Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike = 1996 900CR ... 17.5K miles.

Are those fancy pants zoot capri spark plugs worth their salt? Such as those "E3" jobs?

I'm working up project lists for the bike, "Ignition" sub-chapter will include new cables/caps/plugs. I feel it's prudent to install new ignition system since we've such long stretches of highways without any services for 50 to 75 miles at a stretch. Since the carbs are off being refurbished and the tank is removed, I reckon it's a good time to work on the ignition and other electrics (including a rewire of the batt/charging/lighting systems).

Given that the bike is going on 24 years old, I may end up going with the CA CycleWorks cables, caps, coils kit;

LINK = ExactFit? High Voltage Ignition Coils Kit

(See attached image).

That said, are any of the hi zoot sparks a good idea? No?

Thankies. :smile2:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
Reactions: Rex Coil 7

·
Registered
305 Posts
Never tried them, but I have found E3's to be nothing more than gimmicky, in cars. I typically am more concerned with correct plug gap, than anything. I do use iridiums in my Ducatis... do they make a difference? Not that I could tell. But they do have two fantastic benefits that others did not... they were in stock, and on sale. ?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Never tried them, but I have found E3's to be nothing more than gimmicky, in cars. I typically am more concerned with correct plug gap, than anything. I do use iridiums in my Ducatis... do they make a difference? Not that I could tell. But they do have two fantastic benefits that others did not... they were in stock, and on sale. ?
HA! I hear ya. :laugh:

Yea ... I'm thinking those E3 plugs are better suited in applications where the engine is tasked with burning shitloads of fuel at high RPM ... such as nitrous oxide equipped engines and other "power adders" where a lot of fuel is being burned at very high cylinder pressures (drag racing and the like).

But for these "little putt putt engines in our little motorcycles" I'm thinking those iridium plated plugs will do just dandy. I've read a number of posts by trusted folks within our membership that have voiced support for them as well.

Right on ... :smile2:

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
I use the iridium plugs in most of my bikes. They work fine.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
I always thought the iridium tipped plugs were really intended for long replacement intervals rather than for any performance gain. For the ss the replacement NGKs are super cheap and work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,677 Posts
The benefit of Iridium plugs is they feel like new plugs for a very long time. People who say they make the bike "run better" probably replaced a well shagged set of standard plugs with them. You'd get the same improvement in feel with a new set of standard plugs over a well used set, but they will degrade over time like any other standard plug. The Iridiums will likely last longer than most will own the bike. They have one reason for existing, longer mandated emissions warranties in cars. I get a new company car every 3 years. In that time I will put around 130K miles on it. Never replaced a set of plugs. Company won't even authorize that kind of work for normal service.

Some have had problems with them. You need to gap them larger than your bike's manual indicates. They come pre set at something close to 1mm. Leave it like that, work well.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The benefit of Iridium plugs is they feel like new plugs for a very long time. People who say they make the bike "run better" probably replaced a well shagged set of standard plugs with them. You'd get the same improvement in feel with a new set of standard plugs over a well used set, but they will degrade over time like any other standard plug. The Iridiums will likely last longer than most will own the bike. They have one reason for existing, longer mandated emissions warranties in cars. I get a new company car every 3 years. In that time I will put around 130K miles on it. Never replaced a set of plugs. Company won't even authorize that kind of work for normal service.

Some have had problems with them. You need to gap them larger than your bike's manual indicates. They come pre set at something close to 1mm. Leave it like that, work well.
DPR8EIX-9 ... or ... DPR9EIX-9 ???

·
Premium Member
5,677 Posts
I honesty don't remember. Both my applications are DQ bikes, so I'd need to remove the plugs to see. Pretty sure i just used the same heat range as the OEM plugs. Probably a safe bet to do the same with yours.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts