Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There! I bought a new SC1000 today and I'm very excited! Been riding a Monster 696 for a few months and love it, but wanted a retro bike as well. I was put off by the ergos on this bike, but I figure it's something that can be modified. I see there's a buzillion different ad ons available, and I was hoping to get some advice on what I "really" need. I live in West LA, and would be happy to know some other SC owners here.

Thanks!

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
do not raise the bars, lower them, and get your body adjusted.

and welcome. :)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Welcome!

I've been considering going to clipon's for my GT. If you don't get accustomed to the ergos on your bike, maybe we can swap components.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome!

I've been considering going to clipon's for my GT. If you don't get accustomed to the ergos on your bike, maybe we can swap components.
Really?! So all this talk about the ergos being so bad is just talk?

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Fishinado said:
Really?! So all this talk about the ergos being so bad is just talk?
Absolutely :D

Regulars here are probably getting sick & tired of hearing (reading to be precise) me repeat myself in stating that the MH900e is not the torture rack many say it is, that the '06 Sport is actually quite comfy and that I have 600+ and 1,100+ mile days on the Hailwood and Sport respectively to back up that claim. From what I've read, the later Sports and the GT are even way more comfortable than the '06 model.

I will admit, though, that these bikes are no real fun for "droning along" on interstates and highways and when you get caught in stop & go traffic, you won't be overly happy either.

Welcome to the fold, congrats on your new bike, enjoy and let the mods begin.

RonB

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thought so! Didn't seem that unreasonable. I've heard about the tank and fuel hose issues, is there anything preventative that I should have the dealer do?

As far as mods, I'm changing out most of the plastic for billet, most in gold the rest in black. I haven't ordered pipes, is that a requirement from the get go? Anything else that would be a MUST have?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Low Clip-Ons

I have the high bars on mine and after riding my friend's Paul Smart all day today... I am installing the low clip-ons on the Classic...feels good to me!:)

PS- I've been riding my SC for over 2 years...it took me a bout 2 weeks to adjust to the ergos... piece of cake. I'm 5'8" and it is easy for me... I'M GOING LOWER NOW!

Maybe in 2 more years I'll put the clip-ons on the front axle....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

How low can YOU go?!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Welcome.

I bought a '08 SC and actually put on the lower '06 clip ons (thanks GT Rossi!) and couldn't be happier. Makes a big difference in the handling IMHO. Like the guys said, give it some time, get used to the bike.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm In Lawndale (near LAX). Would love to hook up for a group ride with fellow SC owners. You'll love this bike!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you for all the advice, and great to see so many SC owners in So CA! Would you locals please PM me with your contact info? I'll be happy to be the one to organize some rides, or perhaps an event or two with other Duc owners.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
sorry about pasting but ...it needs to be repeated

OK these bikes NEED better gearing they are set up for EPA noise and mileage etc

I run 14; 40 and get over 40 MPG I got 36 with 14:39 and she runs like a banshee!!
CHANGE THE GEARS it is SOOOOO much fun! some guys go 14/41 at least get the 14 up front or add two to the rear (down one in the front is like adding three to the rear but you don't need to change the chain!) I have 14/40 which is like adding 4 teeth to the rear. stock is 15;39

Also Ducati designs these engines to run with termis. the stock exhaust just plain sucks .
As far as I'm concerned consider the Termis as part of the purchase price along with Ducati ECU .
Also I got a huge increase in power (seems like it?) just by adding a K&N filter.

Stock suspension is marginal but cost a lot to fix it same with light weight wheels. none of these things will do anything to effect your reliability

SO: IMHO
Termis with DP ECU
14;40 gears
K&N
Three simple mods to make your bike run like it should. These are must do mods IMHO anything else comes after these

·
Registered
175 Posts
welcome!
agree with all the other posts - you'll quickly become accustomed to the ergonomics, but i agree my 08 Sport1000 is not suited to long-distance highway riding. i must admit i don't feel great after 2 hours of this type of riding, but then again, i'm not sure i would on many bikes other than a dedicated tourer. (i'm not getting any younger)

i very much enjoy it though in city traffic, no complaints.
and loads of fun on the twisties.

mods:
- there's a huge list, do a search and you'll receive some wise advice. but it all boils down to cashola $$ more than anything, the bike is fine as stock, but if you're prepared to spend money it will only get better.

here's something to consider in the fullness of time:

- forged alloy - light weight wheels (expensive but worth it)
- wasp TMSD (not cheap but worth it)
- new pipes/mufflers, gotta do it
- wasp tail chop (aesthetics only)
- sprocket gearing (cheap and 100% smoother riding)
- mirrors - consider replacing, as stock ones may rotate unexpectedly, you can buy rip-off bar ends on ebay cheap
- front forks - consider a 'kit' which will be cheaper than full replacement (i've not done this yet, maybe next year)

but most of all - enjoy the ride

·
Registered
115 Posts
Welcome.

Tell us what your bike has already so we can make some recommendations. Be warned,the mods list is long and pricey..........

Personally, I think very few of the mods are really necessary. It's mostly about preference.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts