Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a few questions (after reading the FAQ, and searching...).

1. Lots of used SFS's have slip on Termi's. I want a full system. Can I buy the headers separately? Specifically, are the slip on mufflers the same as those supplied with a full system?

2. Are there differences between year models '09-'12?

3. What are the service intervals? Major milestones eg Valve adjustment, belt replacement?

4. Anything else I should look for on a low millage example? (One I've seen, with 15K KM {under 10K miles} has had 3 clutches {stock, aftermarket STM that "blew up" and Duc Slipper}, and the starter motor rebuilt! Normal?)

Can anyone ID/Comment on this clutch:

Cheers
Simon

·
Temporary greeter
23,076 Posts
I have a few questions (after reading the FAQ, and searching...).

1. Lots of used SFS's have slip on Termi's. I want a full system. Can I buy the headers separately? Specifically, are the slip on mufflers the same as those supplied with a full system?

2. Are there differences between year models '09-'12?

3. What are the service intervals? Major milestones eg Valve adjustment, belt replacement?

4. Anything else I should look for on a low millage example? (One I've seen, with 15K KM {under 10K miles} has had 3 clutches {stock, aftermarket STM that "blew up" and Duc Slipper}, and the starter motor rebuilt! Normal?)

Can anyone ID/Comment on this clutch:

Cheers
Simon
The full system comes with an ECU and mufflers that are the same as the slip ons. The only way you are going to find them separately is if you buy used. The exhaust is the same for all years of 1098 so far.

Here is a link to maintenance from the FAQ ;)

3 clutches in 10,000 miles says it was abused. I'd keep looking

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
465 Posts
2. The SFS has been pretty much unchanged throughout all model years - just color choices.

3. Service intervals are 7500 miles for the 1098, after the initial one at 600 miles. Dunno about 848.

4. Yeah, 3 clutches and a starter rebuild with those few miles was either abused or broken in some way. The only typical problems you should expect are a 3500-rpm dead spot in the power band - multiple solutions available, and the warping tank issue with ethanol fuel - looks like coating is the only possible solution right now.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Pass on that bike. Someone ran the sh!t out of it. Also, there is a 7,500 mile service. Verify it was done as it's a valve check/adjustment.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey thanks very much guys.

I suspect the current owner is not very knowledgeable. (at least that means all servicing is at a Dealer, better than SOME options)

The story is the first clutch was simply "upgraded" to a slipper (maybe STM), which failed. The Red Ducati Performance clutch (Non adjustable "street orientated" Slipper right?) was installed 1500km (950 Miles) ago.

I guess the failure could be from another reason, other than abuse. If I decide to travel 2hrs to inspect I'll check for other signs. EG I wouldn't expect the OEM drive chain to be unserviceable yet 15000km (9300miles). (would I?).

I don't know how/why you would abuse a starter motor. 1098 starter motors don't usually require rebuilds? (I've never had one fail on a Jap/Austrian bike.

So far I've failed (several times!?!) to download the manual from the kindly provided link. The info re Valve Adjustment at 7500 miles was very useful.

I guess the normal inspections – chain, brake discs/pads, oil condition, steering bearings (wheelie abuse). Anything Ducati/Streetfighter specific?
Thanks again

·
Registered
198 Posts
hold on... I think there is a slight difference between the pre expansion and "post" expansion tanks.

I believe the petrol tanks are slightly different from before '10 and after.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks B3nn

Ethonol fuel is easily avoided in Australia (for now)
I can't imagine anyone would use it in a Ducati.
Well, at least I hope not!

Simon Want's a Streetfighter.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi skypig. I bought a second hand Streetfighter in Adelaide a few months back. Can't answer your q's but I saw the one you are looking at on bikesales.com. It certainly has a lot of fruit, including radiator guards. Mine didn't and The bottom radiator looks crap. I would suggest asking to see/receive the original parts that have been replaced, especially the clutch cover. The owner might have sold the original exhaust (they are almost $2000 new as a spare part), but the clutch cover is almost worthless. Failure to produce the clutch cover might indicate it's been dropped. Same goes for the bar ends, levers and handlebars, radiator covers, seat. These are all items that would likely get damaged if a bike was dropped.

I put the Ducati comfort seat on a few weeks back, it's a fantastic investment.

As a comparison, I paid $17200 for a 2009 Streetfighter (non S model) in immaculate condition (except radiator) with 6000 km on the clock. $18800 for an s model with termi's and 15000km is very reasonable.

·
Registered
198 Posts
skypig, I think you should give this deal a miss. A deal similar to this will never be few and far between, patience will be rewarded!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Again, thanks for the thoughts/info.

Great tip re Clutch cover, crash damage evidence.

I really want an "S", I can no longer live without Öhlins.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts