Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day,
I used 'newbo' because it sounds more masculine than 'newbie'.
Just bought a 1998 ST2 rather cheaply with the typical service needs:
Most urgent of these is the starter sprag bearing/clutch but there will be much more I am guessing at 65,000km.

I am trying to buy HDESA (or similar) tools to (in the first instance) take out the clutch and get to the start, check out the state of the stator. Because I'm in Oz, to save multiple purchases and postage I figured a kit would be the go. On HDESA ebay site and regular website I could not find an ST2 engine service tool kit. I contacted HDESA on their ebay site (didn't get a reply to email posted on their website (my email may not have reached them?). They were very prompt and helpful but I am not sure our communication has worked out right. They said to use this kit for the ST2

DUCATI 900 SS / 750 SS HDESA Engine / Service Tool Kit | eBay

I didn't see ST2 in the list of bikes, so I emailed to verify and they again said it was this kit. I have heard that some later 900 SS bikes had a related engine block (to the ST2) but some tools look unfamiliar in comparison to others I've seen for the ST2 on HDESA's site (such as the flywheel tool).

If someone who has a kit or some of the engine service tools could look at the HDESA tool kit in the link (or if you know about the mechanical nature of listed bikes compared with the ST2) and tell me if it seems right, I'd be extremely, massive, wickedly and almost pathetically grateful. As it is, my new Duc won't start without the sprag repair, so it is sitting in my garage probably wondering why I bought it.

I am very new to Ducati (previously worked on my air-cooled Kawasaki's and VW's but recently on water-cooled Land Rover and Fiat) so forgive my greenness.

Cheers,

Rich

·
Administrator
12,897 Posts
Reactions: dolphinberserk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Scott, I'll move my question to the ST forum.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts