Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding for 19 years and most of that was motocross racing. I currently ride and track a 2007 R1. I am looking into a Hypermotard or Hyper S already modded out for commuting couple 50 mile rides per week (all toll road and highway) w/ occasional trackdays. I will not keep my R1 if I get the Duc.
I am almost positive I will not miss my R1 because I am so comfortable with the Hyper riding position.
Questions: 1. There are a couple of modded S models for sale around Houston with slipper clutch, race seat, cams, full exhaust, ECU. Is this realistic for a commuter without having reliability issues? I take good care of my bikes and vehicles and will keep it serviced, nuts and bolts loctited and checked, etc.
2. Is a new base model a better decision. The S models I looked at are both under 1000 miles ridden.
3. I will eventually put exhaust and slipper clutch on anything I buy, what do you think?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I have been riding for 19 years and most of that was motocross racing. I currently ride and track a 2007 R1. I am looking into a Hypermotard or Hyper S already modded out for commuting couple 50 mile rides per week (all toll road and highway) w/ occasional trackdays. I will not keep my R1 if I get the Duc.
I am almost positive I will not miss my R1 because I am so comfortable with the Hyper riding position.
Questions: 1. There are a couple of modded S models for sale around Houston with slipper clutch, race seat, cams, full exhaust, ECU. Is this realistic for a commuter without having reliability issues? I take good care of my bikes and vehicles and will keep it serviced, nuts and bolts loctited and checked, etc.
2. Is a new base model a better decision. The S models I looked at are both under 1000 miles ridden.
3. I will eventually put exhaust and slipper clutch on anything I buy, what do you think?
I would work a deal on the loaded bike. In some cases you will save substantially in this market and you don't have the hassle of the install. You still get the factory warranty, so your protected there.

Out!

·
Registered
12 Posts

The Hypermotard is a bike for several miles because it has a good driving position and is very very manageable. Bye from Italy :D

·
Registered
236 Posts
i'd go the tricked out used Hyper S for sure as that's the route i went.
i've had the starter motor go bad since i owned the bike but getting it fixed under warranty was not an issue.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Commuting on the hyper

Greetings,

Once a week or so I ride about 70 miles each way to work (casual Friday) and the commute on the hyper is the highlight of my week. The riding position is great for the time period, the wind blast keeps me from seeking legal advice (after about 90, the wind blast seems to be a little much) and the ability to deal with changing traffic conditions rapidly is great.

My commute is into Boston from the western suburbs for what it is worth.

I have a Hyper S with full termi kit, nichols flywheel, DP race seat and down 1 on the CS sprocket. The bike is a blast to ride.

Best regards,

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all. After stopping by the local Ducati shop, I browsed the selection and I am leaning towards a 2009 1100 S, black. For 14500 it is the same price as the preowned 2008 models around town. The shop also has a black 2008 with race seat cams and Termi full exhaust but they want 17,000!!! What?? Its a "demo" and unless they drop the price to around 11000, Ill buy the new S and put a slipper clutch and Termi slip ons later.
I assume that everyone is out enjoying their bikes this weekend and not responding here, thanks to everyone for the advice.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If it is MY08 and has original plate holder, check has the warranty work been done to it, it is prone to failure resulting in random damage to your rear-wheel/swing arm.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome.
My neighbor was saying that he owned a Ducati, god knows when that was, and that he had so many problems blah blah its a piece and stay on Jap bikes.
Opinions?
I will take care of my Duc, will it take care of me?

·
Registered
236 Posts
i've had downtime from both my 848 and Hyper but things were fixed in around a week by the stealership and hey now i own a bunch of tools i didnt need before when i owned a jap bike... thats a good thing right.... i think...

i figured this is why many Ducati owners own 2 of them, so you have something to ride whilst the other is being fixed, that's my excuse anyway. :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Reliability

Greetings all,

I am a member of an off road club (we sponsor off road events and a couple of road rides each year) and I hear the same noise from club members related to Ducati reliability.

The BMW guys all have 80 to 100 K on their bikes and most have put some cash into their bikes from time to time.

The other Ducati owner has an ST2 and he has over 32 K on the clock and the only thing he has done is required maintenance.

A few of the guys have run big japanese tourers and from time to time, they also have put cash into the bike.

The bike whisperer (without over stating, this guy seems to be able to troubleshoot bikes by touch, feel and hearing) likes the jap bikes for ease of maintenance after removing interference, but once its apart, most of the mechanics in the club see no big problem with the air cooled ducs.

The water cooled ducs scare these guys as the 4V heads reportedly take allot of time to work the valves appropriately, but the time is not related to overcoming issues, rather it is related to more of everything to deal with.

My decision was made after looking into the real down time of most brands (and I have noted most guys will not tell you they bought a garage queen), taking a ride and then I was sold.

Best regards,

Joe

·
Registered
2 Posts
ducati HM maintenance in general??

Hey
I am living in Thailand and am looking to buy a HyperMotard myself. Ive never owned a ducati so im wondering if owning one will require constant maintenace and replacement parts if I use it for weekend trips only...I mean for instance in a country like Thailand the tax is huge on imported parts and bikes but I still remain undeterred in my efforts to get me an HM....

At any rate in choosing between the S and base model versions, I am wondering if the S requires only a lil more in maintenace and costs? Pretty much in general I'd just like to know if the HM is a demanding bike that will burn a huge hole in my wallet?:cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts