Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm picking up a cherry 2000 996 later on this week and I have a list of mods I plan on doing.

First up I'm trying to get some radial brakes up front and I was wondering if anyone has ever swapped over a set of the newer forks from an 848/1098 onto an older Superbike like my 996.

I have heard it's pretty straight forward except for the brake rotors. From what I understand I will need a set of rotors with a 15mm offset like the one's that came on the 748R/998R. Is this correct or will my standard rotors work?

Thanks,
'Mash

·
Registered
248 Posts
Not just the rotor offset, the front wheel and rotor are completely different.

996 wheel have speedo drive, rotor is 6 bolts mount, 10mm offset. (748R & 998R rotor are 6 bolts mount, 15mm offset)

1098 wheel no speedo drive, rotor is 5 bolts mount. Front axle diameter is also different, which will require different wheel bearings. I can't remember if rotor diameter is even the same?

You better off just swap a complete 1098/848 front end on your 996, then worry about speedo mod later........

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sean.

How about a swap out for a set of 999 Ohlins with the radial mount. Any thoughts?

I know that I will need the lower triple that goes with the Ohlins forks and I'm not sure if it will work with my stock top triple.

·
Registered
248 Posts
It maybe easier if you can find radial mount lower that fits your 996 Showa fork, then figure out what kinda caliper & rotors you need to make it work.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It maybe easier if you can find radial mount lower that fits your 996 Showa fork, then figure out what kinda caliper & rotors you need to make it work.
I thought of that but everyone wants around $1K just for the mounts.

I just spoke with someone who said that an Ohlins 999 front end would bolt right up and even use the lower triple with my bike. I'm sure there is an offset problem and I'll need the 15mm offset rotors but thats easy enough.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
The diameter of the lower triples are different for Ohlins and Showa forks. The biggest problem you will face is going to be the brake rotors and wheel combinations. Get the correct bolt pattern and offset and you're good :)

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,879 Posts
I just went with Ohlins forks using the 65mm mount spacing, paired with the Brembo 4 pad (998R) calipers. Not as cool-looking as the radial mounts, but a terrific improvement and a fraction of the money and hassle.

(OK, I splurged on Ti mounting bolts.)

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
As said you can use later forks but you will need to adapt your wheel (bearings, spacers etc) or fit the new bike's wheel, you'll need 15mm offset rotors but you will lose the mechanical speedo drive. So you would need an electric speedo and pick up off the rear wheel as per the later bikes.

If you use Ohlins forks you'll need a new bottom triple clamp (or bore out the old one) as the forks are thicker, top triple is the same size.

I fitted PVM radial mounts to 916 Showa forks that were rebuilt with Ktech internals & ti-nitride tubes with Brembo HP 15mm offset rotors, Brembo HP radial calipers and Brembo radial master cylinder and whilst the cost got a little out of hand I'm very happy with the end results.

Attachments

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just swap out the triples ,forks and wheel then you wont have to fab anything just bolt on .
I have been considering that as well. Then there is a problem that the front wheel doesn't match the rear wheel.

I've heard conflicting stories regarding whether the rear wheel from an 848 is a direct fit. I've heard several people say it bolts right on with no issues but then someone I know tried it and said there was a problem with alignment.

If the 848 wheel was a direct fit I would just source a set of them and a front end and be done with it.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Any idea if just the lowers from the 1098 Showa fork will fit on the 996 Showa fork?

If it will fit presumably you'd have to also use a 1098 axle and change the bearings in the 996's wheel. Anything else other than the different offset of the discs?

·
9,757 Posts
Just buy a set of 4pad brembos and some ohlins internals for your showas and enjoy. The alternative is a marginal improvement given the difference in cost. Plus, once its all done you'll still have no speedo.

As far as the wheels go, the 848 ones are nothing special. I'd say keep the stock 5 spokes. These new forged aluminum OZ's from motowheels.com are pretty sweet though, and they cost less than 2 grand:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I fitted PVM radial mounts to 916 Showa forks that were rebuilt with Ktech internals & ti-nitride tubes with Brembo HP 15mm offset rotors, Brembo HP radial calipers and Brembo radial master cylinder and whilst the cost got a little out of hand I'm very happy with the end results.
and it looks great too - actually, your whole bike looks ace!

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I have 1198 forks on my 750SS. Not an easy swap, but do-able. What made it easy for me is I have a digital speedo, so when swapping to the new wheels, I was able to use the 1198 spacers. I am using BST's but still used the 996 style 5 spoke front wheel. I had to find some 996/998R rotors to give me the 15mm offset while still having the 6 bolt pattern.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
What's a fair price to expect to pay for the 4-pad Brembos? Will they simply replace the stock 2-pad calipers? Do they work with the stock discs? Does the stock lever set-up have the correct ratio for them?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts