Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been shopping for my first bike and was told that you guys know everything I will ever need to know. I found a 1994 Ducati 900ss, 51,000 miles, and the starter isn't engaging but can be push started. I'm very mechanical so replacing a starter doesn't bother me. The guy is asking $1800 for it, but I was considering offering $1000 (maybe less, idk) with the age, mileage, and starter issue. What do you guys think?

Thanks

Richard

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I've been shopping for my first bike and was told that you guys know everything I will ever need to know. I found a 1994 Ducati 900ss, 51,000 miles, and the starter isn't engaging but can be push started. I'm very mechanical so replacing a starter doesn't bother me. The guy is asking $1800 for it, but I was considering offering $1000 (maybe less, idk) with the age, mileage, and starter issue. What do you guys think?

Thanks

Richard
Go for it at $1k maybe $1,500. $2k if it had the starter fixed. Mileage shouldn't be an issue and since you said your mechanical, you could probably do the service work. You won't find too many, if any under $2k or at least I haven't seen any that low.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go for it at $1k maybe $1,500. $2k if it had the starter fixed. Mileage shouldn't be an issue and since you said your mechanical, you could probably do the service work. You won't find too many, if any under $2k or at least I haven't seen any that low.
I did manage to find a 8 year old Monster for 3k but i think the 900ss might be a better idea for a first bike since it's a cheaper investment to start. Are there things I should watch out for on the 900ss?

"Older Ducati 900SS were notorious for snapping the head bolts in the engine and bending the bolts that push the rear spindle back when adjusting the chain. Clutch can be grabby and fail. Later motorcycles were better but don’t count on low cost trouble free motoring with a Ducati 900SS."
Ducati 900SS (1990-2002) - Ducati Motorcycle Reviews - MCN - Valid concerns?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts