Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi I'm 51 live in Perth, Western Australia and just traded my KTM LC4 Supermoto on an '08 Hypermotard 1100 with 300 miles on the clock. I've only done about 100km so am still getting used it it after 6 years on supermotos.

Just a couple of questions if that's ok.

The gear lever toe is at a wierd angle on mine, almost straight up and down, its seems to be a press fit, is it just a matter of twisting it with a shifter?

What's typical running temperature, mine was at about 90 today but its been pretty cold here in Western Australia.

what sort of range should I expect before going onto reserve?

What air pressure should I be running, I had 28 front and rear in the Supermoto but the Hyper came with 32/35 which feels too hard to me.

The suspension seems pretty firm, almost harsh to me. Is it just a matter of me getting used to 5.5in of travel instead of 12in or can I soften it up a bit without a degree in in Suspension Setup?

Is it normal for the gear changes up to be nice but down needing a bit extra force?

Do I have to be a genius to get at the tool kit in the left-hand fairing?

I think I need to go on a track day to get used to this beast!

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
Welcome to the Forum and to Hyper ownership..Tool Kit 1/4 turn with a dime on the three fasteners Not a very impressive tool kit. Fuel range 160km then reserve (about)Gear change it will loosen up Tip: if you mis shift ,shift to a higher gear not a lower one ,The shifter is positioned so that you will make a positive shift , Temperature is ok Some cover the oil cooler in the cold or wet weather (duct tape)Air pressure and suspension Tweaking OH BOY that is a deep subject .there is a ton of info here if you do a search, got a few hours ? I'll let others add to this with more indepth info. Oh Yea do a track day....Have a ball!!!!

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Hi I'm 51 live in Perth, Western Australia and just traded my KTM LC4 Supermoto on an '08 Hypermotard 1100 with 300 miles on the clock. I've only done about 100km so am still getting used it it after 6 years on supermotos.

The gear lever toe is at a wierd angle on mine, almost straight up and down, its seems to be a press fit, is it just a matter of twisting it with a shifter?

What's typical running temperature, mine was at about 90 today but its been pretty cold here in Western Australia.

What air pressure should I be running, I had 28 front and rear in the Supermoto but the Hyper came with 32/35 which feels too hard to me.

The suspension seems pretty firm, almost harsh to me. Is it just a matter of me getting used to 5.5in of travel instead of 12in or can I soften it up a bit without a degree in in Suspension Setup?

Is it normal for the gear changes up to be nice but down needing a bit extra force?

Giday, Mate,
I too am new to the Hypermotard, in Perth, around the same age and your questions have answered about all the questions I have. ;)

PM me!

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Well for a start you have just brought a chick magnet
young and old and i'm 51.. "senior as ive just read" F$#K

Every day is a rush believe me !

Some of your questions have been answered many times over and owners tend to want you to review these first
check the past and try search first .

we all run different tyre pressures pending tyres, wheel, riding feel, set up .
i run 38 rear, 36 front.

Fuel depends on riding style if you are a terminator on the run " not so good"
less than mention "driving miss daisy" 200 ks ,

anyone of the 100s of mods that can be done this tends to reduce the fuel again.

lt took me 1000 ks to just get use to the power and riding feel.
welcome this is a good forum group with patient people lots of knowledge lots of ideas

temp from 52c to 102c pending outside temp and again riding style
up north around 75c to 94c

shanetbird
townsville

·
Registered
74 Posts
Newby reply

Congratulations on purchasing a great bike.

I am a slight bit older and bought the same bike/year model.

To answer some of your questions -
Gear lever toe angle - this really chapped my ass as well - actually rode on my boot and toe pretty severely. I had the shop "bend" it to a different angle and added a set of after-market pegs that allowed adjustment of the foot angle. It helped.

Gas range - that is tough. If you add pipes and an ECU unit it will change and vary. Suggestion - order/purchase the 6.4 gal (US) after-market tank. It will double your range and does not really feel that much heavier. Yeah, there is some center of gravity changes, but you can get around that with practice and miles. The extra range makes this a truly more enjoyable bike.

As far as suspension - that might soften with time and usage. I actually added an Ohlins rear unit with a stiffer spring. The front I am still experimenting with. This is a road bike primarily, and as such, they have less travel.

Suggestion - leave the tool kit where it is and get a small tank bag and supply your own.

Enjoy and welcome to the family.

Lee

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Congratulations on purchasing a great bike.

I am a slight bit older and bought the same bike/year model.

To answer some of your questions -
Gear lever toe angle - this really chapped my ass as well - actually rode on my boot and toe pretty severely. I had the shop "bend" it to a different angle and added a set of after-market pegs that allowed adjustment of the foot angle. It helped.

Gas range - that is tough. If you add pipes and an ECU unit it will change and vary. Suggestion - order/purchase the 6.4 gal (US) after-market tank. It will double your range and does not really feel that much heavier. Yeah, there is some center of gravity changes, but you can get around that with practice and miles. The extra range makes this a truly more enjoyable bike.

As far as suspension - that might soften with time and usage. I actually added an Ohlins rear unit with a stiffer spring. The front I am still experimenting with. This is a road bike primarily, and as such, they have less travel.

Suggestion - leave the tool kit where it is and get a small tank bag and supply your own.

Enjoy and welcome to the family.

Lee

Thanks for the welcome people.

Pity its been raining non-stop here and I haven't even gone through my first tank of juice. The dealer has a tool kit for me to pickup.

The angle of the gear lever is interesting, I looked at a number of HMs in the shop and the angle seemed to vary a bit on all of them. I twisted mine so it sits flat on the top of my boot, its still at a bit of an angle though. At $200 it didn't want to get too carried away with the shifter.

I'm used to pretty crap range on the LC4 so hopefully the new bike won't be too much less. I could always stap a jerry can to my back.

I cut the tire pressure back to 30psi and took half a turn off the compression dampening front and rear, it felt a bit softer but maybe I'm just getting used to it. Compared with the Supermoto the front end seemed to "chatter" a couple of times which creeped me out, but at 150km or so I really shouldn't comment until I get used to it.

·
Registered
605 Posts
The shifter tip will twist in the lever without breaking. You can also adjust the height with the link rod joints and by moving the arm one spline on the shift shaft. I ride with thick boots and I have done this. The brake pedal adjustment is easy as well.

Milage varies with bike, area, state of tune, and rider style. It also gets better with breakin, mine improved quite a bit after 5K miles. You should get 80 - 90 miles before the fuel light with a stock bike, average riding.

I know what you mean about the fork over rough pavement, I had an ass pucker moment myself once when the fork just could not track over some patchwork and the bike did a little dance. I beleive its overdamped, especially in rebound and oil levels are inconsistant. I went to 5W oil, and with a bit more breakin time its decent, but nothing like an off road derived cartridge fork on a true SM. It cannot be revalved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts