Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
I wouldn't be worried about the reliability, aside from some teething issues with the first year those 1200 Multis have a solid track record. Something you may want to consider if you decided to keep and ride it is availability of replacement parts. It's a limited edition of a 9 year old bike. Every panel on it is unique to the Pikes Peak version, and I'd be willing to bet that by now, some of them are in short supply. A garage tip over could turn in to a major problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I wouldn't be worried about the reliability, aside from some teething issues with the first year those 1200 Multis have a solid track record. Something you may want to consider if you decided to keep and ride it is availability of replacement parts. It's a limited edition of a 9 year old bike. Every panel on it is unique to the Pikes Peak version, and I'd be willing to bet that by now, some of them are in short supply. A garage tip over could turn in to a major problem.
Hadn’t considered that. Good point.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Riding a 2008 Air-Cooled multistrada currently... this is all too real for me already... and it isnt even a pikes peak.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
It's just paintwork, The law says parts have to be available to 10 years i think??? but really, decals can be reproduced if they have to be and there are plenty of decent painters that can repair to the original standard with no issues.

For what the OP wants to do, the Multi would be my recommendation hands down, while the GS looks to be the "sensible" choice now, pushing that weight around and the dull flat twin engine (perfect for touring, no doubt) would become tedious and just work before long, day rides, short tours, they are Multi rides and while yes, belts are an issue today (5 year interval) desmo valve service is a long way away and everything else between them service wise is the same or easier on the multi (no paralever)
Bikes are mostly bought with the heart, because they are toys to be enjoyed, you can ride a GS everyday, sure, but with the choice of that or a PP Multi why would you want to?

Ask me how i know.....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Y’all are a wealth of info but it’s not making the decision any easier!
I mentioned earlier that I’m a bit on the short side (inseam barely 30 inches). I could only tip toe my old GS (standard suspension and seat) but did fine with the flamingo stance at stops. It’s been over a decade since I rode and I’m definitely not as young as I was so the idea of the factory lowered GS feels reassuring. The MS on the other hand looks really tall (didn’t sit on it yet cause didn’t realize at the time she was gonna offer up a package deal) and at least appears to have a higher CG. Would anyone caution a shorter senior to be wary of the taller MS?

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Would anyone caution a shorter senior to be wary of the taller MS?
I think someone said above the Duc CG is lower?
The seat height is what I'd be thinking about with my short inseam.
Find one you can try, at least sit on, and see.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I dont remember the mileage on the BMW, but if it's close to 600 miles you need to do a 600 mile service plus annual, make sure the ABS system is flushed completely ---And change the tyres--no matter what that other person said--over 5 years change them

·
Registered
321 Posts
Y’all are a wealth of info but it’s not making the decision any easier!
I mentioned earlier that I’m a bit on the short side (inseam barely 30 inches). I could only tip toe my old GS (standard suspension and seat) but did fine with the flamingo stance at stops. It’s been over a decade since I rode and I’m definitely not as young as I was so the idea of the factory lowered GS feels reassuring. The MS on the other hand looks really tall (didn’t sit on it yet cause didn’t realize at the time she was gonna offer up a package deal) and at least appears to have a higher CG. Would anyone caution a shorter senior to be wary of the taller MS?
I don't know if there's reason to be wary of it, that's up to you. But, the Pikes Peak model IS taller than the normal models. If you plan on adding a comfort seat, then even more so. IIRC, the seat height is around 33-33.5 inches on the PP model. I rode a PP like that one with a Corbin seat and was definitely tip toeing at 5' 10" tall, 32in inseam.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Go with the BMW--in the long run you will be happier-not as much wow factor as the Duc but rock solid--you already know how BMW's are, again the GS does everything well---but nothing great, you can get the BMW serviced close to home --the Duc -not so much

Reactions: Xyst

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I don't know if there's reason to be wary of it, that's up to you. But, the Pikes Peak model IS taller than the normal models. If you plan on adding a comfort seat, then even more so. IIRC, the seat height is around 33-33.5 inches on the PP model. I rode a PP like that one with a Corbin seat and was definitely tip toeing at 5' 10" tall, 32in inseam.
That sounds a bit intimidating to me at almost 3 inches shorter. Thanks

·
Registered
369 Posts
I bet there's a lot of people waiting like vultures for your decision on the classifieds section of the forum! Not to mention those who probably have already sent PMs trying to get a head start!

As mentioned above there's no right/wrong answer to your question, both are great machines. If you can find someone with a Multi (any liquid-cooled 1200/1260) close to you that would allow you to go for a spin it would be great, some suspension differences vs the PP but you'd get 95% of the experience. I believe it's worth trying.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Go with the BMW--in the long run you will be happier-not as much wow factor as the Duc but rock solid--you already know how BMW's are, again the GS does everything well---but nothing great, you can get the BMW serviced close to home --the Duc -not so much
I’m thinking you are probably right. I left the wow factor behind many years ago when I sold my K bike and I don‘t really feel the need for speed. The better handling of the Duc is what sounds so tempting but I remember being pretty content with what the GS could do. (I’m not what I consider an expert rider and never will be).

I’m taking one more look at the bikes on Tuesday and if nothing changes for the worse I’ll take the deal and probably list the Ducati (on here first) in a couple of weeks.

I really appreciate y’all taking the time to educate me. Really has been helpful.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
put a good set of street rubber on the GS--forget dual sport tyres --unless you want to go off road--but if you want to go off road then purchase a KLR650 for that and have the GS for normal / touring riding--I have an 07 F650gs Dakar-had dual sport tyres on it and it sucked-they scared the shit out of me--lack of feel ---I put Dunlop 90 % street & 10% off road tyres on it and it turned it into a much better bike to me at least, with these tyres I am pushing it to the edge of the tread-they handle great & stick like glue

Reactions: Dedmo

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I bet there's a lot of people waiting like vultures for your decision on the classifieds section of the forum! Not to mention those who probably have already sent PMs trying to get a head start!

As mentioned above there's no right/wrong answer to your question, both are great machines. If you can find someone with a Multi (any liquid-cooled 1200/1260) close to you that would allow you to go for a spin it would be great, some suspension differences vs the PP but you'd get 95% of the experience. I believe it's worth trying.
Thanks. Speaking about the classifieds, assuming I’m selling, is there anything specific that I should make note of for the listing? Pictures of anything that y‘all would want to inspect if you had the bike in front of you? Video of it idling to listen to? Etc.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Thanks. Speaking about the classifieds, assuming I’m selling, is there anything specific that I should make note of for the listing? Pictures of anything that y‘all would want to inspect if you had the bike in front of you? Video of it idling to listen to? Etc.
Again -I would not even start the Duc until the belts are done--most likely nothing would happen ---but if it did it could be very expensive

Reactions: Xyst

·
Registered
321 Posts
Tire date codes, any cracking in the tires, if any, mileage on dash, larger-than-normal gaps near body panels surrounding the gas tank (These expand with ethanol), Does the Fuel Guage Sensor work? (they're notoriously bad, so prolly not) and the other normal things if you were selling.

Forum specific things to include; just take a look at the "Read before you post" rules ;) Also, don't forget the price That's the #1 offense in that section by others.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Again -I would not even start the Duc until the belts are done--most likely nothing would happen ---but if it did it could be very expensive
This may be beyond my mechanical understanding but what would have happened that the belts would go bad just sitting in the garage for 4 years?

·
Super Moderator
5,969 Posts
I had a 2012 pikes Peak, it was a wonderful bike and I wish I had taken better care of it and that it did not have a weird display issue. But the engine was just perfect, hard to imagine a better sport touring motorcycle.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts