Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have no experience with road racing or on the track (hope to remedy this soon) but have gotten hooked on the MotoGP races lately. Watching the interviews, all these guys ever talk about is how the settings were good, settings were bad, tomorrow hope for better settings, etc. Obviously the suspension is important but what else are they playing with on these bikes?

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
162 Posts
Lot of stuff !!

There is a myriad of settings on their bikes to dial-in and your quiet correct about suspension being up the top of the list. The Front-End has several variables that can be altered to suit a riders 'feel' (Rake,Trail,offset). Tire pressure , Swing arm pivot points and length , Engine position in frame , Mapping of the fuel and the list goes on all work together to determine the feel of the bike as regards to Tip-in , Breaking stability , chatter , over or under steer and the list goes on again.... I am by no means an expert , far from it, and i hope someone else will chime in and throw a few more into the equation. So as you can see , the bikes have ALLOT of adjustable variables that need to be addressed in the 'set-up'.

·
Senior Italophile
865 Posts
Hello,

I have no experience with road racing or on the track (hope to remedy this soon) but have gotten hooked on the MotoGP races lately. Watching the interviews, all these guys ever talk about is how the settings were good, settings were bad, tomorrow hope for better settings, etc. Obviously the suspension is important but what else are they playing with on these bikes?

Thanks,
Scott

Most likelly they are talking about the settings on the Playstation 3 :D just kidding.

Clutch, brakes, throttle. steering angle, wheel base, tire pressure/compound, traction control. to name a few.

·
9,757 Posts
Some stuff that I can think of off the top of my head:

Springs
Preload
fork and shock valving
ride height
rake
trail
wheelbase
rear link
traction control and fuel mapping for different parts of the circuit
slipper clutch engagement
tire pressures
tire compounds
gearing/final drive ratios

and the list goes on.

Just goes to show how important a good crew is, and why top riders are constantly heaping praise on their teams.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts