Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there,

New member - new rider - from The Netherlands.

Registered here because i'm shopping for a Ducati Hypermotard. Seen/read some very good advice and tech tips! And so cool to see restoration threads, trip reports. Thnx guys. I'm pretty busy with wrenching and tuning on my cars and make a lot of the parts myself (welding, machining, design of suspension+engine parts), looking forward to doing small mods and maintenance to my (future) bike too!

Still thinking about which one..
Like the 'old' 1100, great engine, love the uncluttered air cooled look/feel. Not many for sale here and for the age $$.
The 796 seems like an excellent choice too, more than fast enough, lighter than the 1100, at the same time I like the high end parts on the other 2 models to drool over. Air cooled too! Even less for sale, good price usually.
The 821 seems to be much more high-tech, more refined from the factory. Available from low to high mileage, not much more $$ than the 1100.. Like that it has ABS. Same as the 1100, much much more power than I need!
Desert Sled, would satisfy my itch for offroading and seems like it is a really fun bike too!

I'll keep reading to find out more about the differences. In the end doing some test riding is the best! :grin2:

Need to find time and a place to test the different models. Currently riding an older Honda V2 loaner i'm fixing up as a trade for me using it. getting some miles under my belt and maybe not a bad idea to start out on a slower older bike. The one has almost 100K (miles!) on the clock! Suspension kinda shot, bike is too cramped for me. Having fun so its all good, thankful I can use it for this time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Welcome and congrats on being a soon-to-be Ducatista!

Desert Sled is in the Scrambler line-up, not the Hyper line-up, its cool and all, but more espresso and skinny jeans than the Hypermotard hooliganism you'll find in these parts (I kid-I kid).

If you're buying liquid-cooled go with a 939, much less documented electrical issues, I just bought one and love it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome and congrats on being a soon-to-be Ducatista!

Desert Sled is in the Scrambler line-up, not the Hyper line-up, its cool and all, but more espresso and skinny jeans than the Hypermotard hooliganism you'll find in these parts (I kid-I kid).

If you're buying liquid-cooled go with a 939, much less documented electrical issues, I just bought one and love it!
Thanks!

Yeah the Sled is really something different meant to include it in the list of bikes I like. I would like a desert sled based on a hypermotard better than the current one based on the scrambler.. oh well. I dont need the retro. Still very nice bike.

Good advice. Will look into it. I see the 939 on the 2nd hand market as well. Not in the market for something new at the moment.

I am kinda surprised by the way quite a bit newer and less used bikes are not that much more $$. High mileage bikes will be asking price of 5-6K for the 1100s. Lower/low mileage 821? 8-9K. Seems like a relatively small difference for how much newer those bikes are (and associated wear).

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,216 Posts
Hi there,
Still thinking about which one..
Like the 'old' 1100, great engine, love the uncluttered air cooled look/feel. Not many for sale here and for the age $$.
The 796 seems like an excellent choice too, more than fast enough, lighter than the 1100, at the same time I like the high end parts on the other 2 models to drool over. Air cooled too! Even less for sale, good price usually.
The 821 seems to be much more high-tech, more refined from the factory. Available from low to high mileage, not much more $$ than the 1100.. Like that it has ABS. Same as the 1100, much much more power than I need!
Welcome!

The 821 engine has more power, but that power is available at higher revs. So you have to ride fast to feel the thrill. You will find low priced 821s because many HM owners have complained about those models. The 939 may have those problems fixed. Time will tell.

On the other hand, both air cooled engines will make you smile at low revs but they are not so good for the track or at really high speeds.

My personal favorite is the 1100 engine. It makes your adrenaline flow at low revs. Neither the 796 or the 821 can provide as much low-mid RPM enjoyment.

When I bought my 1100 I was tempted to buy an 821 because it was the latest model. I chose the Terblanche designed 1100. I'm glad I did. I saved the extra bucks and got myself a second air cooled Duc later.

My recommendation: Ride all your options before making a decision!

Enjoy the hunting

1 - 4 of 4 Posts