Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
they are good for a specified mileage --OR time, an example-I have a 91 907ie, I have owned it for about 10 years-when I got it the belts had just been replaced. I didnt ride the bike for about 6 years ( I was trying to keep the miles low ) -( I have since rethought that lol) about 4 months ago I decided to get it ready and start riding it again. --I loosened the belt tensioners and by hand started pulling the belts off. ---They torn & I was not yanking on them--one of them tore in half. --Nuff Said

Reactions: Monster4Lee

·
Registered
321 Posts
This may be beyond my mechanical understanding but what would have happened that the belts would go bad just sitting in the garage for 4 years?
I'm not 100% sure which question youre asking here, so here's two answers.

The belts are made of rubber and kevlar, which could degrade over a certain amount of time. On my generation Multistrada it was (and is) two years. Water-cooled had that extended to five years. This has something to do with the diameter of the cams, better tech, etc.

If the belts were to break the valves would meet the pistons and bend/break them instantly because there's no cam chain, just the belts. Rebuild needed afterwards.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
The belts are good for a specific mileage -OR time which ever comes first. --Example I have a 91 907ie that I have owned for about 10 or 11 years --when I purchased the bike the belts had just been changed. I rode it a little for a couple of years but very little --I didnt want to put many miles on it ( I have since re-thought that idea) but the bike sat for about 6 years without being ridden. --About 4 months ago I decided to do a full service and start riding her again, --So I loosened the belt pulleys & started pulling the belts off. They tore and I was not jerking them around hard-1 of them tore in half--Nuff Said--if a belt breaks you could be looking at a complete top end rebuild, It's not worth the risk

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
WTF just happened--why the hell did that post 3 times

Reactions: Xyst

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
The gremlins are at work lol

Reactions: Xyst

·
Registered
396 Posts
Get the belts done, service both and keep them and ride both for a year.
Decide then which one is going.
You'll get similar money for the Pikes Peak if sold tomorrow or in 2022.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
This may be beyond my mechanical understanding but what would have happened that the belts would go bad just sitting in the garage for 4 years?

I'm 5'3" I've ridden a GS1200, easy enough but i didn't like the bulk in front of me and it's rather top heavy, if it gets away from you it will land on a cam cover, get some BMW plastic covers for those, they're no good in a real spill but for a walking speed tip over they're a god send.
Try the Multi, you really need to know what you're letting go before you decide to, they really are that good, even a shorty can manage it but if you do like it a low seat isn't a huge investment.

So to do that you need to replace the belts, IT'S A MUST! before you even think about starting it, they rot, they crack and it's worse when it's left alone for long periods of time, you say 4 years? if it's a 2012 model were the belts done in 2017/18 then? if so that makes sense as they have a 5 year life span. If that's the case then they, by rights, still have a year of life left in them, wouldn't hurt to visually inspect them at a minimum though.....

FOR THE RECORD HERE, i run my belts to 5 years on everything, genuine belts, never had an issue, but if they do let go remember both the pistons and valves occupy the same space at different times, broken belt= smashed engine.

I'm with some of the others, get both sorted and ride them, try them out and decide for yourself, it won't cost much to make both road ready even if you do it one at a time, you owe it to yourself, it really is a golden opportunity.

I can also see the vultures circling ready to snap up that pikes peak, if you decide to sell it fair enough, you will get better money for a running road ready bike anyway so......

·
AARP Reject
2,932 Posts
Definitely ride them both before deciding. Personally, I would keep them both if the deal was that good but for me deciding is easy between these two because they are so different. Riding is what it takes. You will either find the Ducati's lightness and responsiveness intoxicating or you will gravitate to the BMW for its unflappable nature on the road and considerably more developed comfort features. Handling of the two is very different, with one being steady eddy and the other being a sports bike on stilts. If you're like me, the Ducati will be a refreshing departure from the overtly heavy by comparison touring nature of the BMW. One is fine dining, the other is comfort food. My Ducati has had more niggles than my BMW but in the end, they both cost about the same to keep running. Doing the routine stuff on the Ducati used to scare me off but the longer I've owned it, the more comfortable I've become working on it. I say you can ride it without the belt service. Manufacturers are unbelievably conservative when it comes to timing belts and these bikes have been well maintained and kept out of weather, a huge advantage. Love that PP. It's the best looking Multi they have made yet IMnotHO. It's a rare opportunity, that one, but of course they both are. As we've said, these are not collectible but if there is a 10-12 Multi that ever is, that's the one. You'll want to service either of course depending on what you keep but I can see no harm in running the Ducati long enough to get a sense of what it is, and same for the BMW. Don't fret too much over ride height. The Ducati's narrowness makes up quite a bit for the altitude. They're not particularly difficult to straddle. Do all your pre-flight checks and despite the assurance from the dealer, look the tires over carefully, check inflation like always etc. Then explore the differences, ride and decide. I bet it won't take long to see how different and decide what kind of use and ride is most important to you.

