Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm a newbie and I feel like this is a dumb Question! But I have been trying to do research on these forks and cant figure them out.

My Ohlins have FG 43 stamped on the bottom of the caliper mounts, But they have two blue lock nuts with a smaller dampener nut in the middle. Why are all the rest of the Ohlin's forks I see only have one blue nut on the top???

Which Forks are better? are the ones I have just older? and can I change the caps on my forks to the single nut style? It just looks so much cleaner! Thanks for your replies and being gentle with me! lol

This is what my forks look like, and they were on my 2002 998 when I got it

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Can't answer your question I'm afraid, but unless they're longer than normal then your front end is seriously low...

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
FG43's are older forks from the 916 eara superbikes. If yours is a 998, they were an after though from the previous owner. Also, they are very high in the triple....I would recommend lowering them considerably!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, this not actually my bike. just a picture i found online that look like my forks. My forks do not stick out that far.

@ Viper, why is it if I search FG43's they also come up with forks with the single nut on top? can i change mine to that?

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Same fork, it appears that he just double up on the locking nuts or change the top nut assembly. I've never seen an OEM Ohlins nor aftermarket Ohlins with a double nut set up. When I bought my RTs for my 999, Ohlins had mistakingly sent out a set FG43 for the 998. I persued the installation instructions and it appears that the cap uses a single nut set up. I would imagine if you called Ohlins USA, Hendersonville, NC....they could probably set you up with a new top nut assembly.

·
Registered
614 Posts
What's stamped on the tubes means nothing without knowing what catridges are inside. For example mine read showa but have 25mil Ohlins internals which crush the OEM Ohlins S model units. ;)

·
Registered
344 Posts
those are road and tracks. they are set the same as stock showa's. ie, the distance from the top of the triple to the center of the wheel (lock nut). they are longer forks so as to fit other bikes. you can... find someone with showa forks and measure theirs and then yours to make sure. here is a pdf. file with both fork tops

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
Thank you so much for that info, so I can potently just change the top nut?
It would appear from the Ohlins manual that those second set of nuts are supposed to be on those forks. Not sure I understand why you would want to change... is this mainly a cosmetic thing?

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
What type of Ohlin fork is it, OEM or aftermarket? Send a pic down to Ohlins USA and see if they have a top nut they can replace it with if it bothers you that much. Probably going to be expensive.....Prophet said thats the way they come.......interesting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, it is purely cosmetic. they were on the bike when I got it.. but they are not correct for the year of my bike is all.

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
Yes, it is purely cosmetic. they were on the bike when I got it.. but they are not correct for the year of my bike is all.
Well, to be sure they are not the same as the Showa's on the base 998, or the Ohlins on the R. These appear to be an upgrade that the previous owner installed perhaps? Regardless of how they ended up there, from everything I've read those are pretty good forks, definitely a step up from the Showa's that were on there originally.

I think they look good as is and I'd leave em alone myself...

·
Registered
445 Posts
Ducati manuals for the "R" model 998 shows those 2-nut fork tops on their ohlins, but all the Ducati "S" model Ohlins forks I've seen only have 1 nut.

Ohlins FG43 "Road and Track" forks (which are generic i.e. an aftermarket upgrade applicable to any bike and not made-for-ducati like the forks on ducati "S" models) have the 2 nuts on top also - at least on all the images I've seen on line. Pics of proper WSB ducati race bikes I've seen have 2 nuts on top too.

I've been told that Ohlins "Road And Track" forks are a "better" spec than the ducati "S" model Ohlins forks. Dunno if thats true but what does seems to be a logical conclusion is that your forks are not the ducati "S" forks but are aftermarket "road and track" (or maybe even high $$$$ "race spec") items.

Maybe this means they are "better" than the single nut jobbies and you should be be pleased to have them instead of concerned about how they look?

I've always believed it's much better to have 2 nuts than just 1 : )

PS: If they are aftermarket road and track items then they possibly are much longer than the Ducati "S" forks and possibly should stick up through the clamps high like is shown on your picture.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
That appears to be a pre-2005 Ohlins R&T Fork. The single top nut for preload adjustment was the next generation after this one.

There were minor changes internally to the bushing arrangement, and the lower castings were also revised, but they will function perfectly. My guess is that it would be impossible to discern a difference between those forks and the later, updated versions.

Those are certainly period correct, and I think look much better than the newer style.

·
Registered
71 Posts
What Full Spectrum said, Those are the earlier (Gen One?) R&T's and the double top nut mimics the style of the "real" racing Ohlins Forks of the day. In fact, that was the way you could tell the "better" R&T's as opposed to the "Built to OEM price" R&T's that came on, say, a 2000/2001 996S or SPS. They are a bit longer than the SHOWA and factory R&Ts by about 10mm (2 lines) if I recall.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Same fork, it appears that he just double up on the locking nuts or change the top nut assembly. I've never seen an OEM Ohlins nor aftermarket Ohlins with a double nut set up. When I bought my RTs for my 999, Ohlins had mistakingly sent out a set FG43 for the 998. I persued the installation instructions and it appears that the cap uses a single nut set up. I would imagine if you called Ohlins USA, Hendersonville, NC....they could probably set you up with a new top nut assembly.

The Ohlins FG320's on my old 998 had the twin top nut... I think all the R/T's had 'em

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the replies and information! I just have never seen these type of forks on anything pre 2001 so I guess I was just worried it wasn't correct for my bike. And If I do go to sell them you will be the first to know!

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
The Ohlins FG320's on my old 998 had the twin top nut... I think all the R/T's had 'em
Interesting....they are just the older model R/T fork top cap. I bought R/Ts for my 999 in 2008, they came with what appears to be a blue one piece nut/top cap.
I agree with everyone else, the two nut top cap look like the cool factory Corse Ohlins stuff. He can always get new nuts or the old ones anodized if it's an aesthetic issue. But the nuts have that well used "patina" appearance which is cool too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts