Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great board. Been lurking for a couple of weeks and gathering some great information. I've come up with some questions and wonder if you'd offer advice?

I've never owned or bought a motorcycle. I'm close to starting to negotiate for a 2006 749s. How has everyone approached buying a new bike? Here's some specific questions I've thought of so far-

1)Is there anywhere to find invoice prices for Ducatis? What has your experience been with dealers and starting at invoice and working up? Since Ducati dealers are few in my area I was thinking of emailing or calling approximately 6 different dealers within 2-3 hours drive. I've used this technique when buying an auto and it allowed me to buy at invoice. Realizing this situation will be somewhat different have you found dealers to be at all responsive to this type of bargaining?

2)How do you judge a dealership? How do you know if they have a strong (highly skilled) service dept? Do dealers mind servicing a bike bought from another dealer? Don't have any friends with bikes or know anyone with a Ducati.

3)What kind of depreciation can you expect when you ride off from the dealership? Is there a big hit?

4)What kind of discount could I expect if I find a new, untitled 2005 749s? By the way, does the 2005 749s have the adjustable foot pegs and tank? Other then that 2006 is just a carry over of 2005, right?

5)How much is a Terminogi (sp?)exhaust and does it change the whole dynamic of the power curve? Not thinking I need more power but want the improved sound. Ever try negotiating this in on a brand new bike?

6)I'm ANAL and METICULOUS about the things I buy. Do dealers have any inventory still in crates or are these bikes so limited that dealers will have their product out on the floor? I'd absolutely prefer a bike assembled after I negotiate my purchase. If I call dealers a couple hours away I fear they'll just tell me what I want to hear, "yeah we have a couple in crates blah, blah, blah......" I know I'm messed in the head so don't suggest a psychologist, ha, ha!

Thanks for your help and hopefully I haven't put you to sleep :sleep: ,
John

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
2,008 Posts
I've never owned or bought a motorcycle. I'm close to starting to negotiate for a 2006 749s. How has everyone approached buying a new bike? Here's some specific questions I've thought of so far-
I don't recommend buying a Ducati Superbike for your first bike. PLEASE, buy a conservative bike, go to a school, and ride the heck out of it for 9 months to a year. I believe, you're looking for trouble when buying a Superbike for your first experience. Buy a Monster or a Supersport instead. Now, with that said....

1)Is there anywhere to find invoice prices for Ducatis? Just call everyone. What has your experience been with dealers and starting at invoice and working up? Since Ducati dealers are few in my area I was thinking of emailing or calling approximately 6 different dealers within 2-3 hours drive. I've used this technique when buying an auto and it allowed me to buy at invoice. Realizing this situation will be somewhat different have you found dealers to be at all responsive to this type of bargaining?
Margins are VERY slim on the bikes. You may be able to get $500 off invoice. Remember, Ducati's are not mass produced. You're buying a very exclusive bike here.

2)How do you judge a dealership? How do you know if they have a strong (highly skilled) service dept? Find a local on-line club and ASK. Do dealers mind servicing a bike bought from another dealer? NO
Don't have any friends with bikes or know anyone with a Ducati. Too Bad. Great Folks!

3)What kind of depreciation can you expect when you ride off from the dealership? Minimal---You're buying a Ducati, not a Japanese bike

4)What kind of discount could I expect if I find a new, untitled 2005 749s? By the way, does the 2005 749s have the adjustable foot pegs and tank? Other then that 2006 is just a carry over of 2005, right? Don't know. Call Mark at Duc Shop and Jason at Section 8. You'll get honesty and great prices from both. They will ship you the bike.

5)How much is a Terminogi (sp?)exhaust and does it change the whole dynamic of the power curve? Yes. Not thinking I need more power but want the improved sound. Ever try negotiating this in on a brand new bike? YES Would definately negotiate the pipe into the deal. Must have for Duc's. You'l just get a better price on the pipes if you package them into the deal

6)I'm ANAL and METICULOUS about the things I buy. THEN BE SMART AND START WITH ANOTHER BIKE. Do dealers have any inventory still in crates or are these bikes so limited that dealers will have their product out on the floor? SOME... Prefer a bike assembled after I negotiate my purchase. If I call dealers a couple hours away I fear they'll just tell me what I want to hear, "yeah we have a couple in crates blah, blah, blah......" I know I'm messed in the head so don't suggest a psychologist, ha, ha!
BUY A DIFFERENT MODEL...BE SMART, NOT DEAD

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
i'm not going to give you the song and dance about a first bike.but know this,a ducati is a bike that wants the rider to tell it what to do,and if your not on your game your gonna run out of road.that said you should but your efforts into finding a dealer you trust and a tech who you trust.having those will more than make up any savings you get at somewhere.and i have not met a duc guy thats not anal,so don't think your special

·
Registered
8 Posts
Stock

Son
Take from a fast older man. Leave whatever you buy stock except tires and brakes. It will take a while for for your skill level to be anywhere near overriding even a supersport. My first Ducati was a 900 ss, took my first track day on it. More fun than a date with Brook Shields when she was 17.. but I digress. Do not spend money on modifications. Spend on books, (Sport riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch is very good) a riding school, (Keith Codes Superbike school is superb). Get good leathers!!! Get used to the idea that this is a fun but dangerous activity. It is more brainwork and subtle than you realize and more fun than you can imagine. Leave noisemaking to the kids with something to prove, or for later when you have nothing to prove. Learn to be thoughtful, aware and smooth. Fast will come in it's own time. One thing for certain. Worry less about what you are going to pay for one of these and spend more time thinking about the discipline and thought needed to ride ANY motorcyle safely. I would start with a Supersport and work up. :eek:

Tobago Bob
Flight Instructor
Motorcycle Porsches and aircraft. Is there anything else? :D

·
Registered
284 Posts
If you are going to buy a brand new ducati as a first bike, then please do this prior.

1. Learn how to ride. Take at least the MSF course and get your licence.

2. Buy some decent gear. This includes a quality helmet, leather jacket, leather gloves and motorcycle boots.

Personally, I think you shouldn't buy a ducati superbike as a first bike...but it's your decision and your money.

And finally.......Watch this guy to see what the depreciation is on a ducati as it leaves the dealership, with a newbie rider:
Click below.
http://www.uponone.com/videos.php?id=91

·
Registered
184 Posts
Oh man that video is funny.
and I agree with not getting a ducati as a first bike for the fact you are going to drop it, and fixing them isnt cheap. but as said before your money do as you please.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The first *new* bike I bought was a 749 Dark. The first bike I bought was a used, but I only kept it for a few months. Everyone has an opinion in re: what bike you should and should not buy for a first bike - that is a good thing. Just make sure you are willing to accept the responsibility and costs that come with owning a Duc. Do I regret buying my Duc as my first new bike? Hell no. Did I regret it after I had to pony out some cash to fix some damage which was more expensive then if I bought another bike? Hell no. :D

1) From what I learned buying my first bike (Duc) there isn't much of a mark up on these bikes (compared to the auto world). That being said the MSRP is a good place to start if we are talking about a new model year bike. Usually dealers will try and tack on extra fees (crate & setup, etc.). If you play your hand right you can usually get most of those fees dropped and maybe a little off the bike. When I bought mine I called every Duc dealer in a 2h driving radius. It is hard to get them to deal on the phone, but if you can convey that you're serious and you have a little luck you can get a price out of them on the phone. At least I did 99% of the time, although sometimes it took 2 calls. Also, you will most always be able to get a better deal on the previous model year if there is a newer one out or coming out. That's why I went for a 05 when the 06 started to ship. ;)

2) Ask local riders.

3) I am not sure, but I have heard Ducs retain their value well if kept in good condition.

4) Not sure.

5) Not sure.

6) So am I. Out of the 5 or so dealers I called I think one still had one in a crate or so they said. Sometimes they do sometimes they don't. It doesn't really matter if it is in a crate or not (it could actually be sitting in the crate, but damaged from shipping for all you know), but I also realize telling you this doesn't really matter if it is what you want. Heh.

Before you hit the road solo take the MSF course and buy some good gear. Those are two of the most important things you can do! Keep us posted.

·
Registered
610 Posts
racedfila749 said:
Oh man that video is funny.
and I agree with not getting a ducati as a first bike for the fact you are going to drop it, and fixing them isnt cheap. but as said before your money do as you please.
I feel sorry for the poor chump... My first bike is a super and I have one of the greatest bikes out to date. I'm also 27 and feel that with age comes maturity and as well a small amount of wisdom.... ride with your feet draging. As you can tell
one) this person thought it was a horse and tried grabbing the wrangs and giddy upped!
two) the bike should have been placed outside (and not on a slant preferably) to avoid distractions like driving out of a garage.
third)Well [email protected]#t happens. But not to all of us.

BTW, Motorcycle Saftey Foundation should be prerequist to all people buying a new bike.

·
Premium Member
8,730 Posts
TobagoBob said:
Son
Take from a fast older man. Leave whatever you buy stock except tires and brakes. It will take a while for for your skill level to be anywhere near overriding even a supersport. My first Ducati was a 900 ss, took my first track day on it. More fun than a date with Brook Shields when she was 17.. but I digress. Do not spend money on modifications. Spend on books, (Sport riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch is very good) a riding school, (Keith Codes Superbike school is superb). Get good leathers!!! Get used to the idea that this is a fun but dangerous activity. It is more brainwork and subtle than you realize and more fun than you can imagine.

My first Ducati was a 900SS. With Ohlins shock and Diablo Super Corsas, it was very capable on the track, a lot of fun, but eventually not fast enough for me. I got tired of being passed on the straignts by 600s. I bought a 916 and this was a little better, but not good enough. I bought an 05 600RR and put a full system and PC on it. This bike screamed, I was happy with the power and handling. However, I became more and more aggressive with it, on the track and street. Very soon after I crashed it hard on the street and almost killed myself. The Honda was totalled and the wife got the insurance check. Thank God I still have the 916 in the garage. Someday I'll be back on the bike, but with no ambitions to get another rocket bike. My advice: ride within your limits and stay there, it takes a long time to get good and most crash because they become over confident too soon.

Like what others are recommending here and the quote from Tobago Bob above, especially the words: "this is a fun and dangerous activity, it is more brainwork and subtle than you realize and more funthan you can imagine"

Good luck finding your bike and if its a 749S, so be it. I would consider a used one and put a full system on it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
And finally.......Watch this guy to see what the depreciation is on a ducati as it leaves the dealership, with a newbie rider:
Click below.
http://www.uponone.com/videos.php?id=91
That was actually on a test ride during the dealer's Demo Days. No less painful but it WAS a new rider. So much so that the dealer even lent him gear to go on the test ride.

Here are my comments on your potential bike purchase:

Great board. Been lurking for a couple of weeks and gathering some great information. I've come up with some questions and wonder if you'd offer advice?

1)Is there anywhere to find invoice prices for Ducatis?

A) Rather than try and work the dealer on the price of the bike out the door, I focused on building a relationship with my dealer for the long haul. I know I will have my bike for quite a while and figured I would rather pay a little more up front and save more on service/accessories bit by bit over the total ownership of the bike. To date I have saved MUCH more on accessories and work and labour than I EVER would have if I'd just hit them to drop the freight and PDI charges.

2)How do you judge a dealership? How do you know if they have a strong (highly skilled) service dept? Do dealers mind servicing a bike bought from another dealer? Don't have any friends with bikes or know anyone with a Ducati.

A) I hit up local Ducati owners and members of different forums as well as asked the dealer for references for customers, both service and sales. The dealer I ended up going with was very inviting when I first visited, took the time to double check that the 749 was the bike I really wanted for my riding style etc. They showed me around their service department, introduced me to everyone, etc. What was the clincher for me was that when I visited the dealer, there were a number of people unloading Hondas, Suzukis etc to have service work done on them and I asked them about it and they all said even though there were Honda dealers etc, they wouldn't trust their machines to anyone else but the service staff at this dealer.

3)What kind of depreciation can you expect when you ride off from the dealership? Is there a big hit?

A)Can't really answer that one as I don't want to sell mine and don't have any intention of doing so.

4)What kind of discount could I expect if I find a new, untitled 2005 749s? By the way, does the 2005 749s have the adjustable foot pegs and tank? Other then that 2006 is just a carry over of 2005, right?

A)Again can't answer that but most dealers are willing to deal on previous year's models.

5)How much is a Terminogi (sp?)exhaust and does it change the whole dynamic of the power curve? Not thinking I need more power but want the improved sound. Ever try negotiating this in on a brand new bike?

A) The stock pipes don't have that "Ducati thump" to them so that is something I would try and budget into the price of the bike. The dealer will probably be able to give you a good price as that is the most common starting accesory I think. As for other accessories, I would bow to the suggestions of the other members on the board. Spend the money on learning to ride your bike better. Performance riding schools, appropriate gear etc are all more important than a blingy item on your bike.

6)I'm ANAL and METICULOUS about the things I buy. Do dealers have any inventory still in crates or are these bikes so limited that dealers will have their product out on the floor? I'd absolutely prefer a bike assembled after I negotiate my purchase. If I call dealers a couple hours away I fear they'll just tell me what I want to hear, "yeah we have a couple in crates blah, blah, blah......" I know I'm messed in the head so don't suggest a psychologist, ha, ha!

A)Depending on the size of the dealership, stock may be out on the floor or in crates. If you specifically want a crated bike, then you'll have to talk to the dealer directly on that.

Thanks for your help and hopefully I haven't put you to sleep :sleep: ,
John

Good luck with your purchase and hope you have many years of happy, incident free riding!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
[I]Damn the comments have come so fast that as I typed up response on and off at work most of this stuff has been covered.[/I]

Great points that are very well taken especially the books to read :) .

I’ve done a good amount of trail riding, very limited motocross experience, taken a two week motorcycle safety course, passed test at end of class to receive OH motorcycle license, ridden a Suzuki Gs? 500 a few times and a about a 45 minute drive on a Kawasaki ZXR? 750. I’ve also competitively raced a 125cc water cooled kart for the past 3yrs (maybe not relevant….but things happen fast on the track). Have always wanted to get a bike since college but parents would never allow. Now I’m in my early 30’s and giving this very serious consideration.

Quick comment about two street bikes I’ve ridden –
The Suzuki was pretty boring as I went through the gears on my first time on bike. From past experience the snap of a Honda CR250 two-stroke was way more intoxicating.
The Kawasaki experience was about 10yrs ago. Only one experience on this bike and I don’t think I ever exceeded 8500-9000rpms as I had a very HEALTHY respect for this bike. Just as this bike wanted to scream :eek: I was grabbing another gear (shortshifting).

Could care less if I ever rode the Suzuki again but I’ve never forgotten the fear that the Kawasaki put into me. That fear, relatively speaking, is what made the experience exciting and attracting :D . If I buy a new bike it would either be a Japanese 600 or the 749s. From what I’ve gathered on the web these bikes are about equivalent with the 600 having edge on hp and the Duc an edge on torque. Not expecting to ring all the performance this bike can give but I do like for the following reasons –
1st - Sound
Tie 2nd - Tie between style and exclusivity
Distant 3rd - Performance
Maybe this makes me a poser :alien: but I think it’s just that I’m a gearhead and race fanatic. F1, MotoGP, WRC, ALMS, AMA motocross/supercross, World Superbike, what do you want to talk about? This attracts me to performance oriented autos and bikes but doesn’t make me expect or dream of being Rossi.

I’m the first to admit that it will be quite a long time before I ever get close to the performance of what this bike can offer. And even when I think I’m there, I’m probably only getting 60-70% out of the bike. I understand I’m making a leap by buying this bike but I do think I have some decent coordination skills and somewhat relevant experience. Maybe I’m making a bad decision by assuming I can grow into this bike and not get bit!? My biggest hold up over the past 10 yrs and right now is fear of other motorists on the street knowing that no matter how defensive I ride…………

As far as negotiating any bike purchase I’m assuming that a Ducati has more mark-up then a Japanese bike. Also I don’t know if a bike dealer receives a hold back from the manufacturer like on automobiles. I'm assuming a dealer realizes more recurring revenue/profit in servicing my bike, riding gear sales, etc. that I might not need to pay sticker for the bike unless demand severely outweighs supply. I saw chatter on this board that one year old 999’s could go for $2-3k off sticker. These were brand new untitled bikes, no? Not trying to be unreasonable just to make a more informed decision. Best case scenario would be to buy locally since that's where service will get done. Thanks and more feedback please.

John

P.S. Good tip about trying to catch people bringing their bikes in for service as that is probably a great clue to the overall dealer experience.

M

·
0 Posts
As far as I know a 2006 749S retails for about $14,995.00. I think I got a pretty good deal at $12,995.00. Hope that helps

Regards,
Rob

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
First of all, welcome. You will get a lot of "wisdom" around here. For instance -

KRG said:
A) Rather than try and work the dealer on the price of the bike out the door, I focused on building a relationship with my dealer for the long haul. I know I will have my bike for quite a while and figured I would rather pay a little more up front and save more on service/accessories bit by bit over the total ownership of the bike. To date I have saved MUCH more on accessories and work and labour than I EVER would have if I'd just hit them to drop the freight and PDI charges.
Truer words were never spoken! I have been buying bikes from the same BMW/Ducati dealership since 1993. I have never had a bad deal or a bad trade. Could I have gotten a cheaper bike somewhere else? Maybe. But I have established a relationship with this dealer and I know that I am always getting a fair deal. What's more, if I need service he can almost always "work me in" and the parts guy will give me good (fair) prices on the gear/accessories that I buy.

I can't tell you what "first" bike to buy. That's up to you. But whatever you decide, find a dealership that you can stick with. It will pay off in the long run.

And ride safe.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bokolondon, when it comes down to motorcycles it's what your heart desires not what your brain advises. These are toys created for human enjoyment, and like any other brand new toy, you always want another one, better and newer. These are fine machines today, enjoy today. Tomorrow there will be better ones, I am looking forward.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
montducati said:
As far as I know a 2006 749S retails for about $14,995.00. I think I got a pretty good deal at $12,995.00. Hope that helps

Regards,
Rob
Montducati,

WOW! With you being the first in this thread to post real numbers I am surprised at your price. Unless I'm misjudging the prior posts I wouldn't have thought $2,000 off a 2006 was possible.

Can you elaborate? Was $12,995 out the door, no other fees, except tax? Don't shock me more and tell me tax was included :eek: ! Do you know the invoice price? Did you start negotiations offering even less than $12,995?

Great info, thanks.
John

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Frigg'n awesome video :D ! I love how he gases it more as he hops the curb!!! The two video links have me thinking, could I be the next idiot entertaining this board :think: ?

John

·
Registered
231 Posts
When I was at the BMW/Triumph dealer during a demo ride day, I was going to try a Tiger and there was a guy going on and on with the salesguy about how he hadn't ridden in 20 years and I could tell he probably had only taken the MSF BRC course and was looking for a first bike. He gets on a 1150RT and I'm next to him on the Tiger and the demo ride leader is on his personal 1200GS. So I'm smart enough to let this guy go ahead of me and he goes and pops the clutch and flies into someone else's SUV parked about 30 feet away. I always believed Clint's excellent advice: a man's gotta know his limitations.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts