Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Still needs a life.
12,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed mistakes are sometimes made in discussions of the various sport touring models, most notably interchanging the ST4 and ST4s. This has led to confusion as to the specific model being discussed. The following is a list I made (with the help of the membership) of the various Ducati sport touring models. I ask that:

1) the Sport Touring forum moderator post this as a sticky or whatever you call a thread which remains at the top of the forum and

2) those new to the Ducati Sport Touring line review the list before asking a question about a certain model in order to avoid confusion in the subsequent discussion.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
ST2 = 944 cc, 2 valves/cylinder.
ST4 = 916 cc, 4 valves/cylinder (916 Superbike engine redone for sport touring)
ST4s = 996 cc, 4 valves/cylinder (996 Superbike engine redone for sport touring), upgraded suspension from the ST2 and ST4. Also available with ABS beginning with MY 03.
ST3 = 992 cc, 3 valves/cylinder. New engine developed specifically for the ST3.
ST3sABS = same as ST3 w/the suspension of the ST4s and ABS.

All the ST models are liquid cooled.

The upper fairing, dash, handle bars, and seat of the ST2 were carried over to the ST4 and ST4s through MY 03.

The ST3 was introduced in MY 04. It came with a new style upper fairing, electronic dash, adjustible handlebars, and (in the opinion of many) an upgraded seat. This was carried over to the ST4s in MY 04.

The ST2, ST4, and ST4s are no longer in production, leaving the ST3 and ST3sABS as Ducati's sole sport tourers for MY 07. Rumors abound as the future of a sport tourer in Ducati's lineup.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

·
Señor Member
1,466 Posts
One addition I'd like to suggest:

MY 05+ all ST models went to wet clutches as opposed to the dry clutches found on other Ducatis

·
Still needs a life.
12,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
please contribute to this thread

jack said:
As a side note, could you maybe add the years of production for the ST2, 4, 4s, 3 and 3s. Thanks.
This info would be helpful, especially since some models were discontinued in North America before they were discontinued in Europe.

A list of the various suspension changes (downgrades?) to the ST2 throughout its lifespan would also be useful, as would the year of the change to the wet clutch on the ST4s and ST3. Someone posted rear sprocket info on another thread, which would also be worthy to be listed here.

Members should feel free to contribute to this thread with additional helpful info.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Levine-- yes an ST4s Ohlins will work on an ST3. The 4s has a lighter nicer swing arm but all dimensions are the same so the ST4s Ohlins will bolt right on to a 3 and look/ feel OEM. I fitted one to my ST2 and it works/ fits perfectly. If however you do not have an adjustable ride height rod I would add one at when you add the Ohlins.

·
Registered
421 Posts
vincep said:
Yes. I purchased the shock and adjustable strut off a wrecked 04 ST4S and bolted it on an 04 ST3. Best upgrade I have made!
I believe that you can do this from all ST4 models to the ST3.
Also picked up the fully adjustable forks from an S4R that are a direct swap too.
I thought the ST3 front end suspension tubes size are different than all other Ducati models?

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Hey Levine, check with NCRick on this board. He can make your front end feel like a million bucks for about 1/2 of that $750. Also he is an Ohlins and Penske dealer- the Penske is supposed to be as nice as the Ohlins and more adjustable AND it comes has adjustable ride height so you don't need the adjustable rod from Ducati. I think that the Penske is a few bucks cheaper than the Ohlins.
I put an Ohlins on cause Rick had a used one that I bought, if I were buying new I would look at the Penske. My .02.

·
Señor Member
1,466 Posts
butch said:
Hey Levine, check with NCRick on this board. He can make your front end feel like a million bucks for about 1/2 of that $750. Also he is an Ohlins and Penske dealer- the Penske is supposed to be as nice as the Ohlins and more adjustable AND it comes has adjustable ride height so you don't need the adjustable rod from Ducati. I think that the Penske is a few bucks cheaper than the Ohlins.
I put an Ohlins on cause Rick had a used one that I bought, if I were buying new I would look at the Penske. My .02.
+1
Penske is what I'm getting after lots of looking around. The built in ride height adjuster along with all the dampening adjustements is what sealed the deal for me. Ferracci also sells a ride height adjuster if you get a shock that doesnt have an adjuster built in.

Either choice is good. The best solution is to get a shock with a spring for your weight(s) and riding style (if you ride a lot two up, lots of luggage, etc.).

The front fork of the base ST3 is adjustable for preload. I have done some adjusting of mine and made it work for me. I don't push it that hard and a little more preload was all I needed. If I start doing track days, I might need something else, but for now, the OEM fork is good enough.

·
Registered
887 Posts
dmrst said:
+1
Penske is what I'm getting after lots of looking around. The built in ride height adjuster along with all the dampening adjustements is what sealed the deal for me. Ferracci also sells a ride height adjuster if you get a shock that doesnt have an adjuster built in.
Adjusting the ride height on the shock side of the suspension rocker will not provide the same result as an adjustment made on the ride height strut side. This is due to the geometry of these suspension components which is designed to provide "rising rate" movement.

I can't say with certainty that it's better to do it on the strut side (although that is where the Ducati designers intended) but the rising rate geometry will change depending upon which side the adjustment is made from.

·
7,733 Posts
Mike said:
Adjusting the ride height on the shock side of the suspension rocker will not provide the same result as an adjustment made on the ride height strut side. This is due to the geometry of these suspension components which is designed to provide "rising rate" movement.

I can't say with certainty that it's better to do it on the strut side (although that is where the Ducati designers intended) but the rising rate geometry will change depending upon which side the adjustment is made from.

AFAIK, all the stock ride height adjuster does is effectively lower the swing arm, and as far as I can tell, a ride height adjuster on a shock will accomplish the same thing. The rocker's rising rate/action is unaffected if the ride height is raised one way or the other IMO.

·
Señor Member
1,466 Posts
Mike said:
Adjusting the ride height on the shock side of the suspension rocker will not provide the same result as an adjustment made on the ride height strut side. ...
It will on a shock that is equipped with a ride height adjuster AS WELL AS preload adjustment. Most folks see preload adjustment as ride height adjustment. The two properties are separate. For someone that wants to learn something about aftermarket shocks (as opposed to those who already know everything), take a look at NCRick's site with a little more explanation (clicky) You can also try a web search for Penske 8981 on your favorite search engine. You will find a lot about shocks and the various adjustments that you can get.

·
Still needs a life.
12,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sprocket info

This was initially posted by someone else on another thread. I am reposting it here to try to keep this info in one convenient spot. I did not know there was an MY 01-ST4s, but that could be its release year in Europe.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Here's the info from Ducati's site regarding gearing. The first number is
the front sprocket size, the second number is the rear sprocket size.
Unfortunately, Ducati's site only goes back to 2001:

2001 ST2 - 15/42
2001 ST4 - 15/43
2001 ST4s - 15/40

2002 ST2 - 15/42
2002 ST4 - 15/43
2002 ST4s - 15/38

2003 ST2 - 15/42
2003 ST4 - 15/43
2003 ST4s (& ABS) - 15/38

2004 ST3 - 15/42
2004 ST4s (& ABS) - 15/38

2005 ST3 - 15/42
2005 ST4s (& ABS) - 15/38

2006 ST3 (& ABS) - 15/42

2007 ST3 (& ABS) - 15/42

·
Registered
720 Posts
AFAIK they're not Johnny, they have different headers (different diameter).
The 3 and 4 models are definately different and I think the 4 and 4s as well (having a 916 and a 996 engine). Not sure about the 2 though ...
Anybody?

·
Registered
110 Posts
How about colors?
Can someone confirm if Ducati made a 2004 ST4s in Yellow? The Ducati web-site indicates that they did, but I have not seen any evidence of one. I just do not want to waste my time looking for one if they do not exist.

Thanks,
Keith

·
Still needs a life.
12,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How about colors?
Can someone confirm if Ducati made a 2004 ST4s in Yellow? The Ducati web-site indicates that they did, but I have not seen any evidence of one. I just do not want to waste my time looking for one if they do not exist.

Thanks,
Keith
They did make a fastest color 04-ST4s. I saw one at Ducati Seattle. Although I love yellow in the old style STs (MY 03 and earlier) , I did not care for it in the new stlye bikes. For me, all of that clear plastic which covers the headlights and turn signals does not go with yellow. It needs red, black, or even silver to look good..... but that is just me.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts