Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
There probably wont be one. They may make one a decade down the road once this HP race begins to peak, and the style, classic design, and as stated already, usable power begins to catch back on.

Flat out, Current market would never buy an air cooled, 100hp, 420lb bike when the superbike big brothers are a couple grand more. For 25-50% more power, less weight, and $15 more per month on a loan. What would 95% of people really buy? And you see the sketch, if thats really what you want the new SS to look like, why not just buy a superbike? They are extremely similiar.

The imaginary market for a new SS would be best fulfilled by an independent medium scale bike modifying group. Sorta like the Lingenfelter for GM. They'd take orders from serious buyers, take a superbike frame, slap a 1100 motor in it, and boom. Charge you $20k, for a bike that should cost $10k.

If you truly, reallly reallllly reallly want a new SS. Build your own. Sit back and slowly pick up parts cheap and you could probably have one after $5k in parts. Like this http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=67691

Take the fairings from the superbike version you like best, have decals made, slap some red paint on it. It'd be very cool, and the SS crowd would love it. I'd like to do it someday. It's just spending $500 here, $1400 there, $200 on this, $2000 on that all that random spending and not really using it until some years down the road isnt pratical for me...

...However, a 1098 is. Getting a loan, spending a pretty penny each month, and riding the hell out of a beautiful, fast Ducati.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
I believe our friends from Boulder Motorsports are working on bringing these into the country (both street and track versions)

http://www.f042.com/home.asp?page=F042_strada

yummm...
I've owned three Supersports and to me this is not a Supersport as I want to see it. I want a bike that is a sport bike that can be used as a two up ride. Something that has a pillion that can be used to strap a dry bag on and go camping. Why would I buy this when I can buy a 848 or 749?

·
Registered
712 Posts
I've owned three Supersports and to me this is not a Supersport as I want to see it. I want a bike that is a sport bike that can be used as a two up ride. Something that has a pillion that can be used to strap a dry bag on and go camping. Why would I buy this when I can buy a 848 or 749?
Because the 2V power is much more fun to ride compared to the power delivery from a 4V motor :)
Don't like the F42 is street outfit. It's cool though in race trim :cool: But it cannot compete with the ncr millona one imo :cool:

Bit expensive though :eek:

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I think that with all this attention to building a sport bike around Ducati's 2 valve motor would mean that there is some kind of market for these kinds of bikes. We have NCR, Radical Ducati and Pierobon, plus others I don't know about. Does anyone see this kind of attention paid to Japanese bikes? I've heard of Hyabusa engines being put into small cars, but otherwise, no. Maybe Ducati has it wrong and there really is a market for this kind of bike.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Not in my opinion. Guess we will have to agree to disagree.
Well, "my" opinion is just from 'hear say' :eek:
Haven't actualy ridden a 4V Duc. But most people I 've heard prefer the power delivery (and sound) of the 2V Duc over the 4V.
I can say I take my 750SS over the CBF600 of the "riding academy" anytime :D

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Haven't actualy ridden a 4V Duc. But most people I 've heard prefer the power delivery (and sound) of the 2V Duc over the 4V.
I can say I take my 750SS over the CBF600 of the "riding academy" anytime :D
The CBF600 is a twin? I'm not familiar with it. Having both a 998 and a SS1000DS I have to say I prefer the 4V both in function and sound. But, there are advantages to the SS1000DS, chief among them being reduced maintenance costs. I've been stuck in bumper to bumper traffic in OK in 100 degree weather and it was not fun on my '96 SS/SP.

Just to be clear, I'm not opposed to an aircooled 2V in a new SS. I just want the bike to be more than a monoposto sport bike. If it came to that I'd just keep my SS1000DS.

·
Registered
712 Posts
The CBF600 is a twin? I'm not familiar with it. Having both a 998 and a SS1000DS I have to say I prefer the 4V both in function and sound. But, there are advantages to the SS1000DS, chief among them being reduced maintenance costs. I've been stuck in bumper to bumper traffic in OK in 100 degree weather and it was not fun on my '96 SS/SP.

Just to be clear, I'm not opposed to an aircooled 2V in a new SS. I just want the bike to be more than a monoposto sport bike. If it came to that I'd just keep my SS1000DS.
The CBF600 is a 4-in-line H:sleep:nda...:sleep: Easy to ride, but no smile from ear to ear when roling the throttle.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I thought they stopped with the '06 SS1000DS and 800 SS. But, I went to Wikepedia too and they said they were brought into the US in "limited quantities." I wonder if anyone here has one?
Yup, I have a 2007 800 Supersport. I didn't think they were that uncommon. It's no different from the 2006 and was only sold in the US. I think they were just getting rid of the last of the bikes they didn't sell in 2006.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Yup, I have a 2007 800 Supersport. I didn't think they were that uncommon. It's no different from the 2006 and was only sold in the US. I think they were just getting rid of the last of the bikes they didn't sell in 2006.
I believe the 2007 800ss had different sized valve stems (not the ones on the wheel.) My memory says 7mm instead of the standard 8mm?? :confused:

·
Chilehead
6,979 Posts
Sorry, but having an ST2, SS, and 999R, the power delivery of the 999R is by far the best, at any RPM the other two are capable of (low, high, doesn't matter).

SS sounds the best, though.

Tom

·
Chilehead
6,979 Posts
Because the 2V power is much more fun to ride compared to the power delivery from a 4V motor
In what sense?

To me, they are pretty much the same, the only difference being that my SS redlines at 8500, my ST2 at 9500, and my 999R at 10500.

Of the three, my 999R is actually the best at plodding along around town, as it has the best torque.

Tom

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
In what sense?

To me, they are pretty much the same, the only difference being that my SS redlines at 8500, my ST2 at 9500, and my 999R at 10500.

Of the three, my 999R is actually the best at plodding along around town, as it has the best torque.

Tom
You're comparing apples and oranges. They are different motors built to different specifications.

1000DS: 70 lb-ft @5750 rpm
999R: 86 lb-ft @ 8000 rpm

21 - 40 of 98 Posts