BTW, I'm older than you are. I know this because I'm older than everybody.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
I wouldn't recommend buying either of them. You are not going off-road. Why buy an off-road bike, then? I'd look for a used R1100RS or R1150RS with low miles. They can be had very cheap. Or look for a low mileage R1200RS (good luck finding that). The R1100/1150RS bikes won't challenge your inseam as much as the GS or the Duck. Walking away from that "great deal" also means that you won't have to deal with selling off one of them. With the savings from buying a used RS, treat it to a full service at the BMW dealer and ride it in confidence.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Felix's post reminded me that today is Tuesday which means you've made the decision or not on whether to buy them!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Just got back from the garage where the bikes are stored. Yep, I bought them both!

A couple of updates. First, she was off a bit on the mileage. Once I realized the key fob was dead and put a new battery in the bike display lit right up. The odometer reads 1183, not 600 as she remembered but still pretty low. Second, after talking to a couple of service centers they felt that with the low mileage and the fact it has been stored in a climate controlled garage (heated and A/C), fuel stabilizer, etc that it would be ok to start it. And it cranked on the first push of the starter and while i mostly just let it idle (couple of twists up to 3000 rpm) it really sounded great. Much deeper and more powerful sounding when compared to the GS. (If I can figure out how I’ll post a short video I took with the sound.)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Just got back from the garage where the bikes are stored. Yep, I bought them both!

A couple of updates. First, she was off a bit on the mileage. Once I realized the key fob was dead and put a new battery in the bike display lit right up. The odometer reads 1183, not 600 as she remembered but still pretty low. Second, after talking to a couple of service centers they felt that with the low mileage and the fact it has been stored in a climate controlled garage (heated and A/C), fuel stabilizer, etc that it would be ok to start it. And it cranked on the first push of the starter and while i mostly just let it idle (couple of twists up to 3000 rpm) it really sounded great. Much deeper and more powerful sounding when compared to the GS. (If I can figure out how I’ll post a short video I took with the sound.)
Congrats on the purchases! Give us more details on the deal/steal and....... have you decided which one to keep?

Post us pictures/videos!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
See if this link works. Short video of start up. Let me know how it sounds.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
I had decided trailer it to the nearest Ducati service shop (probably Greenville S.C. or maybe Charlotte) to get all the service updated, new belts, new battery and maybe put on new tires (but the current ones actually look great) and then ride it once, just to convince myself it‘s more bike than I need, then keep the GS and list the MS. But neither dealership has a service appointment available for at least a month. Not sure what to do now. But I’ll take the GS to Asheville and get the basic service done and it’s ready to ride.
Here’s a few more pictures I took today. If y’all notice anything out of whack let me know.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
I wouldn't recommend buying either of them. You are not going off-road. Why buy an off-road bike, then? I'd look for a used R1100RS or R1150RS with low miles. They can be had very cheap. Or look for a low mileage R1200RS (good luck finding that). The R1100/1150RS bikes won't challenge your inseam as much as the GS or the Duck. Walking away from that "great deal" also means that you won't have to deal with selling off one of them. With the savings from buying a used RS, treat it to a full service at the BMW dealer and ride it in confidence.
I had a 2006 GS and it was my favorite bike. It was a better touring ride than the Harley Low Rider, the Harley Road King, the R1150R, the K1200S which proceeded it. Even though I never took on anything worse than a few dirt and gravel roads it was just an awesome road bike. I would also describe my riding as pretty laid back, which is why I’m thinking the Ducati is more than I can appreciate.

·
Registered
321 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
The tires do look good indeed, but I suggest checking the markings to understand their production date. Most likely they're the original tires the bike came with and this means they're around 10yo, which I'd say it's past due for replacement. Most people say 5 years is the maximum you should have tires for.

Reactions: motoman2

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
Both are great bikes. However, If you are familiar with the GS and have been 10yrs away from riding, probably stick with that. I had a similar situation 8yrs out of riding and got back on a GS. Great experience, great touring all rounder bikes.
I am now looking at a Ducati but more a superbike model. I think I will always keep the GS for adv touring.
Hope it helps.
Best,
Dave

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Although the Ducati is just a awesome looking (and sounding) bike and I’m very tempted to ride it, I pretty much agree that I should keep the familiar GS and let the MS go. So I’ve got it scheduled for late July to trailer it down to Greenville, SC to get all the catch up service, new battery, etc and maybe new tires. Sounds like maybe just over $2k worth of wok. I’ll them put it out on the classifieds as essentially a “new” 2012. Maybe I’ll put a few miles on it while waiting ;) The question y’all could help me with is if you think there are folks out there that would want to do this kind of service work themselves. If so would it be worth listing it now, before the service, at a lower “as is” price?
Thanks again for all the advice.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts