather than restore it to stock condition. The engine was completely rebuilt 4 years ago with a new crank and only has about 1000 miles on it since. He made some obvious cosmetic changes which I think are fantastic. Included in the sale is lots of the stock parts that he swapped out. Screw adjust rockers to replace the original shim adjust. Front brake is bremo but the original caliper is included. There are lots of spares and tool included too.

I'll have to check on the tires as was pointed out above. I will let you all know how it goes. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
278 Posts
I don't care what you had to pay for your new ride, that is one beautiful Ducati. I love Norton's also. My Dad rode a AJS 500 twin back in the day, says it was the best bike he ever had, he's 86 now. Good luck with the new Duc.

Reactions: sunstar557

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I got her home last night after a long ass drive. It's great. I am so excited. I will post pics later.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I also have a '74, 750 GT, bought new when I was a kid. In the USA they came pumpkin orange/black with I think 30mm Del'ortos and single Scarab brakes. Mine now has dual Brembos with a Lockheed Mag Master cylinder; also painted black (72 - 73 style) because it looks better; sport pistons and rebalanced crank; 36mm Del'ortos (nicer power); and otherwise stock. Obviously, I will never sell that bike. Congratulations on reaching nirvana.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts