Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm a total noob to the Ducati game, although I've ridden bikes for over 40 years. Just got an '09 HYM last Friday and would have more than 170 miles on it except for one thing... Dropped it in the parking lot at work and broke the shifter and the complicated mirror/turn signal arrangement on the left side.

I guess my question is this. I obviously need a new shifter, which doesn't look like any problem to switch out, and parts (or all) of the left side mirror, but do I have to go to the dealer to get these? The shifter is a POS cast aluminum thing which looks like you could break it with a hard shift, so I'd rather replace it with something decent if available.

With Harley's and BMW's and all the stuff I've ridden in the past, I could go about anywhere and get aftermarket stuff that was cheaper and better than the original, so wondering if I can do that on the Duck. Even the stock parts at something less than full dealer price would be helpful.

I'm going to keep the look by replacing the mirror section with stock, but the shifter could be anything.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
255 Posts
My dealer told me the gear lever was 200 bucks if I broke it while tweaking the tip.

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
I guess it depends on how much that you want to spend. I am sure that you can find an aftermarket shifter to replace that one, maybe even a folding one.

The mirror/signal/bark buster(ha ha) can be replaced with a more in depth mod. There is a thread on here that goes into detail about how others changed the set up. Mostly, they either didn't like the look or they didn't like the way the mirrors worked. You will need new bars, the sign/true bark busters, and new mirrors (on stems). They look good.

If you can find someone who is/has done this mod, they may sell you their stock set up--this is your cheapest way. Whatever you do, post it please.

·
Registered
226 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Half way there

Well, I bid on the mirror assembly - We'll see where that goes. REALLY appreciate the info.

Still up in the air about the shifter though. Not surprised it's $200, although still disappointed.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aftermarket?

I notice Varmit there said I might could get an aftermarket shifter, even foldable... Where might I get these? Entering Ducati Parts on Google doesn't return anything helpful (in the first page, anyway), so that question remains open.

Anybody know?

·
Home of vortex tuning
1,648 Posts
If I broke mine I'd find an aftermarket dirtbike aluminum folder and have it welded to the pivot.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I notice Varmit there said I might could get an aftermarket shifter, even foldable... Where might I get these? Entering Ducati Parts on Google doesn't return anything helpful (in the first page, anyway), so that question remains open.

Anybody know?
Foldable shifter, I don't think so. Which way would it fold? How would you up/downshift if it folded?

Foldable footpegs, yes, foldable shifter, no.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I didn't know how it would fold up either, but what I was really looking for is any sort of aftermarket shift lever so I don't have to pay $200 for the cheap crap that comes on the thing. Mostly looking to see if there's anyplace that offers this aftermarket stuff like most other bike marques have...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Foldable shifter, I don't think so. Which way would it fold? How would you up/downshift if it folded?

Foldable footpegs, yes, foldable shifter, no.
had a foldable shifter on my dirt bike for years. worked great. it folds toward the rear of the bike. that way it doesn't interfere with shifting at all.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
had a foldable shifter on my dirt bike for years. worked great. it folds toward the rear of the bike. that way it doesn't interfere with shifting at all.
Kinda like a kick start?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
The biggest problem finding a folding lever for the Hyper is the same as the Yamaha TTR125: finding one that fits and replaces the linkage from the lever to the shift shaft.

BBR and MSR have them for the TTR but I have no idea if they would fit the Hyper.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys. Couple of good links there. I'm getting the impression that there's not a lot of aftermarket available out there. I suppose that mostly depends on how many bikes there are out there of a particular kind, and the HYM is pretty rare, relatively speaking.

Kind of surprised this isn't more common, what with how easy mine broke.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I would go to a local machine shop and have one made. A fabricator could do this cleanly and without a fancy CNC machine for relatively low cost. With a black powdercoat finish it would look decent. May as well pull the rest of the aluminum stuff and powdercoat that while at it.

Out!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts