Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Buy'em, ride'em, keep the one you like the best.

Does it really make a difference whether you have a dealer nearby for the brand you keep? Do you expect that either bike is going to need service so often that this impacts your daily riding decision, and there is no other MC shop that you can take it to?

Likewise, many posts here about "that BMW dealer sucks so I'm not buying a BMW" is IMHO shortsighted. Buy the bike you want, and then don't go to the bad dealer. Go somewhere else if you have to (or do it yourself).

·
Registered
321 Posts
Please remember to get the Ducati sorted before starting it.

I.E: New belts at the absolute minimum.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Please remember to get the Ducati sorted before starting it.

I.E: New belts at the absolute minimum.
It’s beginning to sound like the Ducati might be more of a challenge to “test ride”. The GS is pretty much good to go and I can ride it the 50 miles to the dealer to catch up the overdue service. But I’m getting advice from a few folks that I should trailer the Ducati to the nearest dealer (over 100 miles) for service before even starting it. Maybe I should just sell it “as is” at a lower but reasonable price, skip the transport hassle and avoid the temptation of riding it. I would love to be able to work on it my self but lack the talent and the tools.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Wish I could keep both, and might for a short while but just can‘t justify both.
I can't justify one bike and I have 3 lol. BTW, I was in Asheville recently and could not find a Duc dealer. There is a very good BMW/KTM dealer in Biltmore.

·
Registered
321 Posts
It’s beginning to sound like the Ducati might be more of a challenge to “test ride”. The GS is pretty much good to go and I can ride it the 50 miles to the dealer to catch up the overdue service. But I’m getting advice from a few folks that I should trailer the Ducati to the nearest dealer (over 100 miles) for service before even starting it. Maybe I should just sell it “as is” at a lower but reasonable price, skip the transport hassle and avoid the temptation of riding it. I would love to be able to work on it my self but lack the talent and the tools.
Perhaps, but I wont tell you what to do. Belts aren't terribly hard to replace but on that model you do have to remove a lot of fairings and maybe the gas tank too? I cant remember 100% about the gas tank.

Again I ask, where are you located? (I see Western NC now)
lol I want a shot at purchasing this bike! (Reply and get your post count up lolol) Moreover, there should be a Carbon Windscreen included. They come with a clear and a carbon one new.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I can't justify one bike and I have 3 lol. BTW, I was in Asheville recently and could not find a Duc dealer. There is a very good BMW/KTM dealer in Biltmore.
Thanks. I gave them a call about what service the GS would need and if it would be ok to ride it there. Very helpful. One thing surprised me, they said the tires should be fine cause modern tires don’t decay like the way they used to when I was younger. Learned something!

·
Registered
321 Posts
If you go through with the deal be sure to post up some pictures of your new ride(s) in the welcome section!

·
Registered
2012 Multistrada Pikes Peak
9 Posts
If it’s any help, my buddy that I ride with has an R1200GS that he’s put about 17,000 miles on. I just sold my ‘07 Tiger 1050 and picked up a 2012 Multi Pikes Peak. He rode it right after I got it and is thinking about making the switch if Ducati goes back to a 17” front wheel. The GS is a great bike, and I’ve ridden his a handful of times. It does everything well, very well actually. But there is no wow factor. The Multi on the other hand, has so much character. Definitely more performance oriented than the GS, and feels like a smaller bike to throw around.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Thanks. I gave them a call about what service the GS would need and if it would be ok to ride it there. Very helpful. One thing surprised me, they said the tires should be fine cause modern tires don’t decay like the way they used to when I was younger. Learned something!
If I am correct your 2014 BMW is a LC(liquid cooled), 1200 with the ESA suspension, with the Factory Low height?
Did the BMW dealer say that you should change oil, all fluids - final drive, brake, clutch, and coolant? The valve service should be every 12,000 miles, oil change is every 6,000 and final drive is every two years. You could do all that work, but when I purchased my 2016, I had a few problems to take care of & I sent it off to the dealer. My fuel gauge did not work, turned out to be the light module & the front shock was leaking. So I bought new shocks and had the module fixed. The bike has not missed a beat since they looked over it. I did change the final drive fluid, there is only 180 milliliters of gear oil in there. I am going to change it every oil change, because I feel two years is way too long to let it go.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Any decent independent bike mechanics closer? The 1198 powered multi is easy to work on, it doesn't need shims or valve clearances so aside from the belts (which any competent mechanic can change) it's no different from any other bike for what you need. It's well and truly out of warranty, i don't understand the determination of people to use/trust dealers, most are villains............

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
If I am correct your 2014 BMW is a LC(liquid cooled), 1200 with the ESA suspension, with the Factory Low height?
Did the BMW dealer say that you should change oil, all fluids - final drive, brake, clutch, and coolant?

That is correct. The service guy in Asheville said all it needed was the fluids replaced and recommended putting in a new battery. He thought the tires should be fine and wasn’t concerned about me riding it the 50 miles to get it there. The fact that I‘m not much of a mechanic and the BMW sounds like it needs less maintenance work to keep it rolling is another reason I’m leaning towards selling the Ducati (And avoiding the temptation to even ride it)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Any decent independent bike mechanics closer? The 1198 powered multi is easy to work on, it doesn't need shims or valve clearances so aside from the belts (which any competent mechanic can change) it's no different from any other bike for what you need. It's well and truly out of warranty, i don't understand the determination of people to use/trust dealers, most are villains............
I have haven’t been able to identify any (at least through the internet) nearby (I’m west of Asheville) Maybe there is someone out there that is known to the forum?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Sorry about the redundant jumble of pictures. Still figuring out how the forum works.

·
Registered
619 Posts
If you end up taking both and selling the Multi, please don't just flip it to a dealer. Likely as not they'll just clean it up and sell it to some goober who won't take care of it. Not like the bike is a museum piece or anything, but it's probably one of the nicest examples of that generation of Multi left. It deserves to be taken care of.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
If you end up taking both and selling the Multi, please don't just flip it to a dealer. Likely as not they'll just clean it up and sell it to some goober who won't take care of it. Not like the bike is a museum piece or anything, but it's probably one of the nicest examples of that generation of Multi left. It deserves to be taken care of.
I agree and feel I owe it to the sellers dad to “find it a good home”. It looks to be a really good package deal so I wont need top dollar to sell it and still feel good about what I’ll end up out of pocket for the GS, assuming that’s the one I keep. (Financially it would probably be better to sell the GS and keep the MS but I know I loved the GS when I had one a decade ago and the MS just seems like more sportbike than I can appreciate). If I ever get enough posts I’ll list it here first.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I currently have both - in the process of selling my GSA. The GS is more of a utilitarian bike if you ask me; better of the two for very long distances and reliability. The Multi is much more fun to ride around town and just about anywhere else. So, my opinion would be unless you're getting ready to ride farther then a desmo service in one trip, then keep the multi.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I currently have both - in the process of selling my GSA. The GS is more of a utilitarian bike if you ask me; better of the two for very long distances and reliability. The Multi is much more fun to ride around town and just about anywhere else. So, my opinion would be unless you're getting ready to ride farther then a desmo service in one trip, then keep the multi.
I plan to do a 400 mile trip a few times a year but mostly will be doing joy riding day trips in the NC mountains. I was planning to ride the Mulit before deciding cause it does sound like it might be more fun on the short runs and perhaps that would change my mind about keeping the GS. But based on some of the concerns I’ve heard about needing to do some work on the Ducati that’s been dormant a few years before putting it back on the road makes it difficult to test ride it. So the easy solution seems to be to sell it “as is”.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
The reliability of the Ducati is a bit of a concern as well since I’ve yet to find a service option closer than a 3 hours ride.

21 - 40 of 82 Posts