Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

This is my first post on this forum.

I’ve had my eye on a SC1000 since ~1999 when I saw one, in passing, for a moment. Once I found out what in the H that amazing thing was, I’ve been searching.

Fast forward to 2017, and I finally, for the for the first time, got a 250 (Honda CRF250L) to learn to ride and develop good habits, etc. For various reasons, riding anything didn’t end up being a priority until about 2017.

So now it’s 2019, I have a bit more riding experience, and obviously my goal is to get the SC1000.

However... I won’t let false hubris and full-on desire get me killed.

So my queue on is, how stupid am I to consider a SC1000 having only ridden a 250 for a couple years.

Is there a way to downscale the torque and bhp for riders used to less power?

Thanks for any guidance.

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
If you restrict the throttle to not fully open you will restrict power without any map changes. If you restrict air going in you will lessen power as well but will change how the bike runs.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Hey guys,

I’ve had my eye on a SC1000 since ~1999 when I saw one, in passing, for a moment. Once I found out what in the H that amazing thing was, I’ve been searching.

Fast forward to 2017, and I finally, for the for the first time, got a 250 (Honda CRF250L) to learn to ride and develop good habits, etc. For various reasons, riding anything didn’t end up being a priority until about 2017.

So now it’s 2019, I have a bit more riding experience, and obviously my goal is to get the SC1000.

So my queue on is, how stupid am I to consider a SC1000 having only ridden a 250 for a couple years.

Thanks for any guidance.
That's quite a jump in engine size = power range. My opinion is an intermediate step to a 600- 750 cc bike, preferably a Ducati because Ducatis are known for their torquey quality. Many years ago i started out on a Monster 750 (promptly crashed it, should've started with a smaller bike) but haven't looked back (or accident) since. I'd buy a used mid range bike, even temporarily, and then jump to a liter bike. Just my opinion. I wouldn't tune (remap) down the bike or restrict the power. Take steps... IMHO, you've probably outgrown that 250cc and I outgrew that 750cc (for touring reasons, not enough to power acceleration with a loaded down 750cc and track days), the 1000cc is perfect, more than enough for street riding, long distance, and track; assuming around 100-150HP. Note that the stock SC is about upper 80HP (maybe at that). M795 (can be bought for much less, compared to the SC) might be the intermediate plan! But yes, the SC draws attention.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I don't see this as a problem the best form of power control is your right wrist. The fact
that you are concerned about the power jump seems to imply that you would use the
new found power wisely. We are not talking about going from your current ride to a 200hp
superbike. I owned a SC1000 for several years as well as an 1100 Hypermotard and
a 998 the SC1000 was by far the most mellow as far as power was concerned if you
use your head while riding you will be fine.

·
Registered
348 Posts
If you believe you have some self-control at all, then just do it. Don't waste money/time getting a step-up bike - 2 weeks after getting it, you'll be looking for something better - ie. the one you really want.

·
Registered
2008 Ducati Sport1000, GT1000
172 Posts
I would agree with the above comment. Don't waste your time and money with a in betweener bike and just get the SC. Seems like you have the self control and the cool head to not open up the throttle all the way right away. I went from never riding a motorcycle to riding a xs650 a few times and then purchased a GT1000. If you respect the bike and love it like most of us do then you'll be more careful in riding it. My advice, just buy the SC and take it slo around the block and surface streets and slowly gain confidence. Good luck, and as always, if you do buy it post pics.

·
Registered
534 Posts
My first street bike was a ZX6r, get the SC1000 if you find one and want one. The biggest thing when I got my first Ducati, was that it was SO damn slow compared to my Nina, and at low speed, super lurchy and THUMPY. It's that big V-twin. They aren't FAST bikes, and they have extremely controllable power...you'll be fine

·
Registered
423 Posts
My first bike was a 2006 SC1000 and honestly I was fine. No crashes and I loved it to bits. If you can control yourself you’ll be just fine. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone!!!! Given all the great advice on here, I’m going to jump to the SC1000 and just keep it super chill.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought a sport classic as my first bike and it's totally fine because it's such a great bike. I've never found it difficult to ride, the throttle is smooth and predictable, and it's super stable at speed. As long as you don't ride like a jerk, it's a forgiving bike that will help build your confidence. It's powerful, but you'd have to go out of your way to make it uncontrollable or dangerous. Even though it's light, it's not like some crazy sport bike that will struggle to keep the front wheel on the road. The only thing I wish it had for a beginner is ABS.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys,

Thanks for any guidance.
If you are the type of person that is asking if there is a way to "downscale" the power, then I don't think you'll get into trouble with one. Sport 1000's have great usable torque & horsepower on the road, but they are not overpowered.

·
Registered
89 Posts
since 1999??? :p

as a young un i went from cup bikes to a 750. its a big jump in weight n power n the biggest adjustment is in handling corners (keeping it in power) n stopping (engine braking) - but i believe coming from 250 you'd already be doing these things. you'll feel the 50kg or so difference in weight tho.

the only thing i'd watch out if i were u is the heavy clutch action (something i never encountered with japanese bikes) and the SC is terrible at low/town riding speeds (even after sprocket change) so expect signifcant adjustment.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I would second both of those things. The heavy clutch can be improved but not eliminated by a simple slave cylinder change, and most bikes have been done by now, but the awful low-speed running is a real pain in town, not helped by the on-off throttle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would second both of those things. The heavy clutch can be improved but not eliminated by a simple slave cylinder change, and most bikes have been done by now, but the awful low-speed running is a real pain in town, not helped by the on-off throttle.
Agree - using a G2 Throttle Tamer tube and adjusting the cable slack way down did wonders on the on-off throttle issue. 28mm clutch slave upgrade was also worthwhile.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Agree - using a G2 Throttle Tamer tube and adjusting the cable slack way down did wonders on the on-off throttle issue. 28mm clutch slave upgrade was also worthwhile.

@Eddie

is the change to an other type of throttle tube straight forward?

I bought the Corse Dynamics quick turn throttle tube some years ago but I have never installed it - yet.

Do I have to do a TPS adjustment after the change?

Are there anything I should bear in mind when I do the change to a quick turn throttle?

Ciaooo

Moller

·
Registered
2 Posts
So sorry I didn't seen this earlier, it's been a super crazy year for us here ... Take up all the throttle slack you can in the physical cable adjustment after installing the new tubes, but make sure you leave JUST enough play that when you move the handlebars from full left stop to full right stop, that it doesn't open the throttle any. Hope that make sense - if not message me and I'll walk you through it.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
A FatDuc O2 manipulator is a simple plug-in device that will allow you to adjust (richen) the low speed (sub-4000) running and thereby greatly smooth the throttle response. A big reason these bikes are jerky and rough at low speed is the terrible lean stock ECU programming- done for emissions, of course. If your bike doesn't have one of these already, or a Ducati Performance ECU, then I'd put it at the top of your must-have list. Of course, these bikes are no longer new and many have been modded a little or a lot, so you'll need to figure out your specific machine's needs. Could be you're lucky enough to get one that's nicely dialed-in and you can just enjoy the ride.

This forum is a great source for information, learn how to do searches because a lot of the original research and cures were addressed 10 or more years ago.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts